Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:02 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times

Advertisements

short term: budget expenses. All of them. including the frivolous spending.
Long term: get to the heart of why this became an issue and form a longer term solution.

She’s presumably able to understand what overspending is and the repercussions of it, so there are zero legitimate excuses to ignore the money issues. She either wants to address whatever her problems are or she wants to continue running things as they currently are.
Same goes for you.

It’s hard to believe that things got so out of control overnight, this type of issues is usually the result of a cumulative series of events that have gone unchecked for so long that they have become behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 12:09 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Right? This is all kind of a head scratcher.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:36 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
OP, isn't your house showing signs of hoarding if she is buying $8,000 worth of stuff every month? Where does she put it all?

Old 03-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va-routerx View Post
I simply have 50% of my paycheck go to an account that only she uses. It's direct deposit. She burns through that 2K within a week typically and then it's down to 0 and/or overdraft fees for a week. Most of those purchases are non-essential items (e.g. not bills, groceries).

The other 50% of the money plus any side work money goes to an account I use to pay mortgage, bills, etc.

That being said, agree we don't act like life partners. I do feel as if (rightly or wrongly) that I'm keeping the boat afloat alone. I think your advice for help is a good one.

So...you're saying, for the last 3 years, you have been depositing $125,000 YEARLY, into an account that is basically her play money.

This is beyond the realm of believable. Sorry

Old 03-06-2019, 02:51 PM

561 posts, read 323,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This is what happens when one person controls the money and doles it out like a parent.

You’re treating her like your dependent, not your life partner. You need a reboot, preferably with professional help to understand how you view the roles in your marriage.
I wish my parent gave me 2k a week to spend.....

My guess is she either has a spending addiction or she's just materialistic and bored. Does she hide the purchases from you? Does she seem to be rubbing it in your face or is she smuggling in packages while you aren't looking? I think a counselor would be a good place to start because you can't really change a behavior until you know why it's happening.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
I wish my parent gave me 2k a week to spend.....

My guess is she either has a spending addiction or she's just materialistic and bored. Does she hide the purchases from you? Does she seem to be rubbing it in your face or is she smuggling in packages while you aren't looking? I think a counselor would be a good place to start because you can't really change a behavior until you know why it's happening.

Heck, I'm wondering if they even live in the same house together.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:04 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I'll tell you the first thing you should do is open up a separate checking account that she has no access to. Then, transfer into the joint account her "allowance", whatever YOU determine it should be. Take control! And of course, cancel the credit cards. That's a more time consuming thing that will turn into an argument for sure. You have to do it though.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'll tell you the first thing you should do is open up a separate checking account that she has no access to. Then, transfer into the joint account her "allowance", whatever YOU determine it should be. Take control! And of course, cancel the credit cards. That's a more time consuming thing that will turn into an argument for sure. You have to do it though.

This is EXACTLY what he HAS been doing. Somehow, he came to the decision that $2000 was the right allowance. This is so weird...he's the one completely in control. But the only remedy he can think of is to legally separate from his wife.

The facts as he has presented them so far, are really bizarre.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:24 PM

971 posts, read 688,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va-routerx View Post
Need advice:
Three years ago, I put extra effort into getting our family "over the financial hump" so we could get out of debt, get ahead, and buy a bigger (not extravagant) home. I delivered (in my mind) by making $250K+ each of the past few years. Once I started making more money, my wife started spending more - a lot more - to the rate of $5-6K per month. Since I pay for all major bills (e.g mortgage, cars, etc.) most of her expenses are on clothing, food, and nice to have (not required items). It got to the point where I would deposit $2K in a checking account for her and within 3-4 days, the money would be gone. In November of last year, we paid $800 in overdraft fees because she was burning through the cash so quickly.
This is heartbreaking to me. I'm up at night trying to figure out how to keep up and in reality, we should be enjoying life, not stressing over money. When typical families are struggling to get by just to get their bills paid on 80K a year, we have no excuse for this. I talked to her about it, she was embarrassed but didn't have a response.
I don't understand what is at the root of this issue, but I do believe some of it has to do with a lack of respect. If she respected me, she would respect the time and effort it takes for me to make this money. She tosses it into the wind.
I'm thinking of what my backup plan is - because if I do nothing, we will end up old and broke - a burden on our children.
I'm going to sit her down again and give her a strict budget. If she cannot adhere to it, then I need a backup plan. I cannot go another year like this.
I'm thinking of a legal separation, where she cannot access my funds. I don't want a divorce, I promised to care for her, but I also don't want her to damage our family. I need to stop her from doing this. Until I get legal protection from her - I feel as if she will continue to throw our money away.
Anyone face this type of situation? What did you do?
Define nice to have items. I don't see how anyone could spend that much money on food and clothes..

Old 03-06-2019, 03:25 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is EXACTLY what he HAS been doing. Somehow, he came to the decision that $2000 was the right allowance. This is so weird...he's the one completely in control. But the only remedy he can think of is to legally separate from his wife.

The facts as he has presented them so far, are really bizarre.
That is bizarre. I don't know how old his kids are, but the wife should work at least part time and use that as her spending money. Its ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships