Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:07 PM

8,919 posts, read 7,681,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why have such expectations of a stranger? She may not be interested in a friendship, let alone a relationship. The poor woman only just moved in; why not simply be upbeat and neighborly, and let her set the tone? She may prefer to maintain a cordial distance. Or not. No one knows how she, or any other new neighbor, chooses to relate to neighbors.
Yeah I have agree with this.

I understanding wanting to be honest and make your feelings/attractions known before "someone else" does. But OP, barely knows anything about his woman. Let her settle in, be a decent person, and don't act like a horn dog. This is where I feel a lot of people go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 12:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,685,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why have such expectations of a stranger? She may not be interested in a friendship, let alone a relationship. The poor woman only just moved in; why not simply be upbeat and neighborly, and let her set the tone? She may prefer to maintain a cordial distance. Or not. No one knows how she, or any other new neighbor, chooses to relate to neighbors.
The OP has done that.

He explained his dilemma quite succinctly in his post. And the fact that he posted this in the Romantic Relationships subforum means he is thinking ahead IF things develop.

Sure, they are and may remain neighbors. And I guess it could be a funny story if they love happily ever after to reminisce about “that time when you pretended you didn’t know who I was.”

He’s just asking for advice on how to be a neighbor without being a fibber.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:33 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The OP has done that.

He explained his dilemma quite succinctly in his post. And the fact that he posted this in the Romantic Relationships subforum means he is thinking ahead IF things develop.

Sure, they are and may remain neighbors. And I guess it could be a funny story if they love happily ever after to reminisce about “that time when you pretended you didn’t know who I was.”

He’s just asking for advice on how to be a neighbor without being a fibber.
Right, I know. I wasn't posting to the OP, but to the member I quoted.

Being discreet with someone about knowing their celebrity status isn't fibbing, in any case. And the OP's dilemma, as he presented it, only exists IF he follows his usual habit in getting to know someone, by asking what their occupation is. As several here have pointed out, as long as he avoids that question, there's no dilemma. I haven't run into this practice of asking new neighbors what they do for a living, so to me, it's a non-issue. The OP could choose to make it a non-issue, too.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,322,376 times
I meet famous people from time to time. I don't get crazy; if we make eye contact, I nod acknowledgment and keep it moving. They just want to be left alone.

I did meet a local TV sportscaster one evening, some years ago. Gave a brief wave and he looked away sticking his nose in the air (pompous bastard!) Shortly after this he was fired from the station. Good for him!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:28 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,266,880 times
Okay, who is this famous woman, OP. Sinead O’Connor? Courteney Love?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:56 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,135,704 times
I don't know if this has been said or not, because I didn't read the thread yet. I don't care how famous someone is, I treat them the same way that I would treat anybody. Famous people are just people too, who happen to be famous. Many famous people are full of themselves anyway. Not really the type of people to look up to.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:20 AM

8,237 posts, read 8,573,897 times
Famous or not you shouldn't be asking people about their occupation. Hardly anyone really wants to talk about work and those that do are usually pretty boring.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,589,768 times
One of my friends is a celebrity who is single. They really appreciate being approached by someone confident. Don’t act like you don’t know her (that would be a lie and she might not like that you’re lying). Just treat her like a normal person. You can say you’ve heard of her and smile but move on after that. She will talk about her work anyway probably. Take notes from Steadman, Oprah’s boyfriend.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:40 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,589,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Famous or not you shouldn't be asking people about their occupation. Hardly anyone really wants to talk about work and those that do are usually pretty boring.
99% of the time, it is boring talking about work but people do it anyway.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:53 AM

13,267 posts, read 8,368,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
One of my friends is a celebrity who is single. They really appreciate being approached by someone confident. Don’t act like you don’t know her (that would be a lie and she might not like that you’re lying). Just treat her like a normal person. You can say you’ve heard of her and smile but move on after that. She will talk about her work anyway probably. Take notes from Steadman, Oprah’s boyfriend.
Good advice!
When I am graced to interact ..I express appreciation for their talent. No sense being evasive. They already know who they are! So take it as an opportunity to expand the chat with...while I'm a respecting admirer...have you seen the sunsets over the lake ? It's one of the reasons the Mrs and I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships