U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

7,426 posts, read 2,936,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
OP: are you getting paid to pitch Bumble here? Serious question. Good luck with your date tomorrow though!

Regarding this feature:
1. I'm not big on phone calls, probably wouldn't use this.
2. POF already has something similar.
3. Can't you call with Snapchat or Facebook Messenger, without giving out your #?
It got to the point that if I messaged a guy on POF, they thought it was fake and angrily replied: Nice Try! Or Iíd reply once, check in later and theyíve already sent 5 messages and are pretty sure Iím a fake.
No comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

112 posts, read 22,237 times
So how would you see yourself using this calling feature? How early in a conversation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It got to the point that if I messaged a guy on POF, they thought it was fake and angrily replied: Nice Try! Or Iíd reply once, check in later and theyíve already sent 5 messages and are pretty sure Iím a fake.
No comparison.
The spam on POF is really obvious, it's pretty easy to just block and move on. Idk why anyone would bother responding "nice try" lol.

I've had quality dates from most of the apps and think it's worth having a profile on more than one. I'd take Bumble over Tinder for sure.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

3,512 posts, read 1,602,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
You can now talk on the phone now without sharing your personal phone number. Once you matched with someone you have the option to call. Men can only call after the first match. But that is awesome and it has happened at the right time...."Summer Time" I kept wondering why every time she sent a message it said YOUR MOVE. Bumble is about to eliminate online dating sites for good with this feature.

Only downside I see to this is it will increase the number of times someone flakes on you. Meaning that you can decide to not meet someone you made plans with if you get a "new bee in your hive"
Back when I used online dating, like OKC and POF, I found that talking on the phone did more harm than good. I learned the hard way that early on in the dating process, women look for every little excuse in the book to reject a man. Even saying "hey, how are you?" in the wrong inflection. So, after your first phone conversation, she later texts you to tell you she's "washing her hair that night". So why give a woman an easy excuse to reject you when you don't have to?

What I did was limit communication to the messages on the site, until it was time to meet. (No apps back then.) Then, right before setting up a date, I asked to exchange phone numbers. Only I wouldn't call until I was on the way, under the pretext of telling her she can head out too. (Because "I can't text while driving". ) It's a lot harder to flake out when both of you are already driving to meet each other. It kept flaking to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It got to the point that if I messaged a guy on POF, they thought it was fake and angrily replied: Nice Try! Or I’d reply once, check in later and they’ve already sent 5 messages and are pretty sure I’m a fake.
No comparison.
Sign of the times! It's what killed Usenet/newsgroups: the bots and the spam. To the point where real people couldn't use it. Granted, the bots were quite simplistic back then, but it wasn't too tricky to write one in C++. And now, the same thing is happening with online dating. Just curious: what did you write that the guys thought you were a fake?

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,690,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Back when I used online dating, like OKC and POF, I found that talking on the phone did more harm than good. I learned the hard way that early on in the dating process, women look for every little excuse in the book to reject a man. Even saying "hey, how are you?" in the wrong inflection. So, after your first phone conversation, she later texts you to tell you she's "washing her hair that night". So why give a woman an easy excuse to reject you when you don't have to?

What I did was limit communication to the messages on the site, until it was time to meet. (No apps back then.) Then, right before setting up a date, I asked to exchange phone numbers. Only I wouldn't call until I was on the way, under the pretext of telling her she can head out too. (Because "I can't text while driving". ) It's a lot harder to flake out when both of you are already driving to meet each other. It kept flaking to a minimum.

Sign of the times! It's what killed Usenet/newsgroups: the bots and the spam. To the point where real people couldn't use it. Granted, the bots were quite simplistic back then, but it wasn't too tricky to write one in C++. And now, the same thing is happening with online dating. Just curious: what did you write that the guys thought you were a fake?
AI is way more sophisticated now. We should have AI helping us fight cancer, instead a lot of it used to help scam others. Humanity......

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

5,154 posts, read 2,760,869 times
Thank god im not single!

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

3,789 posts, read 1,378,827 times
Quote:

Talking on the phone to set up a face to face meeting now talking on the phone all day.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

112 posts, read 22,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
AI is way more sophisticated now. We should have AI helping us fight cancer, instead a lot of it used to help scam others. Humanity......
The spam I see is anything but sophisticated lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Talking on the phone to set up a face to face meeting now talking on the phone all day.
I like messaging to set up dates.

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
So how would you see yourself using this calling feature? How early in a conversation?

The spam on POF is really obvious, it's pretty easy to just block and move on. Idk why anyone would bother responding "nice try" lol.

I've had quality dates from most of the apps and think it's worth having a profile on more than one. I'd take Bumble over Tinder for sure.
Because he was a moron?
I donít see myself using the feature actually, Iíve never liked talking into the phone. I have to be chained to it during working hours. So itís great for people who are worried about giving their phone number out to someone they want to get to know, but thatís for another thread.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

14,781 posts, read 12,249,791 times
Sounds really fun.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

Quote:

It was in response to messaging them. Nothing unusual, I just commented on an aspect of their profile, starting a conversation. I like to be the one to pick. Then I eventually learned “here” that all men don’t really get a lot of messages, so maybe that’s why. Idk, but the vicious cycle of it has caused a noticeably negative attitude coming out in their profile and messages. That’s why I switched to Bumble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or