Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 12:08 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
They wouldn’t get bagged on if it were largely true. Stereotypes exist for a reason and in this particular case it is strongly supported by real world examples.
It doesn’t make one any less ignorant for believing in them over taking each individual for what they are and not prejudging them.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:17 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffzero View Post
The aggression towards men is hilarious. I've seen so many broke females with dead end jobs with no car, who live off their parents, or who live off their boyfriends, who end up being fat, and ugly, and maybe that plays a reason as to why many men are opting out of relationships.

Men still have a higher income average than women, yet this comment section makes it seems like all men are bums if they're not in a relationship. Maybe men are just losing interest in having their life revolving around someone who sits around waiting to be chased, paid for, taken care of, and being a chore. People always seem to get offended at men who mind their own business, but then these same people cry about men hitting on them in public. Men are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
I think a lot people still hold men to a higher standard when it comes to careers and independence. This is fine given that women are having and taking care of kids, but given the really low birthrate, it kind of seems like a double standard to me. If a females not raising kids or doesn't plan to, the bar should be the same as it is for guys.

And from other posts on this forum, it's pretty clear ladies would much rather be ignored than hassled and hit on sexually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, seems that the men are being singled out as the losers here, when it's clearly just as bad with both genders.

Yep, men tend to be more forgiving with a woman's living situation with her parents and her part-time retail job in retail or restaurant business.

No, joke, I think I saw a strikingly beautiful mid-30-something Perkins waitress a few weeks ago. For a moment, I couldn't believe she was a waitress. She was pretty damned good at her job, too.

100% agreed here.

What do you mean by "Meetup has not plugged this gap"? By that you mean that Meetup is more of an online venue than off line? That it blurs the gap between reality and virtuality? I think I know what you mean that Meetup's attempt, initially, was to get people out of their homes to meet others, but now with thousands of members in a single group, only a handful of people actually go to an event in real time.

I think they spend more time on Meetup just window shopping, "Things to do in <insert city>".
I mean that Meetup and all these apps designed to encourage sociability aren't entirely successful in their endeavours to alleviate the isolation that urbanization and the modern lifestyle can bring.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:44 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree with a lot of what you say here. I try in my posts to always say that anything I say about men can easily be applied to women. I don't date women, though, so I can't comment on what it's like to try to establish a romantic relationship with one. But I've known and worked with enough women in my life to have learned -- decades ago -- that women are not vessels of virtue. That's a whole other discussion, though.

Having said that, I do think men are more likely than women are to abuse drugs (not that plenty of women don't). And, as I said upthread, older men, are AS likely, if not MORE likely, to do so than Millennial guys are. The common belief that older guys somehow have their acts together, personally, emotionally, and professionally, better than do younger guys, simply isn't true. Lots of older guys seem to have never grown up, and lots have major issues.

Dislaimer: yes, this applies to women as well. I've known many women who mentally and emotionally never left high school.
Well, according to the person who wrote The Bell Curve females tend to gravitate towards the center of the curve in most things while men tend to be more towards the ends of it. If true, then it stands that females must be cognisant that while men often occupy the top slots of society, they are also in the bottoms slots: more likely to be in prison, addicted to drugs, low IQ, homeless...

Old 03-31-2019, 01:45 PM

641 posts, read 405,546 times
Quote:
True. So, for all the Boomers out there complaining ad nauseum about Millennials: this is the result of the hyper-indulgent helicopter parenting trend (which was essentially narcissistic) that YOU began.
The decline of the nuclear family really started with the boomers as well.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:52 PM

754 posts, read 486,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
And from other posts on this forum, it's pretty clear ladies would much rather be ignored than hassled and hit on sexually.
I personally think many millennial women should increasingly consider sperm donors. If many aren't interested in dealing with the hassle of men, but still want children, then that option would suffice.

I predict it may rise exponentially over the next 10-20 years with Millennial and Gen Z women, given a lot of men of that generation seemingly have given up and/or aren't interested.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:17 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Sexual capitalism. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:44 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
The decline of the nuclear family really started with the boomers as well.
The decline of civility did, as well. Read posts on this forum and all over the internet written by those aged 60+. Their rudeness is incredible.

Once upon a time, seniors were those citizens who exemplified wisdom, grace, and humility. Can we, in all honesty, say this about Boomers? I've worked in a public service field for 17 years, and I deal all day long with adults of all ages. Boomers, hands down, are the rudest and most entitled.

So, who knows? Maybe the decline of social capital and civility in our society eventually puts a damper on libidos (?).

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 03-31-2019 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-31-2019, 02:59 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,035,367 times
Quote:
I think a lot people still hold men to a higher standard when it comes to careers and independence. This is fine given that women are having and taking care of kids, but given the really low birthrate, it kind of seems like a double standard to me. If a females not raising kids or doesn't plan to, the bar should be the same as it is for guys.
Yeah, I know of this 50-something year old woman that her alimony checks stopped coming and she is resorting to having to move off a big piece of land, sell of her horses, and her kids are housing her on their land instead. Building a separate house on their property. She's never worked day in her life as a housewife, but took up some min. wage, part-time job in her 50s

Old 03-31-2019, 03:07 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
The decline of civility did, as well. Read posts on this forum and all over the internet written by those aged 60+. Their rudeness is incredible.

Once upon a time, seniors were those citizens who exemplified wisdom, grace, and humility. Can we, in all honesty, say this about Boomers? I've worked in a public service field for 17 years, and I deal all day long with adults of all ages. Boomers, hands down, are the rudest and most entitled.

So, who knows? Maybe the decline of social capital and civility in our society eventually puts a damper on libidos (?).
I agree. Boomers are the worst. They get ruder and more self centered the older they get.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, I know of this 50-something year old woman that her alimony checks stopped coming and she is resorting to having to move off a big piece of land, sell of her horses, and her kids are housing her on their land instead. Building a separate house on their property. She's never worked day in her life as a housewife, but took up some min. wage, part-time job in her 50s
Well, there ARE many of us who do both. We're well-educated (and continue to pursue further study); we're goal-oriented and have professional careers; we earn healthy to excellent incomes; AND we're raising, or have raised kids. Some of us put our careers on hold for years to stay at home with our kids full-time; some of us balance work AND caring for very young kids.

ThisTown, you don't seem to consider that there ARE men who want their wives to stay at home with their children. There are men who, yes, in 2019, believe a woman's primary role should be in the home. What say you to those men?

From a former stay-at-home mom's perspective, anyone who thinks caring for young children 24/7 and all that entails; keeping a home clean and organized; doing all the grocery shopping and cooking nutritious meals every day; getting everyone to doctor's appointments, school, activities; running a well-functioning household of multiple human beings -- anyone who thinks a woman doing this hasn't "worked a day in her life" has clearly never been a full-time parent of very young children.
Your post is rather insulting, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships