Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 03:45 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We don't like to admit it, but this is the reality. If humans loved unconditionally, our planet wouldn't be the mess that it is.
First a sincere thanks Mystic for addressing my spelling error in an earlier post. I'm all thumbs somedays!

Humans can love unconditionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 03:54 AM

1,112 posts, read 884,014 times
Choose wisely....some people love convicts.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I’m just curious to reasons people might end a relationship even if they are in love. I know one person not wanting kids is one. What are others?
-Being abused
-Being exploited
-One's children being abused or exploited
-Criminal activity on the part of the significant other

In more philosophical, less "reasons of practical safety" reasons,

-Significant incompatibilities in values and life goals

You can love others unconditionally. But loving them doesn't always mean a relationship is going to work or is healthy and functional.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:13 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I’m just curious to reasons people might end a relationship even if they are in love. I know one person not wanting kids is one. What are others?
Love does not conquer all and does not a functional relationship make. That being said, reasons for breaking up even when you love someone are:

1.) Geographical distance. When a couple is young and mostly unencumbered with family obligations and are early on in their career track(s), it's far easier to pick up and move to be with one another than later on when life begins to happen in a much bigger way. Throw in family concerns (aging parents, co-parenting children and/or custodial agreements that necessitate one remaining in a certain area, etc.) and unique job opportunities that might not be easily available to you in another location and the logistics become much more complicated.

2.) Poor financial management/drastically different money management styles. Huge deal breaker for many people.

3.) Addictions of any kind.

4.) Wanting or not wanting to reproduce.

5.) Too different as people. This one varies wildly from couple to couple, of course,

6.) Religious differences.

7.). Incompatible world views.

8.) Sexual incompatibly and/or one partner is a serial cheater.

9.) One or both partners needing time to work on themselves solo.

10.) Abuse

Old 05-20-2019, 12:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
If you are in love, it doesn't mean the other person is. They may be there for a free ride, or using you, etc. If you are both in love with each other foremost, then many of the reasons given like finances, family, religion, etc. shouldn't matter. If one person is abusing or cheating on the other or lost in harmful addictions, then they love their behavior more than the person they claim to be in love with. I knew a heroin junky that quit cold turkey in order to get custody of his daughter. I was a heavy drinker for more than 25 years and a daily drinker for 45 years, though I never missed a day of work or had an accident or even a tiket for DUI, but when my doctors and my wife said I had to quit, I just did.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:30 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Felt lonely despite him being near me. Basically, outgrew each other.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,888 times
Amazing, uncontrollable debt. Payments don't cover interest on student loans any longer.
No savings, precarious position in the job market, being out-sourced by less educated persons.
Incredible, overwhelming stress affecting all domains of functioning.
One is ready to retire, the other sees themselves in the employment field for the next 20 years.
Pragmatic decisions on future capacity/functioning, given family history of medical illness.

Those are all deal-breakers.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:08 PM

892 posts, read 484,194 times
infatuation

Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
First a sincere thanks Mystic for addressing my spelling error in an earlier post. I'm all thumbs somedays!
You're welcome. I cringe when I see but can't correct my own typos on CD due to too much time elapsing. Uggh! I wish the editing period for posts was 24 hours, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Humans can love unconditionally.
In theory, we can. In practice, 99.999999999999999% of us don't.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:34 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Finding out that your spouse/partner is the serial killer law enforcement has been seeking for 25 years could be one.

Sorry, been listening to true-crime podcasts for two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships