U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:43 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,398,254 times

Advertisements

I've been in class projects before and have heard behind my back that there was "tension" in the group and some of it had to do with me. But it is hilarious how nobody defines what "tension" means and what exactly I or another is doing to create the tension nor is anybody willing to discuss it openly so that peace and compromise can be made. I've also heard the term "awkwardness" used before. I don't know but it just seems that I get stuck with some real petty drama queens. Seriously it is like junior high all over again. Topic: Tension and awkwardness...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 05:54 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,836,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've been in class projects before and have heard behind my back that there was "tension" in the group and some of it had to do with me. But it is hilarious how nobody defines what "tension" means and what exactly I or another is doing to create the tension nor is anybody willing to discuss it openly so that peace and compromise can be made. I've also heard the term "awkwardness" used before. I don't know but it just seems that I get stuck with some real petty drama queens. Seriously it is like junior high all over again. Topic: Tension and awkwardness...lol.
Oh, yeah, tension can be felt! You can cut the air with a knife. My office, for instance, feels completely different when the boss is gone. There's this sweet lightness in the air... Everybody is more easy-going and happy. Hard to describe, but it's there.

Now whether those creating the tension can feel it... I don't know.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:02 PM

11,257 posts, read 9,683,468 times
Quote:
Sounds uncomfortable. If it is short class project, no reason for "peace talks" just go your separate ways. You've already resorted to name calling, why would you care to discuss the situation openly and seek a resolution?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM

9,598 posts, read 15,607,754 times
To me, tension is when two or more people with something to say (or something on their minds) but are afraid to say it, yet neither are able to go un-noticed by the other person.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 PM

that seems to be accurate for the situation I am talking about! I'm thinking in my head some of these people act so foolish like they are still in junior high but I don't want to say it. So I just try to get the work done and be as kind as can be..haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
To me, tension is when two or more people with something to say (or something on their minds) but are afraid to say it, yet neither are able to go un-noticed by the other person.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-14-2008 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 PM

Does the boss treat everybody like dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, yeah, tension can be felt! You can cut the air with a knife. My office, for instance, feels completely different when the boss is gone. There's this sweet lightness in the air... Everybody is more easy-going and happy. Hard to describe, but it's there.

Now whether those creating the tension can feel it... I don't know.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:27 PM

204 posts, read 1,110,186 times
I know what you mean. I had a group project the other day and everyone is the group was acting like they were twelve ..."im not going to participate if no one else will answer"..."i dont like out group because some people dont ever say anything"
Sometimes i feel like throwing a desk at people. Grow up people. I find its the over confident people that make group work suck...especially when they have nothing to be confident about and just come off as arrogant. The attitude makes the whole process tense and uncomfortbale...and makes people want to throw desks.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:53 AM

5,244 posts, read 3,120,700 times
Quote:
I think you answered your own question when you say "nobody defines what "tension" means and what exactly I or another is doing to create the tension nor is anybody willing to discuss it openly"; so basically it is when people have issues w/you and keep it bottled up. I do not know you, but feel the "awkwardness" is probably a result of the way you carry yourself, perhaps you make people feel uncomfortable when they are around you.
I would say talk to your professor but he will probably say you need to work it out with the group. The object of team oriented projects is exactly what you are experiencing, to see if you can work as a team member, work out problems that arise like adults, work on a project despite your differences (of opinion about the project or differences in personalities); this is what the world is about. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 AM

4,038 posts, read 8,614,274 times
Everything is in Balanced Tension. It's what holds the Universe together.

If you released the Tension, everything would collapse into a giant marshmallow.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 PM

5,108 posts, read 7,737,870 times
when i hear "tension" as you describe it, it sounds like an emotional charge or difficulty someone has around a person, an issue, a conflict, or a disagreement.

Yes, it can be felt. It can be personal ("i don't like her because she's from the east coast and talks loud") or it can be professional ("Im anxious because he's evaluating our project and we may lose staffing")

Requires a calm professional manner, not always much you can do about it, just focus on your own professionalism, and keep your side of the street clean.

If there's an undercurrent of drama, gossip, behind-the-back sabotage going on, we can by our own actions either feed it (i.e. pour gasoline on the fire) or not make it worse by staying out of it. We have no control over what other people say or do, or what they think of us. But we do have a choice about how we respond in a given situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships