Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 07:50 AM

83 posts, read 57,728 times

Advertisements

But feminists say men and women are equal, then in such a scenario should it not be equal?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:56 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newne View Post
But feminists say men and women are equal, then in such a scenario should it not be equal?
Yes, they should both be equally scared of being held up.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:58 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Quote:
I'm not a feminist.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:59 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
I would say rather that in THEORY, men and women are equivalent.

In any specific situation all bets are off. If I was with a clearly disabled man in a wheelchair I might respond differently than if I were with a Navy Seal! But perhaps it is smarter for the person less able to defend themselves to flee and try to get help? Of course if one person flees then there is no one to "defend" so maybe both should make a run for it?

Who knows? You clearly have an agenda you want to support so no matter what is said here you will keep making adjustments to the situation you describe to make it work out for you. Have fun.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Fear is an equalizer

Old 02-24-2019, 09:19 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I would say rather that in THEORY, men and women are equivalent.

In any specific situation all bets are off. If I was with a clearly disabled man in a wheelchair I might respond differently than if I were with a Navy Seal! But perhaps it is smarter for the person less able to defend themselves to flee and try to get help? Of course if one person flees then there is no one to "defend" so maybe both should make a run for it?

Who knows? You clearly have an agenda you want to support so no matter what is said here you will keep making adjustments to the situation you describe to make it work out for you. Have fun.

_______

Indeed. You want someone to say yes she's a coward?

Consider your real goal here, OP.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
I am a regular at a pretty seedy bar....

When guys get into a fight. People get hurt. Seriously hurt. Police get called and people get arrested.

When girls get into a fight. Rarely does it escalate to the same level. Sure... some people get hurt but not to the same extent. Guys stay out of it because laying a hand, even if to try and defuse the situation, could involve another guy which is what we all want to avoid. Police rarely get called.... its all taken care of by the bouncers.

In general... of course there are exceptions... typical male can over power very quickly a smaller female and cause some real hurt.

It is what it is... that's just the differences between genders.... it is the reality.

So in the scenario described in OP, the woman running off isn't about being a coward. It is about knowing when it is a good time to stand and when it is best to exit... especially if she is up against a significantly larger threat. Similarly, a single guy choosing to avoid a frontal assault from 5 other guys isn't a coward either. There is a fine line between being brave and stupid.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:37 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
You don't seem to understand feminism and would rather redefine it so that you can paint females in bad light.

Feminism defined:

the advocacy of women's rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes.

wiki:

Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social equality of sexes.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish educational and professional opportunities for women that are equal to those for men.

Feminism isn't about ignoring or eliminating the natural differences of genders.... Its not about making women more male nor castrating/emasculation of men to achieve equality on ALL levels.

Sure there are way far off feminists that voice loudly their irrational views..... while I tend to side with feminists (mostly traditional ones of years ago), I find those crazy feminists very annoying and off base. They actually do more harm than good for the cause (and the OPs reaction to them is one case of it). For the most part, feminism has achieved its goals or set the direction in motion. Its time for those far off feminists of today to find other causes to get upset over.

Last edited by usayit; 02-24-2019 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
Quote:
While hopefully no one ends up in a scenario like this, I am curious. Say a man and woman were held up by someone with a knife/gun and told them to give them anything they had; while obviously if say the man ran away leaving his woman even if she wasn't hurt he would be viewed as a total coward and awful boyfriend/husband, in the same scenario if the woman just ran away leaving her boyfriend/husband and he got injured/killed would you view her also a coward? Now, I get it, as a man it's going to be easier to defend each other and I certainly agree with it, I know I would definitely defend my fiance no matter what. But
So what is it exactly, a woman is expected to DO in this scenario? Beat the assailant with...her cellphone? He manicured nails or high heels?

Old 02-24-2019, 09:49 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
How do people conjur up these questions?

I suppose it just depends. If the woman in question believes in chivalry then, no, she can’t be considered a coward. If she believes in today’s brand of feminism the it’s fair to say she is a coward in your scenario.
Too much tv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships