Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 30,710 times

Advertisements

I was in a truck wreck 22 yrs ago and have been paralyzed from the chest down since. Is being in a wheelchair that big of an issue with women? About 75% of the women I meet online stop talking when they find out I'm in a wheelchair. Seems like it's always the ones I really interested in too.

Being in a wheelchair hasnt slowed me down any. I have a college degree, job, pay taxes, own a small ranch. I'm new to this forum and thought it would be a good place to get women's thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,287,579 times
I guess maybe depending on the age of the women? I don't know.
I'm 49 and I would not have a problem with it. Reason being is that it's not your fault you had a wreck and ended up in a wheelchair.
The reason I mentioned age is because when one is younger, we are invinceable. As we get older, we think differently. (hopefully)
We never know what's going to happen to us in life. I asked my s/o one time if he would still be with me if I got some bad disease or was in a bad car accident and paralyzed. He said he would and I feel the same way.
I know an older couple. The man went into the hospital for a simple operation, had a shot in his back to numb the spine (can't remember what the shot is called) and ended up paralyzed from the waist down. It screwed up some plans they had made as far as travelling was concerned but they have adjusted.
I did at one time go out with a guy in a wheelchair and he whined too much so that was a turnoff but you don't seem to be that type of guy.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:43 PM

269 posts, read 809,662 times
First off, as I'm sure you already know, people tend to REALLY fall in love with someone they already know a lot about and have spent time with. I'm not ruling out meeting people on the internet, but I think you should start dating outside the net. People are evidently "picky" and shallow about who they date when they have MILLIONS to choose from online... All it takes is one click to make you go away. I'm sure everyone's done it... You know, get on myspace, look at people's pictures... Too ugly, NEXT... Not pretty enough, NEXT... They can "next" all they want because they know there's a million more to look through.

If your being in a wheelchair is a deterrent for women online, I guarantee that's the reason why. Because they don't really know you. I personally have dated someone I met online, but only because we met in a forum where he stated he had just moved here 2 weeks prior and had no friends. He seemed cool so we hung out for a while then started dating.

In "real life" (as opposed to online) people are less shallow and see you for who you really are. There's no button to click to make you go away. There's time to REALLY get to know you, and see who you really are. And since they know you personally, they already know you're in a wheelchair. Therefore there's no surprises.

I just think you're looking in the wrong places. Stop looking online! This place is for information, not dates.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,867,655 times
Well I'm not sure where you're talking/meeting women online but if it's a dating site it seems to me that people come to those sites with a list of "deal breakers" (hate that word but anyway, I digress) and requirements up front. It's an unfortunate fact of life that many people cannot cope with difference or things they don't understand.

You being in a wheelchair is not something that would bother me in terms of us being friends or getting to know each other but I can see why it would be a problem for a lot of people if they're working from a checklist. It's not right but it is the way things are I suspect.

Working on the idea that there's someone for everyone I'd say just be yourself, keep looking and she'll turn up when you least expect it.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM

549 posts, read 1,925,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onrycowboy67 View Post
Is being in a wheelchair that big of an issue with women?
I'm happy that you're doing well in spite of what's happened to you. Though, you really think you being in a wheelchair wouldn't be a deal breaker for some girls? I mean, some girls have height requirements.

If you're trying to date some girls online, why not be upfront about being in a wheelchair? That way you're not wasting your time.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 PM

739 posts, read 2,178,162 times
Onrycowboy, I'm in a wheelchair too. I'm married now, but I still flirt a lot and, to be honest, I never had much trouble meeting women when I was single.

If I can give you some advice as a brother...pay attention to your grooming, dress well, get great haircuts and wear nice shoes and boots even though you can't walk. You'll present better but it's also good for your self esteem and self confidence to go out in the world looking fantastic.

Smile. So many disabled people isolate themselves with their own body language. Smile and make eye contact. An easy gracious smile that finds life amusing and gentle eye contact that shows people you're okay and you're engaged with the world. Find some online articles about flirting and put it to practice everywhere you go.

Keep your wheelchair looking good. Don't be ashamed of it, or minimize it, make it work for you. I'm using a Quickie GPV lightweight sports chair, bright yellow...VERY bright yellow. It says mountain bike more than it says medical equipment. Look over your chair and see would it benefit with some cosmetic updating, new tires, or take it to a bicycle shop for a fresh coat of paint.

When I go to the grocery store, and want a little friendly conversation, I just look at what's on the top shelf. Never fails, within a minute there's a really great looking lady asking do I need help reaching something. After that, it's up to me to be real. There are plenty of people who will want to engage with you if you meet them half way and you'll meet that right one. If you're doing all this anyway, just hang in there and your lady will show up.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,159,895 times
Quote:
I was in a truck wreck 22 yrs ago and have been paralyzed from the chest down since. Is being in a wheelchair that big of an issue with women?
How many women in wheelchairs did you date before your accident?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
How many women in wheelchairs did you date before your accident?
That's a very good question. Out of reps for ya...

Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,227,228 times
Quote:
I was in a truck wreck 22 yrs ago and have been paralyzed from the chest down since. Is being in a wheelchair that big of an issue with women? About 75% of the women I meet online stop talking when they find out I'm in a wheelchair. Seems like it's always the ones I really interested in too.

Being in a wheelchair hasnt slowed me down any. I have a college degree, job, pay taxes, own a small ranch. I'm new to this forum and thought it would be a good place to get women's thoughts on this.
They're probably just scared of the unknown - I wouldn't have a problem in principle but realistically I'd be thinking all sorts of "how"s and worrying about whether I'd offend you if I did X or Y - is this presumptuous, is that patronising... These days we're all just terrified of offending anyone and it can make you avoid certain situations, which must be immensely frustrating from your perspective.

In any case, it's great that wildfauve can give you some first hand advice, but I do think that when the right woman comes along she'll want to take time to find out more and not just look for an easier option instead.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,783,228 times
Maybe I'm just insensitive and not seeing the wider view of things, but why would any woman choose to date a guy in a wheel chair when she could have many more choices among guys who weren't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships