Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 06:25 PM

17,712 posts, read 9,181,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Asking if her meet-and-greets normally include dinner wouldn't be off-putting, depending on how it's done.
Why would he ask her that? It makes no sense. It wasn't a meet-and-greet, and he obviously asked her out to dinner. It was clearly a date that she didn't want to label as a date for whatever reason.

Perhaps she didn't want him to have sexual expectations afterwards? Who knows...

Quote:
Her comment that it wasn't a date would have been off-putting to some guys, but she clearly wasn't worried about offending the person buying her dinner.
Why so much focus on him paying? Again, he asked her out to dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 06:27 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Why would he ask her that? It makes no sense. It wasn't a meet-and-greet, and he obviously asked her out to dinner. It was clearly a date that she didn't want to label as a date for whatever reason.

Perhaps she didn't want him to have sexual expectations afterwards? Who knows...

Because if it's not a date, then she shouldn't assume that he pay.

She's playing dumb. She wants all of the benefits of a date, without calling it a date.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:29 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
I wish people put THIS much thought into medical research, environmental sciences, etc......

Old 02-22-2019, 03:56 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
Asking if her meet-and-greets normally include dinner wouldn't be off-putting, depending on how it's done. Her comment that it wasn't a date would have been off-putting to some guys, but she clearly wasn't worried about offending the person buying her dinner.
This, exactly. Mikala gets it.
I agree her reaction is off-putting and I personally would have asked for her definition of a date. If you can't ask another person a question, time to move on. The inability to ask a question is definitely an orange flag for me.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:56 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Where’s OP?
Since he hasn’t come back to clarify whether or not he paid fo her dinner, but let the thread continue in the direction of he paid for dinner, I have an additional question.
Your date said: “Ok I’m leaving then,” and she was just kidding. Presumably you had this conversation in the restaurant.

So she said it’s not a date, but you paid for her dinner anyway?

To answer the threads title: Should We Clarify First? You should. You state that this is the third time you’ve been in this position. That way there will be less promotion of the “Women just want a free meal” tales going around.

Don’t pay for someone’s dinner, even if you’re the one who invited them out to dinner, if you then are told: This is not a date.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:07 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Next time that you take her out, after the meal take out a quarter. When she says what are you doing? Then tell her since you're unsure of what anything is, you'll flip for the bill.
I bet you it'll be a date then.

If she argues, you tell her that you've talked to your co-workers and that they weren't sure if it was a date either.
BWAhahahahaha! I love it!

Good to have you back, superduperman!

Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

lol. Because her assumption that it wasn't a date makes no sense. Because he asked her out to dinner. Obviously. Yet still, somehow, she did still think it was a meet-and-greet (or said she did). Even though......as you say.....he was paying.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Where’s OP?
Since he hasn’t come back to clarify whether or not he paid fo her dinner, but let the thread continue in the direction of he paid for dinner, I have an additional question.
Your date said: “Ok I’m leaving then,” and she was just kidding. Presumably you had this conversation in the restaurant.

So she said it’s not a date, but you paid for her dinner anyway?

To answer the threads title: Should We Clarify First? You should. You state that this is the third time you’ve been in this position. That way there will be less promotion of the “Women just want a free meal” tales going around.

Don’t pay for someone’s dinner, even if you’re the one who invited them out to dinner, if you then are told: This is not a date.
Yup. She says, "a DATE?! No way, this was a meet-and-greet". You say, "oh, great! So you're paying for your dinner, right? It's a meet-and-greet."

OP, RbccL wants to know if you paid for her dinner. She feels the rest of us are making an assumption, only. What I'd like to know, is---is she hot? She must have something going for her, for you to politely and patiently overlook her odd remark, which some guys would have found off-putting.

Please come back to your thread, to answer the burning questions, that inquiring minds need the answers to.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
To me, I can understand some of the confusion, depending on the verbiage you used. If you said something like "Hey, would you like to meet up and do blah blah blah", it MIGHT signal to her that this is not a date, it's 2 aquaintances (or just 2 people) meeting up. And it might imply that 'this' is just preliminary, and be prepared to pay my own way.

If you say something like "I'd like to take you out to do ************" that implies (to me) an actual date.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 AM

17,712 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
To me, I can understand some of the confusion, depending on the verbiage you used. If you said something like "Hey, would you like to meet up and do blah blah blah", it MIGHT signal to her that this is not a date, it's 2 aquaintances (or just 2 people) meeting up. And it might imply that 'this' is just preliminary, and be prepared to pay my own way.

If you say something like "I'd like to take you out to do ************" that implies (to me) an actual date.
Good point. It's not exactly clear how he approached it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships