Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2019, 01:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,342 times

Advertisements

Ive been living with my current gf for 8 years. Our relationship is kinda stale and I work long hours... 8am-10pm six days a week. I dont make much money but I oay the rent and bills. She currently does not work due to getting laid off last month.

Thru a mutual friend, she met a man our age (late 30s) and they have been texting. She told me she was going to have lunch with him at a local spot and discuss a job position. They met for lunch and here is how it went down (just take this as true)... they sat down, and chatted for 2 hours before even ordering food. Then after the food came, they chatted for another 3 hours. They really hit it off, and never discussed a job. Since then they have been texting and she told me she is going to lunch again with him. He is not anything attractice but he makes mid six figures, has a beautiful house, etc. And he is single.

Im not too happy about this situation and just had some questions/looking for advise.

1. If you were in my situation and your sig other went to lunch with a person of the opposit sex who she just met, and it turned into 5 hours of chatting at the table, would you be pissed?

2. Was what she did disrespectful to the relationship?

3. How should I go about approaching her about this?

Old 05-26-2019, 03:10 AM

22,815 posts, read 18,112,983 times
She was up front with you about the lunch and how it came out. She was also apparently truthful about meeting up again, texting, and how much they have in common. Sounds like she respects your relationship enough to do so. You admit your relationship is "stale", you don't seem to have time for it, and doesn't sound as if you care all that much. What are you trying to be outraged about, her honesty? Seems like past time to show/tell her you want to keep something alive. She may or may not want the same. Don't rest on your modest laurels about just paying the bills. Its not the money, the house, or physical attractiveness. Your competition is the personal connection and attention. Something you may no longer offer. I wouldn't wait too long.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-26-2019 at 03:27 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 03:30 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,228,489 times
Your GF isn’t a very smart woman.

How would I feel? Disrespected, of course. But I believe my GF would avoid any appearance of improprieties.

5 hours to “discuss”’a job “position” without mentioning anything about it, followed by texting to set up another meal date to discuss a job that was never mentioned the on the first 5 hour meeting? Lmao get real! I know what position she wants to be in Lol.

Hypergamy! Salute!!

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 05-26-2019 at 03:42 AM..

Old 05-26-2019, 04:05 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,512,480 times
Spend more time paying attention to your relationship.
As mentioned above, she was honest with you.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:05 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,558,218 times
Come on, dude, lighten up. I am meeting a guy next week (who btw has a fiance) for the exact same reason. Except I do plan to discuss the job. You do realize that career networking is a thing, right? It can be much similar to regular socializing. You have to feel things out and be natural, not just some cold robotic opportunist. Being a "good fit" is huge.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:52 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,041,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haileyismom View Post
Ive been living with my current gf for 8 years. Our relationship is kinda stale and I work long hours... 8am-10pm six days a week. I dont make much money but I oay the rent and bills. She currently does not work due to getting laid off last month.

Thru a mutual friend, she met a man our age (late 30s) and they have been texting. She told me she was going to have lunch with him at a local spot and discuss a job position. They met for lunch and here is how it went down (just take this as true)... they sat down, and chatted for 2 hours before even ordering food. Then after the food came, they chatted for another 3 hours. They really hit it off, and never discussed a job. Since then they have been texting and she told me she is going to lunch again with him. He is not anything attractice but he makes mid six figures, has a beautiful house, etc. And he is single.

Im not too happy about this situation and just had some questions/looking for advise.

1. If you were in my situation and your sig other went to lunch with a person of the opposit sex who she just met, and it turned into 5 hours of chatting at the table, would you be pissed?

2. Was what she did disrespectful to the relationship?

3. How should I go about approaching her about this?
3 years ago, you mentioned "Me and her father are going to sit her down for a serious talk."
Now you have an 8 year girlfriend who's meeting a man.
And your name implies your're female.
Are you afraid your girlfriend is switching to men?

Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,872,015 times
8 years? Now is ‘stale?’

If you liked the girl you shoulda put a ring on it.

If this story is true you know she is movin on up, to the east side.

Good for her for finding something better.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:52 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,692,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post

In times of discord, turn towards your partner, not away from....

talk with her about your relationship and focus on that.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,107,368 times
Do your husband and 3 kids know about this 8-year relationship with a woman? How do they feel about it? I would think their opinion is more valuable than a bunch of Internet strangers.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Honesty is great...she may be telling the OP very honestly that they went back to his place next! ...so much for honesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships