Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,995 times

Advertisements

I feel that people who look at those in a wheelchair different is shallow. They are still human, have feelings and still are men\women. The one that does not take time to know them for them misses out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 49,062 times
Default look at the person, not the chair.

It absolutely amazes me that so many people in this world would not date a man in a wheelchair. I do not see people in wheelchairs as handicapped, I see them as they are standing on their own 2 feet. I have always wanted to date a man in a wheelchair for the fact of showing him a great time and seeing that the chair means nothing to me. You love with your heart, not your legs. The chair is only a form of transportation nothing else. It does not make the person, and the person is no less for having to use one, as this could happen to anyone anytime. I think women who do not give men in wheelchairs the time of day should be very ashamed of themselves, as they could wind up in the same position and have their partner leave them. Think about this, and then tell a man in a wheelchair you will not date him. That would take a lot of nerve. This subject is very dear to my heart, and I would definitely date a man in a wheelchair any day and show him a great time. Don't ever give up! There are more women like me out there, just it took me so long to get the internet to write this.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
How many women in wheelchairs did you date before your accident?

I don't know about "most" men, but I don't think that would factor in as much normally. Actually, it might increase the chances out in public, as they might subconsciously seem more approachable.

For me personally, my first real crush I recall was the 12yr old girl down the street from my grandparents place with MS who was wheelchair bound (I was 6 maybe). I made every excuse possible to visit that house. So I might be more than a little biased.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 PM

6 posts, read 49,062 times
Default look at the person, not the chair.

It absolutely amazes me that so many people do not give wheelchairs a chance. This is a subject very dear to my heart, as I do not see wheelchair users as handicapped. I am very lucky because I see them as standing on their own two feet. Do you love with your legs? No. The chair is for transportation only and it does not make the person who they are. For shame on all girls who do not give men in wheelchairs the time of day. Remember: accidents can happen to anyone at anytime. How would you feel if you ended up in a wheelchair and your partner left you? Think about this, and then have the nerve to tell a man in a wheelchair that you will not even consider him because of the wheelchair. And also the person who wrote that women would be scared of how to act and bring up accident and feeling questions. If it is the right person, the chair will not even be a factor, and the man will be willing to open up and tell of his accident, and all other personal questions, just like any other relationship. Come on girls, let's not be heartless. Look at the person and their heart, not their wheelchairs. Never give up looking for the right person, all you wheelchair users out there, there are more girls like me out there- it just took me a while to get the internet so I could post this. I would certainly date a man in a wheelchair and show him a GREAT time!

Old 06-03-2009, 04:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I knew one guy in a wheelchair. He never lacked for female companionship...at least not when I saw him. And he seemed to be pretty upbeat. He sang karaoke at some of the same places I did.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:08 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onrycowboy67 View Post
I was in a truck wreck 22 yrs ago and have been paralyzed from the chest down since. Is being in a wheelchair that big of an issue with women? About 75% of the women I meet online stop talking when they find out I'm in a wheelchair. Seems like it's always the ones I really interested in too.

Being in a wheelchair hasnt slowed me down any. I have a college degree, job, pay taxes, own a small ranch. I'm new to this forum and thought it would be a good place to get women's thoughts on this.
I think if the women stopped talking to you, then you were the lucky one...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,367 times
My brother is in a wheelchair and let me tell you, he's never had issues picking up women. Matter of fact, I think he does better than alot of men that are not in a wheelchair!! Well now he is engaged so he's settling down, but before that, he had women literally fighting over him. LOL!! The moral of the story is that there are women out here that really don't mind. Maybe you are more self conscious about it and it shows. And at the same time, if a woman has an issue with it, then she's just not the woman for you. Eventually you will meet the right one and she will accept you exactly as you are.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
How many women in wheelchairs did you date before your accident?
Maybe he didn't know any...........

Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onrycowboy67 View Post
I was in a truck wreck 22 yrs ago and have been paralyzed from the chest down since. Is being in a wheelchair that big of an issue with women? About 75% of the women I meet online stop talking when they find out I'm in a wheelchair. Seems like it's always the ones I really interested in too.

Being in a wheelchair hasnt slowed me down any. I have a college degree, job, pay taxes, own a small ranch. I'm new to this forum and thought it would be a good place to get women's thoughts on this.
i'm sorry you are feeling this way.

however, not all women think like this. I think society still feels uneasy at persons with disabilities, so maybe it is just a reflection of this.

Good luck in finding a mate.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
In all internet honesty - you can look away now if you want -
my issue is a high personal function embarrassment quotient. Residual shyness? Lack of self-esteem? Poor potty training as child? I don't know where it comes from but its a hurdle for me. I have no idea how some married couples poop in front of each other etc.
Biggest fear is having something happen and having someone else have to wipe my a**. So while I maybe wouldn't mind doing the reverse for a loved one I tend feel mortified on their behalf and it gets really hard. I realize that is a normal function and most people go through it and it goes on in hospitals and home during temporary illness and long-term illness but its really hard. I never even liked fa** jokes.
So for me, if I could get past that with someone fine. Its not the wheelchair by itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships