Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:20 AM

631 posts, read 399,377 times

Advertisements

I used to smoke (been vaping for the past 6 years), I'd have no problem dating a smoker, especially if they were a super nice person who treated me with respect and whom I enjoyed being with.

I was brought up on a farm and the smell of cow manure makes me nostalgic, so smoke certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
.........kinda mad to be in an elevator with a lady wearing perfume, ........

Smoking is a deal breaker. Recently quit smoking is also a deal breaker. I don't want to invest in a relationship and then have my partner fall off the wagon and start smoking again a few months later.

Heavy use of perfume or after shave can also be a deal breaker, except that a person can easily stop using scents to please a partner and won't have to take it up again just because they are addicted to it.

Actually, any sort of addictive behavior is a deal breaker; smoker, drunk, drug addict, shoplifter, gambler....

Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I did notice that if you put non smoker as your preference on online dating sites, some of the people lie about it.
Yes, or they check “occasionally” and when you’re out with them, that just happens to be the occasion.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I smoke, it's awful and I hate being addicted to it. The only reason that my attempts to quit haven't stuck, is I hate myself more as a psycho. Like many smokers, I wish I'd never started.

So not only do I completely understand anyone not being willing to deal with it, I am happy my partner doesn't smoke since I truly do want to quit, and if anything, him being a smoker also would make a very hard thing even harder.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:54 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
See that’s what I don’t get. It’s a smell you’re talking about then? The reactions here are seemingly extreme. I hate the smell of some foods in the office. It makes me kinda mad to be in an elevator with a lady wearing perfume, my mouth sometimes waters even, only one kind of men’s cologne smells good to me...and those people think they smell good. I can definitely tell when someone’s been smoking, even if they chew gum and spray air freshener.

The smokers though, out of all types of “offenders”, seem to induce almost a violent reaction:
“Disgusting! Idiot! Vomit! So stupid!”
I wonder what the reaction would be if I went around the office or bar telling people who’s scent I didn’t like: “You might as well have crapped yourself idiot!”
Sorry, but the nasty smell of smoke vs. food or cologne/perfurme smells doesn't compare. Not at all. It doesn't even come close.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Sorry, but the nasty smell of smoke vs. food or cologne/perfurme smells doesn't compare. Not at all. It doesn't even come close.
To you. I get to say what I think is worse. I hate the smell of some women's perfume, it's like an old avon lady crapped herself, so I guess it's equal. No I don't smoke. I have tolerance for people with body odor, perfume, ethnic food cooking and unwashed clothing, smokers, I encounter it all during the week. If it's the smell, move away from them. If it's that you don't want second hand smoke to bother you that's different, but we all hate different things.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I would consider a smoker if they were trying to quit.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
One of the ways suggested to quit smoking is for the smoker to put their butts in a jar, and then to sniff it themselves afterward. Many I've run into who are smokers and here this don't want to do that.
Same reason why they flick the butt out of the car window.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
To you. I get to say what I think is worse. I hate the smell of some women's perfume, it's like an old avon lady crapped herself, so I guess it's equal. No I don't smoke. I have tolerance for people with body odor, perfume, ethnic food cooking and unwashed clothing, smokers, I encounter it all during the week. If it's the smell, move away from them. If it's that you don't want second hand smoke to bother you that's different, but we all hate different things.

But as someone else said, not putting on perfume is very easy for most people. Quitting smoking isn't. Surely, you know this. And as mentioned, secondhand smoke is hazardous. While some people are allergic to perfume, it isn't in the same league from a health standpoint. Surely, you know this.

The two, objectively, are very different animals from a health standpoint and an addiction standpoint. We could argue the smell is subjective, but I think it's fair to say perfume is designed to smell good to most people. Cigarette smoke is just a nasty byproduct. Surely, you know you're the outlier if you find the smell of perfume to be as bad or worse than cigarette smoke.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
But as someone else said, not putting on perfume is very easy for most people. Quitting smoking isn't. Surely, you know this. And as mentioned, secondhand smoke is hazardous. While some people are allergic to perfume, it isn't in the same league from a health standpoint. Surely, you know this.

The two, objectively, are very different animals from a health standpoint and an addiction standpoint. We could argue the smell is subjective, but I think it's fair to say perfume is designed to smell good to most people. Cigarette smoke is just a nasty byproduct. Surely, you know you're the outlier if you find the smell of perfume to be as bad or worse than cigarette smoke.
That’s what I posted, and also explained. If you’re talking about the smoke itself, than yes, health hazard. If your intent is to be insistent that everyone find the same smell to be the most disgusting, then no.

We each find different things to be offensive, “surely you know this?” We don’t all have the same opinion on SMELL, that isn’t an “outlier” position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships