Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times

Advertisements

Have you had this fear, or have you been involved with someone who you think has this fear?

I would define it as when someone will only allow another person in so far and then shut's down emotionally as a way to protect oneself. They cut themselves off from feeling true love or a true connectedness with someone due to fear that the other person could hurt them.

I would say I have this fear, yet I'm working on releasing it. What's been your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 11:22 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,210,338 times
I have the opposite fear. I have the fear that I will be with someone and they will give themselves to me completely, and then if I don't love them in the same way, it will cut them really deep when I break off the relationship. So if I sense that someone is at all 'clingy' or ready to settle down, I won't have any part of it. Same if someone starts to act more loving and romantic, I will start to shut down emotionally because I want them to do the same, or to follow suit. If they don't I pretty much put a stop to it right then and there. It's not to be mean, it's to spare them the heartache. I won't be ready to settle down for at least another decade, I wouldn't want to rob them of precious time to find their true love.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:36 AM

24 posts, read 72,187 times
Yes... I definately have a fear of intimacy! Like you, I am "working on it"... or at least trying to! I don't want to be alone forever... But I also desperately fear being hurt OR hurting another! Where does this truth leave us??

AND LIKE CHIARO, mine also costumes itself in me being the first to leave... All to protect "them" of course! Hate to break the news to ya, chiaro, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about the SAME fear, different TACTICS!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post

Have you had this fear...?

I would define it as when someone will only allow another person in so far and then shut's down emotionally as a way to protect oneself.

What's been your experience?
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

First you give them your heart, and then they take your soul.

Then they start eating your food and wearing your clothes.

And before you know it, they have become you and you have lost yourself.

And you think you are the eggman, and they are the eggmen.

Get out quickly before you become the Walrus.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:40 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
I have the opposite fear. I have the fear that I will be with someone and they will give themselves to me completely, and then if I don't love them in the same way, it will cut them really deep when I break off the relationship. So if I sense that someone is at all 'clingy' or ready to settle down, I won't have any part of it. Same if someone starts to act more loving and romantic, I will start to shut down emotionally because I want them to do the same, or to follow suit. If they don't I pretty much put a stop to it right then and there. It's not to be mean, it's to spare them the heartache. I won't be ready to settle down for at least another decade, I wouldn't want to rob them of precious time to find their true love.
Oh, those sweet, thoughtful, sensitive men... Let's stir the pot first and then I'll tell you how much better off you'd be without me, I'm not good enough for you, you're too good for me, etc. BS... Remember them (not very fondly) from my early to mid 20s. If you really wanna be selfless and good (because the description above is nothing more than a copout disguised as goodness), just don't start anything if you don't wanna do it - as simple as that.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
That sounds so manipulative to control another persons feelings. ugh. I hate it when people do that. Just have an open conversation about it. Let the other person come to his or her own conclusions. Plain and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post

Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM

It doesn't work that way. You will cut or burn the person deeply if you do that. I've had guys do that to me and spent months in agonizing depression.
The point is to have a conversation about it and set boundaries while respecting the other person. Virtually no pain and only brief disappointment when you set your boundaries and discuss your intimacy problems vs. months of depression because you can't explain and you lead the person on...hmmm which one is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felecia View Post
Yes... I definately have a fear of intimacy! Like you, I am "working on it"... or at least trying to! I don't want to be alone forever... But I also desperately fear being hurt OR hurting another! Where does this truth leave us??

AND LIKE CHIARO, mine also costumes itself in me being the first to leave... All to protect "them" of course! Hate to break the news to ya, chiaro, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about the SAME fear, different TACTICS!

Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 PM

A relationship doesn't work that way. Each person keeps his or her own identity. We are adults now, not children. We know when we end and the other person begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

First you give them your heart, and then they take your soul.

Then they start eating your food and wearing your clothes.

And before you know it, they have become you and you have lost yourself.

And you think you are the eggman, and they are the eggmen.

Get out quickly before you become the Walrus.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM

I agree it is immature BS. Don't start anything. If you like or respect the person then stay friends and have an open conversation about it. That way people's feelings probably won't get burnt. Otherwise, you are just being selfish and thinking of yourself not the other. If I cared about the other person I'd ask "How are you feeling about this?" "Are you cool with wanting to be friends"? and "Do you want to talk about this more?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, those sweet, thoughtful, sensitive men... Let's stir the pot first and then I'll tell you how much better off you'd be without me, I'm not good enough for you, you're too good for me, etc. BS... Remember them (not very fondly) from my early to mid 20s. If you really wanna be selfless and good (because the description above is nothing more than a copout disguised as goodness), just don't start anything if you don't wanna do it - as simple as that.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Have you had this fear, or have you been involved with someone who you think has this fear?

I would define it as when someone will only allow another person in so far and then shut's down emotionally as a way to protect oneself. They cut themselves off from feeling true love or a true connectedness with someone due to fear that the other person could hurt them.

I would say I have this fear, yet I'm working on releasing it. What's been your experience?
I definetly have this problem. I grew up in a family where the men were abusive, hurtful, controlling and I fear all men at this point. I have made some unwise choices in the men I have been with in the past and it only reinforced my fears.
I haven't been involved with anyone for so long. I met someone the other day, he expressed interest in me and I was drawn to him but I didn't know how to react to someone flirting with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships