Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 09:56 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I recently owned a small and admittedly cheap condo. When my job moved to a different town, I sold the condo, and less the commissions on both sides, made about $1,000 profit. I moved back to my hometown, where the job was, and stayed with my parents for about two months while evaluating my options. Last month, I did a six month lease at the premiere apartment complex in our area. My net housing expenditure is about $200/month more, but I went from a 25 year old construction to brand new. My current accommodation is much better.

With that said, I'm back on the dating market, and I can't believe the number of women willing to exclude a renter at a luxury apartment complex in favor of any property owner, even if he owns a derelict single wide in the country. It definitely seems renters are discriminated against in the local dating market here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 10:06 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
Renters as a dealbreaker in dating? Maybe it’s different in TN.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
I've never heard of that. I certainly wouldn't exclude a male renter. In fact, I'd find it more ideal.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:58 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
This is a question that won't get posters giving an honest answer of 'Yes' because it might appear superficial. However I don't blame people who deem it important. These are usually the type who already has their finances in order and probably don't want to take on someone who doesn't.

I'm guessing the older established crowd who own a place don't want to lose half in case the dating leads to marriage in the future.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:06 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Where I live owning property is definitely an attractive asset. Mega bonus points for those who own in HCOL areas.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:54 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I have no problems dating and being a renter. I just explain my situation and its up to the potential date if we continue.

I wouldn't want to date someone who held that against me anyway .

Old 05-23-2019, 04:07 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
If this makes you feel any better having an apartment is better than living with your parents.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:20 AM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I'm guessing the older established crowd who own a place don't want to lose half in case the dating leads to marriage in the future.
Which is exactly one of the reasons for pre-nups. Regardless, it's a great filter for me too, a renter. Why would I want to waste time on somebody with such ridiculous requirement ?

I can show a detailed excel analysis how is owning a property [and living in it] a ridiculously absurd waste of money and how that money can be faaaar better spent on quality of life elsewhere. Anywhere else, basically.

I own a property, but don't live in it and won't. I most definitely prefer living in an apartment and freedom associated with the absence of the Titanic anchor of the condo.

"What's that, love ? You need a house ? "

Swipe. Next

Old 05-23-2019, 04:28 AM

575 posts, read 338,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Where I live owning property is definitely an attractive asset. Mega bonus points for those who own in HCOL areas.
Uh oh. Instant disqualifier. Right there

In past, it was a great experience having a house in HCOL area for me (and all the associated cluster*uckery).

It does, however, make for a great conversation during a date, as it allows me to closely examine the micro-expressions of the other party while I'm discussing the pros and cons of the situation.

In short, there's nothing (save for the fantasyland constructed in her head), such a woman can begin to hope to bring to the table that justifies going back to that lifestyle.

Swipe. Next

Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Since online dating is just comparing data, the person with the most tangible assets usually wins.

Homeownership means stability and having your finances in order well enough to purchase and maintain a property. A condo means you’re not into maintenance. Renters might be more transient, especially someplace like Tennessee, where the cost of living is relatively low. People wonder what’s wrong with you.

In your case, the diagnosis would be accurate. You are transient. You’re not particularly stable in terms of wanting to settle down and be monogamous. So, stop whining and wait till you find someone who is a better match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships