Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:12 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,875 times

Advertisements

I recall seeing a video about dating and relationships, and the topic was, "If you have to ask if it's a date while you're ON a date..." well, that's where it can get awkward.

Thankfully, this has only happened 3 times in my life, but it is rather off-putting when you ask someone out, you buy them dinner, and then either part way through or at the end of the date, I would say, "This is a fun date, I had a nice time" or "I enjoyed the date"

And they stop you cold and say, "This isn't a date, what made you think that?" The other night, I had this happened. She said she even had to clarify with her co-workers that it wasn't a "date". Apparently, they knew she was meeting me. If you have to clarify with your own co-workers, that means I'm aligned with the normal populace, right? lol She figured it was just a meet n greet, nothing more.

Then I asked, "So what's your definition of date" because I'm well aware everyone has their own definition of things when it comes to dating.

Then she joked, "Okay, I'm leaving then. No I'm kidding, lol!" The "date" did go well, she was flirting with me, and at the end, said I actually looked more attractive than my photos. Said she was available this weekend anytime, to get together.

I can't help but to think, do you really need to say, "Would you like to go out on a DATE" with me, with air quotes around the word "date"? That way you don't wind up with confusing during the so-called "date"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 04:07 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
Stay seated kids there is another one.

“Ok kids, What is something we never want to do at work?”

“DATE SOMEONE AT WORK!”

“Very good kids.”

OP: She doesn’t want the people at work to know you went on a date probably because of what is written above.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:12 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
It is clear the word "date" is a loaded word for her. My guess is that she thought you were using it on purpose rather than just using it casually and it triggered her.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
It is clear the word "date" is a loaded word for her. My guess is that she thought you were using it on purpose rather than just using it casually and it triggered her.
Yep..."triggered" a quite often used term I keep seeing pop up on social media. lol

Old 02-21-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yep..."triggered" a quite often used term I keep seeing pop up on social media. lol
It set her off in other words. She felt the need to make things clear.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
It set her off in other words. She felt the need to make things clear.
Yeah, but there was no reason to be triggered.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but there was no reason to be triggered.
Her reaction is the orange flag that is often spoken about. But her reaction triggered you.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Her reaction is the orange flag that is often spoken about. But her reaction triggered you.
I wasn't triggered, as it was a natural response. "Triggered" ties to more of a psychological trauma I would think. I personally think it's a mis-used word used too often.

Old 02-21-2019, 05:36 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
I wasn't triggered, as it was a natural response. "Triggered" ties to more of a psychological trauma I would think. I personally think it's a mis-used word used too often.
Uhm...way too much semantics here...avoid misunderstandings by more clearly specifying before the "event". It seems you are very picky about using the right terms and she is sensitive as well.

Why don't you specify your intentions up front...and also reconsider seeing people at work outside of work if you work at all closely together. Easier to avoid these uncomfortable issues that way.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:35 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
So you met someone on a dating site, planned a get together, and she didn't want to call it a date but a meet and greet? So?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships