U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:17 AM

4,460 posts, read 4,307,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Are you doing online dating? It greatly expands the available pool of potential partners.
Online dating is a joke where I live. Been doing it and various apps for years. It does me no good whatsoever. Sure, I occasionally get a date with a woman who's dating 4 other guys. I'm tired of competing and wasting time. Maybe I'm just old. Or maybe the rat race has worn me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Heck, I've met my share of women over 40 that are still chomping at the bit to have kids. I had to end things with a woman aged 40 that was insisting on this. She said she had to end a 5-year relationship with a 45 year old man because he didn't want to have kids.

Doesn't surprise me, because who wants to be an AARP member and a dad at the same time? age 55 and with a 10 year old is a turn off to most singles the same age with kids grown and out of the house
Will you please introduce me to these women? LOL.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 18 days ago)

9,683 posts, read 3,699,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Online dating is a joke where I live. Been doing it and various apps for years. It does me no good whatsoever. Sure, I occasionally get a date with a woman who's dating 4 other guys. I'm tired of competing and wasting time.
If a woman is dating 4 other guys, once she likes you enough, she'll stop seeing those other guys. Once you've been dating for a few weeks, you ask her to take down her profile. If she doesn't, then stop seeing her. If you want children, state that in your profile. If your profile says "undecided", then women who want kids won't respond to you.

Most people who are single date around until they find the right person.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Doesn't surprise me, because who wants to be an AARP member and a dad at the same time? age 55 and with a 10 year old is a turn off to most singles the same age with kids grown and out of the house
These are just your opinions. My husband is in his 50s with young kids. He's not out trying to date women because he's married. A person in their 50s is not elderly. He isn't stooped over using a cane to get around at this point. It's not like that. Grown kids "out of the house" can be just as much a burden as little ones, anyway. How many adult kids these days live with their parents? Quite a few.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If a woman is dating 4 other guys, once she likes you enough, she'll stop seeing those other guys. Once you've been dating for a few weeks, you ask her to take down her profile. If she doesn't, then stop seeing her. If you want children, state that in your profile. If your profile says "undecided", then women who want kids won't respond to you.

Most people who are single date around until they find the right person.
OK, I'll make that change then. So many people have opinions on that, and I was advised to leave it "undecided". I understand what you're saying about the 4 other guys thing, but I have an example of a woman who claimed to not be dating anyone. We had one date (a good date) and the next thing I know (a week later when I was on vacation and staying in contact with her) she's posting pictures on facebook with another guy. I immediately bailed on her. I mean, its ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
OK, I'll make that change then. So many people have opinions on that, and I was advised to leave it "undecided". I understand what you're saying about the 4 other guys thing, but I have an example of a woman who claimed to not be dating anyone. We had one date (a good date) and the next thing I know (a week later when I was on vacation and staying in contact with her) she's posting pictures on facebook with another guy. I immediately bailed on her. I mean, its ridiculous.
That's exactly what you should do - bail on them and don't look back. Quickly move onto someone else. It's a numbers game. Wasting too much time with the wrong person sets you back.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:09 PM

78,937 posts, read 70,771,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waanaabe View Post
Hi, I'm new so I'll start with something I read and was shocked by. In a similar forum, a woman posted that men over 40 often check the "wanting children" box in dating site. This, a total 100% or responders attributed to a gimmick to meet younger women. NOBODY assumed the men really wanted kids, nor older woman. WHY? Because I, a WOMAN over 40 wanting children but having fertility issues, was looking for the best place to put a relationship as and turned out NOTHING that was NOT "hookups". What if some men feel the same? It's extra-hard to find such a place. I was also shocked but the number of people disgusted by the idea of 40-50somethings having kids. But it's a fact of this century that there are as many 20yo's who don't have children as 40yos who do.As a psychologist, I'd have lots to have, but let's focus
If anyone has something positive to contribute, I'm all ears! (sites where to place ads would be welcomed!) Thank you all, waanaabe
I thought it was a cohort of the Boomer generation, that made having kids at 40+ normal. I remember reading about a phenom called the "double baby boom" in the 80's some time, that was about two generations having kids at the same time: 20-somethings and also 40-somethings were both starting families at the same time. I have a friend who was in her early 60's when she sent her youngest off to college.

Where do you live, OP, that people were weirded out, that 40-somethings would have kids? Maybe it's an alien concept in more traditional parts of the US?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:02 PM

16,133 posts, read 12,881,666 times
40 is the new 30!

Old 07-19-2019, 02:06 PM

857 posts, read 234,479 times
I don't think it's weird to want to start a family later in life at all. I've always said I'd consider adopting in my 40s sometime if I changed my mind about children. In my opinion, the 40s are still pretty young and I don't think it'd even be weird to adopt (or have, if male) a child in your 50s.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I don't think it's weird to want to start a family later in life at all. I've always said I'd consider adopting in my 40s sometime if I changed my mind about children. In my opinion, the 40s are still pretty young and I don't think it'd even be weird to adopt (or have, if male) a child in your 50s.
It would not be weird to adopt a child in your 50s, but many adoption agencies won't work with couples in their 50s. Some won't even work with couples in their 40s, unless one of the partners is significantly younger. It might be more feasible to get a teenager from foster care if one is past the age of 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or