U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:57 PM

1 posts

Advertisements

Apart from the fact that a husband is a man married to a woman and a wife is a woman married to a man, what is the difference between a husband and a wife? What makes a husband a husband and what makes a wife a wife?

Old Today, 02:01 PM

6,584 posts, read 2,369,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolomiow View Post
Apart from the fact that a husband is a man married to a woman and a wife is a woman married to a man, what is the difference between a husband and a wife? What makes a husband a husband and what makes a wife a wife?

A marriage?

Really...what are you looking for here?

Old Today, 02:16 PM

37,990 posts, read 55,756,232 times
In many cultures, only one wife to one husband and one husband to one wife are considered legal which is called monogamy. ... A husband is basically a man who has been married and has a wife after marriage. A man is called a husband only while he remains married to his spouse or his wife...
http://www.differencebetween.net/lan...band-and-wife/

How come you don't know that?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 02:44 PM

11,872 posts, read 7,309,520 times
Interesting. These definitions exclude gay married people. Most that I know, if it is two gay men, they refer to themselves as both being husbands, and gay women refer to themselves as both being wives. Including if either or both are trans in which case it is the post-transition gender identity being used to determine which word to apply.

I don't know what non-binary or gender-fluid folks use. I guess they either choose a term based on preference in their relationship, or use something neutral like "spouse" or "partner."

What is the question here? These words obviously just describe someone involved in a marriage. Are you asking for more qualities that are "supposed to" be included in each role? That is very much up to interpretation, just as what qualities a "proper" man or woman should exhibit are a matter that not all will agree on. For instance many think that a husband should provide and protect, but I don't need or want either of those things. They aren't really priorities to me, and so my future husband is not required to be either one. He is an excellent companion to me, as I am to him, and that's what matters to us.

Someone close to me once asked me how I define "Relationship"...as in a romantic relationship. How I differentiate it from, say, close friendship. The first thought I automatically had, was sex, but that isn't a good answer since I've had plenty of FWB in my life. Even sexual exclusivity isn't always to be taken for granted, as many polyamorous people can attest. For me, it implies a higher degree of commitment, time spent, obligation, and to some extent, trust. If a Relationship partner is in need of care or support, I drop everything to be there for them. I may not do that for a friend, like I would not take time off work necessarily to care for a friend's needs. There is the fact that I will commit a lot of one-on-one time to a Relationship partner, when I will not do much of that for a friend...rather, I'll probably see them most at events and social activities with multiple friends present. And I trust my Relationship partner to have a broader spectrum of blanket sexual consent with me, where even a FWB has more limited access to my sexual involvement. My partner can safely assume that I will continue to be willing to engage in sex on an ongoing basis, and a FWB really had no business making that kind of assumption. Odds were, the status of our sexual involvement would at some point change.

If it is an escalated relationship along the lines of cohabiting and maybe planning marriage, or being married, then we are talking about more rights and responsibilities. Financial disclosures, planning for life events, pooling resources and sharing costs. And my Relationship partner will often be my one safe place to talk about anyone or anything in my life, and may be privy to information I don't share with anyone else.

But beyond this kind of thing, the gender role stuff is irrelevant to me.

Old Today, 02:44 PM

684 posts, read 150,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolomiow View Post
A husband is a male partner in a marriage. A wife is a female partner in a marriage.

Beyond those specifics, don't look for anything universal. The concepts of husband and/or wife are whatever you and your marriage partner make of them.

Old Today, 02:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 7,139,364 times
A marriage makes someone a husband or wife. That’s it, that’s all it takes
If you’re looking for deeper meaning to the words it’s going to vary on who you ask and how they view marriage

Old Today, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 1,442 times
This is subjective. It really depends on life experience, examples and subtle background messages from your life. Were you from a religious family, had traditional examples, a single parent household, bad relationships....? My views started traditional and now I see it more as a financial merging of assets. It's committing legally. Our government rewards this financial agreement by making it cost effective with tax breaks, etc.

Old Today, 04:57 PM

40,214 posts, read 15,182,402 times
Not about relationships. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or