U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:51 PM

13 posts, read 18,262 times

Advertisements

I'm a 37 year old guy and have been single since I was 25. I've only had two serious relationships (one for about 6 months when I was 18 and the other for a year and a half at age 24-25). I've had friends and family try to set me up on blind dates from time to time but in all honesty, I'm just not all that interested in dating and tell them no thanks. When I've pictured myself in the future, I can see myself having kids and would like to be a dad, but I just can't see myself in a serious relationship, mainly from lack of interest. Is this weird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:53 PM

43,419 posts, read 41,942,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spl1981 View Post
I'm a 37 year old guy and have been single since I was 25. I've only had two serious relationships (one for about 6 months when I was 18 and the other for a year and a half at age 24-25). I've had friends and family try to set me up on blind dates from time to time but in all honesty, I'm just not all that interested in dating and tell them no thanks. When I've pictured myself in the future, I can see myself having kids and would like to be a dad, but I just can't see myself in a serious relationship, mainly from lack of interest. Is this weird?
Can you explain more about the “lack of interest”? Unpack that idea a bit?

Old 07-15-2019, 10:44 PM

53 posts, read 9,004 times
Who cares whether it's "weird", what's "normal"? What matters is what YOU think, not anyone else. But you obviously care enough to post this thread, so why do you feel this way?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 PM

8,067 posts, read 6,012,497 times
Quote:
According to a certain thread on this forum, it's not only weird, but a crime against humanity. LOL!!!

But no, I don't think this is weird.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 PM

132 posts, read 21,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
According to a certain thread on this forum, it's not only weird, but a crime against humanity. LOL!!!

Yes, this is most definitely a crime against womankind ;-) Joking of course. You do what makes you happy and makes sense for your life.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:18 AM

4,451 posts, read 4,300,781 times
Hey, good for you! You could be like me, a man who wants relationship/marriage/kids and has no opportunities. If you're ok being alone, more power to ya.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 AM

346 posts, read 86,732 times
Quote:

Sounds like you found out a serious relationship is way more difficult than expected.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:43 AM

630 posts, read 266,525 times
Everyone is different. If you indeed cannot see yourself in LTR then its probably better that way, for what its worth.

For myself, I think relationships are great for two main reasons: 1.) you always have a steady sex partner and dont have to worry about ways to get through to them to "get some". Also, no need to worry about STDs and all that crap.
2.) Unless someone is really well off, it really is an optimal social construct to live together and rip the benefits of double income. I remember when I lived with a girlfriend for several years everything was so easy. I was at least +$500 every months by virtue of splitting living expenses. I really miss that now, and even though I make an ok living, I think for my next apartment I will be moving in with a roommate. I really need to build some equity at this point in the game.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:50 AM

201 posts, read 235,420 times
OP, have you considered adoption? It's now legal in all 50 states for a single person to adopt.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:44 PM

335 posts, read 187,587 times
I used to hate being single, but as I approach 50 (next April), I've come to see that that's how it's gonna be weither I want it that way or not, so yeah, I'm content with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or