Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 22,025 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. So I’m in a dilemma and I really need advice because I’m not really sure how to move forward or even address the situation.

So first, here’s a little backround about us. So me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years now. Some of the things that really drew me to him was his adventurous spirit, love to travel, and his big heart. It’s always been really important to me to travel and see the world, especially since my parents have been making me travel since a young age because they aren’t from America. When we first met one of the first things that sparked our interest was we both needed people to travel with and we agreed to see the world together.

So during our two almost 2 years of being together, the only place we’ve been was Vegas �� & that was with his brother and his sister. Ive been expressing to him for the past year that I really wanted to go to Aruba. However, it hasn’t been much of a priority for him. Last week, his sister calls him and asks if he wants to go to Aruba with her & her daughter. Of course he says yes. It kind of annoyed me because whenever she asks hm to do something he jumps. This past Christmas was our first Christmas ever together & we were gonna make Christmas breakfast and Christmas and spend the morning watching Christmas movies. His sister calls him st 10am and says she needs him to come help her set up tables. So guess what he does? He leaves Christmas morning to go help her set up tables. We’ve been talking about getting married and engaged and he tells me that as soon as his money is right we’ll get engaged. But all of his siblings are getting dirt bikes this summer and now all of sudden he just has to spend $2,000 on a dirt bike so he can ride with them. Also, me & him just has a big argument about a month ago & he goes to his sister and tells her every little detail and now they’re telling him to leave me. He is 28 but I feel like he very too much influenced by them and does anything they say. But, he is the youngest of 5, so I understand why he may be influenced by them. I asked him if I’ll ever be the number one priority in his life and he basically told me that until he’s married his sister and siblings and mom will ALWAYS come before me. He never has my back and always lets them talk bad about me.
Why would i want to wait till marriage for you to prove I’m the #1 woman in your life? What if it never changes?? I really don’t know what to do or if I’m being dramatic. I feel like he’s very attached them and it’s gonna be hard for him to detach. I also have fears that he’s gonna end up just like them. They’re all in their mid 30s and none of them are married or even in successful relationships. his brother and sister are mid 30s and they live in the same house. his sister lives upstairs and his brother lives in the basement. . They try to give him advice but they done even know what they’re doing. I try to encourage him to do better than the people that are around him but I fear he will end up like them. Single and average. Is that mean to say? I don’t really know how to feel about all of this. how should I even approach this?

Also, his mom has told me that all of his girlfriends and boyfriends girlfriends don’t like their family. It’s kind of like they take pride in that???? They’re not very friendly or welcoming either.

Last edited by Katana94; 03-10-2019 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana94 View Post
Hey guys. So I’m in a dilemma and I really need advice because I’m not really sure how to move forward or even address the situation.

So first, here’s a little backround about us. So me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years now. Some of the things that really drew me to him was his adventurous spirit, love to travel, and his big heart. It’s always been really important to me to travel and see the world, especially since my parents have been making me travel since a young age because they aren’t from America. When we first met one of the first things that sparked our interest was we both needed people to travel with and we agreed to see the world together.

So during our two almost 2 years of being together, the only place we’ve been was Vegas �� & that was with his brother and his sister. Ive been expressing to him for the past year that I really wanted to go to Aruba. However, it hasn’t been much of a priority for him. Last week, his sister calls him and asks if he wants to go to Aruba with her & her daughter. Of course he says yes. It kind of annoyed me because whenever she asks hm to do something he jumps. This past Christmas was our first Christmas ever together & we were gonna make Christmas breakfast and Christmas and spend the morning watching Christmas movies. His sister calls him st 10am and says she needs him to come help her set up tables. So guess what he does? He leaves Christmas morning to go help her set up tables. We’ve been talking about getting married and engaged and he tells me that as soon as his money is right we’ll get engaged. But all of his siblings are getting dirt bikes this summer and now all of sudden he just has to spend $2,000 on a dirt bike so he can ride with them. Also, me & him just has a big argument about a month ago & he goes to his sister and tells her every little detail and now they’re telling him to leave me. He is 28 but I feel like he very too much influenced by them and does anything they say. But, he is the youngest of 5, so I understand why he may be influenced by them. I asked him if I’ll ever be the number one priority in his life and he basically told me that until he’s married his sister and siblings and mom will ALWAYS come before me. He never has my back and always lets them talk bad about me.
Why would i want to wait till marriage for you to prove I’m the #1 woman in your life? What if it never changes?? I really don’t know what to do or if I’m being dramatic. I feel like he’s very attached them and it’s gonna be hard for him to detach. I also have fears that he’s gonna end up just like them. They’re all in their mid 30s and none of them are married or even in successful relationships. his brother and sister are mid 30s and they live in the same house. his sister lives upstairs and his brother lives in the basement. . They try to give him advice but they done even know what they’re doing. I try to encourage him to do better than the people that are around him but I fear he will end up like them. Single and average. Is that mean to say? I don’t really know how to feel about all of this. how should I even approach this?
Well, yes, you are being dramatic, and yes, that was a mean thing to say.

But the thing is ... he's not going to change. You've spent the past two years seeing his reality. That's what dating is for.

So stop seeing this situation the way you WISH it was and see it the way it really IS. It's time to understand the lesson you've been taught and move forward without him.

You will never change his family dynamic, and you really should not try. You need to find someone more compatible for you.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:49 PM

4,497 posts, read 4,992,137 times
Above post says it all !! Take the advice.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:06 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
OP, I got only halfway through. The fact that he tells you he'll do the engagement & marriage thing "when his money's right" is all you need to know. He's not into you. The whole first half of your narrative screams, that he's not into you. He's more into his family, than he is into you. He's using money as an excuse for not moving forward with the relationship.

Get out. Move on. Don't look back. If he makes a fuss, don't believe him. Just get. out. The sooner you liberate yourself from this guy, the sooner you can move on to finding something better. You've already wasted 2 years on this guy. That's more than enough.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:17 PM

880 posts, read 526,068 times
You'll never be a priority. Either accept that or move on. Marriage will just make him uglier.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:21 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,244,854 times
Quote:
how should I even approach this?
Believe him.

He's already made it known that you're NOT a priority to him. Let him go and move forward with your life.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:38 PM

575 posts, read 335,411 times
5 actively communicating siblings is a disaster, moreso if he's youngest one.

As much as it hurts, and seems impossible, try seeing this as a bullet dodged, as there's no kids or marriage.

Just imagine he would spend $2k on a bike, while having a small kid, where every dollar counts....

Old 03-10-2019, 07:07 PM

6,766 posts, read 11,394,388 times
Him standing at an altar saying “I do” is not going to magically make you number one in his life. Listen to everyone above....leave him. Too much time wasted already.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:10 PM

2,944 posts, read 1,338,251 times
Quote:

Also, his mom has told me that all of his girlfriends and boyfriends girlfriends don’t like their family. It’s kind of like they take pride in that???? They’re not very friendly or welcoming either.

I stopped reading your post when I reached the deal breaker bolded above.

My friend, he has an enmeshed family--no one gets in, and no one gets out. So, if you're okay with ranking second, and you always will, to his family, by all means, stay with him and marry him. If not, get out.

I wouldn't tolerate being a man's afterthought for one minute.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:17 PM

9,332 posts, read 6,866,407 times
Clearly you’re not a priority for him. Do we you wish knowing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships