Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times

Advertisements

My mother always says the next time she gets married, it would be to someone who loves her more than she loves him. If that's what works for her, cool. But stuff like that doesn't work for me. If I'm barely into the guy or not at all, he'll just start to get on my nerves after a while. I'd stay away from those who feel like there has to be some sort of power dynamic like their partner needs to be controlled/manipulated. Like I said, it's just toxic and a breeding ground for dysfunction. Yeaauuuucchh! No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:17 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
My mother always says the next time she gets married, it would be to someone who loves her more than she loves him. If that's what works for her, cool. But stuff like that doesn't work for me. If I'm barely into the guy or not at all, he'll just start to get on my nerves after a while. I'd stay away from those who feel like there has to be some sort of power dynamic like their partner needs to be controlled/manipulated. Like I said, it's just toxic and a breeding ground for dysfunction. Yeaauuuucchh! No thanks.
I mean, if that's what works for your mom, but can't see how that would end well. Most guys aren't going to want to deal with someone that doesn't love them at the same level.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Whoa. This thread took a different turn. I don't think the OP was referring to a BDSM situation.
Hahaha....somehow it ALWAYS takes that turn...

Old 04-05-2019, 07:41 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Can't agree that attachments are never equal.

I'd have a very hard time pointing to which of us is more attached, my boyfriend or myself...I don't think I could. We're both pretty shmoopy for each other.
Enjoy it while it lasts....someday your "junior high" romance could end.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:26 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,807 times
I don't think I want to be in a relationship where anyone has "power". What does that mean anyway?

Old 04-05-2019, 08:36 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
People who are highly insecure and/or have not had a successful meaningful romantic relationship are probably the ones behind perpetuating this idea. I've heard such ideas before back when I was dating, and this was one of those wild theories that got thrown around. These people think in terms of who's winning, who has the upper hand, who has it easier/more difficult, keeping score, etc. It's a hyper competitive mindset around dating, which IMO, is very unhealthy to begin with.
That’s not what it means. At all.

Nobody “wins.”

Old 04-05-2019, 09:01 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts....someday your "junior high" romance could end.
Wow, junior high romance three and a half years in, with me at 40 and him at 60...? lol

I'm very sorry that some not only haven't found real reciprocal love but don't even believe in it. I know how that feels, and it sucked, at least for me.

Sure, the crazy bonfire of the earliest days does mellow out, but that doesn't always have to mean that at least one partner gets all "meh" about it.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:08 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, it's true.

The one who loves the least holds the power.

And that doesn't just have to do with just the willingness to walk out; but all the myriad of little hurts that can happen in a relationship.

Interesting, I just read an article about this in the last week or so, can't remember where.

It stated that very long term marriages tend to be much more successful when it's the woman who loves the least.

When the man loves the least the relationship and indeed the success of the intact family is in peril.
Did it explain why?

Old 04-05-2019, 11:00 PM

780 posts, read 425,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That’s not what it means. At all.

Nobody “wins.”
You didn't understand my comment. That's okay though.

I'm saying unhealthy relationships are those where people think of wins/losses.

People in healthy relationships are not trying to win one over on their partner, or have power over the other.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:15 AM

818 posts, read 456,415 times
Yeah l agree and tbh , l dunno wth op is even thinking with this stuff.
Any real relationship with real feelings and honesty is not some game or scoreboard or about power op. But if it was then you both deserve each other l'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships