Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 05:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
My dear Chi, you've got some life yet to be experienced.

Basically that means you can marry a fun, fit girl who could easily change after you tie the knot!
It's been said before about the bait-and-switch. I understand that is always a possibility. However if she is health-conscious before I meet her, most of those types of people don't change. She'll probably be stuffing bran muffins down her throat well into her old age. I don't like the anorexic look, just healthy will suffice.

If "Life yet to be experienced" means "Marriages ending in divorce and lessons learned" I'd rather just not get married until I'm sure it's the right way to go. I know everyone says that, but really, I am not a person who rushes into anything. I would have to be dating someone for a long azz time before I admitted defeat and proposed. If she changes big time after that, well, guess I'll just have to deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
It's been said before about the bait-and-switch. I understand that is always a possibility. However if she is health-conscious before I meet her, most of those types of people don't change. She'll probably be stuffing bran muffins down her throat well into her old age. I don't like the anorexic look, just healthy will suffice.

Uh yeah.. okay what ever you say Chi... I am sure that the health conscious female will stay that way for the rest of her life and never change... never in the history of mankind has a health conscious woman went from eating bran muffin to throwing back McDonald's Double Cheeseburgers... nope never heard of that one.. heck I might need to check the history books and look back.. HECK for that matter.. never in the history of mankind has any health conscious person <male or female> ever gained significant weight as they got older. (if you believe that one .. I got a gold mine for sell in Mexico.. it brings out a million perday .. I sell it to you for cheap 250k).

Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Uh yeah.. okay what ever you say Chi... I am sure that the health conscious female will stay that way for the rest of her life and never change... never in the history of mankind has a health conscious woman went from eating bran muffin to throwing back McDonald's Double Cheeseburgers... nope never heard of that one.. heck I might need to check the history books and look back.. HECK for that matter.. never in the history of mankind has any health conscious person <male or female> ever gained significant weight as they got older. (if you believe that one .. I got a gold mine for sell in Mexico.. it brings out a million perday .. I sell it to you for cheap 250k).

Simmer down people. I'm not being unrealistic or looking for a person who is perfect, I'm just saying I work with a lot of older women and men at the post office, a lot of them are overweight, but several of the women are in their 60's and still are into fitness and taking care of their body. Mostly if she is genetically inclined to be thin in the first place it will be easier for her to stay in shape with just a jog or two every week. I also would enjoy someone who likes to do outdoor activities like biking and such, because I enjoy that.

You act like every american woman is gonna chop all her hair off and gain 100lbs once she gets married. Maybe that's true, but again I've seen plenty of examples of health-conscious women who are married for 20-30 years and they still manage to keep themselves in shape.

Edit: Especially if they are country gals. Thinking about it now, the older women I work with that are still active and have muscle tone and little fat, are women who were born in small towns or out in the country, and they are used to getting their hands dirty. Also there is one lady from northern california who loves horses, so she still goes horseback riding and takes care of them and stuff. So while I agree a woman could flip-flop on me, I am gonna say that not every woman would do this.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:

If "Life yet to be experienced" means "Marriages ending in divorce and lessons learned" I'd rather just not get married until I'm sure it's the right way to go. I know everyone says that, but really, I am not a person who rushes into anything. I would have to be dating someone for a long azz time before I admitted defeat and proposed. If she changes big time after that, well, guess I'll just have to deal
And then I would ask: Why get married at all?

If proposing to someone is the admition of defeat, you've lost before you ever began.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
And then I would ask: Why get married at all?

If proposing to someone is the admition of defeat, you've lost before you ever began.
Is joke. I doubt I could get all mushy on the subject, even if I was talking with my future wife. I didn't phrase it that way to make it seem like a bad thing, I believe I've stated before that I like the idea of getting married. I suppose I would have to be with a woman who has a sense of humor, and would roll her eyes after virtually everything I say

Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Simmer down people. I'm not being unrealistic or looking for a person who is perfect, I'm just saying I work with a lot of older women and men at the post office, a lot of them are overweight, but several of the women are in their 60's and still are into fitness and taking care of their body. Mostly if she is genetically inclined to be thin in the first place it will be easier for her to stay in shape with just a jog or two every week. I also would enjoy someone who likes to do outdoor activities like biking and such, because I enjoy that.

You act like every american woman is gonna chop all her hair off and gain 100lbs once she gets married. Maybe that's true, but again I've seen plenty of examples of health-conscious women who are married for 20-30 years and they still manage to keep themselves in shape.

Edit: Especially if they are country gals. Thinking about it now, the older women I work with that are still active and have muscle tone and little fat, are women who were born in small towns or out in the country, and they are used to getting their hands dirty. Also there is one lady from northern california who loves horses, so she still goes horseback riding and takes care of them and stuff. So while I agree a woman could flip-flop on me, I am gonna say that not every woman would do this.
And I agree with you.. but part of our problem these days, so to speak, is the male perspective on what they want their women to look like.. That is why we have individual young ladies with eating disorders.. because they want to look perfect for their mate. Never the mind that the mate (male) looks like an overeating two ton gorilla and demands that their mate look sexy as heck so he can parade her around as a trophy wife. To me.. who gives a crap .. you love them the way they are... you picked em.. for a reason.. because you were attracted to them. Now if you picked em because they were 36 24 36 and now they have gained weight and you want to kick em to the curb.. hey thats your perogative.. but I would then have to call you a loser...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Is joke. I doubt I could get all mushy on the subject, even if I was talking with my future wife. I didn't phrase it that way to make it seem like a bad thing, I believe I've stated before that I like the idea of getting married. I suppose I would have to be with a woman who has a sense of humor, and would roll her eyes after virtually everything I say
OK Sir, so if I understand correctly, you desire to get married...one day. You want to "settle down" eventually with the right person, but you are taking your time and enjoying your bachelor time while you have it. Your hope is that when you find this person she will be funny, smart, fit and cute, she will be the one for you. She will stay the same way she was when you found her (a little older but relatively the same). She will continue to better herself because after all you did wait a very long time to find her. That makes sense...logically, yet reality may differ with you.

She may laugh at your jokes initially but after some time she may eventually roll her eyes at the same jokes or stories that she once adored you for. Doesn't that seem odd? Yet this tends to happen with married people. My "estranged" husband use to answer his phone with a "hi honey" when we were first married and 8 years later I got a "what do you want?" response when he knew it was me.

For me personally I'm in better shape mentally and physically then I have ever been in my life. Rather than "letting myself go" I bettered myself in a physical sense while married, my husband as well, he's in very good shape. We should have been the ideal couple. We were what some people would call the ken and barbie couple (even though I do no like that title) Unfortunately physical attributes (including weight) do not save a marriage, but for some people it is grounds for dismissal. It doesn't make sense to me.

Just to add, I think you have a sincere heart, and I hope you find the woman of your realistic dreams.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
We were what some people would call the ken and barbie couple (even though I do no like that title) Unfortunately physical attributes (including weight) do not save a marriage, but for some people it is grounds for dismissal. It doesn't make sense to me.
Not only is it ground for dismissal.. it is also grounds for attracting someone. Now granted .. when we are all young.. we are all skinny (well some of us anyways) but as the years progress .. your metabolism does tend to slow down. you do get a pooch or two around your legs and belly... your skin tends to sag a little bit where it shouldnt.. overall.. you age.. your hair turns grey.. you got little divits in your eyes where the skin is getting a little puffy... you age.. but according to what some of these people say on here.. dont let it happen. Heck we got 1 million doctors who are willing to slice and dice ya.. all for vanities sake... and you know.. I can almost see why it happens day in and day out.. You got the thought process like Chiaro has.. and we got a lot of people who are trying to stay younger looking just to be vane. Hell if we could all age gracefully without being told we are getting uglier .. I think this world would be better off...

Old 04-18-2008, 09:01 PM

I am sitting here thinking WTF did the cavemen and women do?? They didnt have no freaking boob jobs, face lifts and crap like that.. they made it didnt they?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I am sitting here thinking WTF did the cavemen and women do?? They didnt have no freaking boob jobs, face lifts and crap like that.. they made it didnt they?
They weren't bombarded by American media. If anybody believes the pics in the magazines have anything to do with reality, they need their heads checked. I'd imagine none of the high-criteria youngun's have woken up next to anybody more than once. And btw, no self-respecting and wanting to look decent woman ever sleeps with make-up on the way it's done in the movies, guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships