U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 04:55 AM

2,143 posts, read 587,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You see, to me that would make someone a potential friend. It wouldn't inspire that spark of desire for a relationship. I don't know where people are getting that. I looked through lots of profiles and didn't feel a desire to meet anybody. Sleep with them, yes. Date them...no I didn't find that.
I am not sure I follow. Why would you not date them? I mean, I got what you mean about the listed characteristics of a previous posters listing off of characteristics that would make them JUST a friend. Don't get where you mean by "Dating vs sleeping".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 08:50 PM

7,737 posts, read 4,955,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
I don't know. I'm a believer in the idea that love is a verb, something you do more so than something you feel. The trick is finding someone compatible who will reciprocate that.

Everyone has a different social life, too. I am generally either at work or hanging out with friends who I've had for a while. I don't have a lot of social interaction with _new_ people outside of work. So for me, finding a connection is really unlikely if I don't make a purposeful effort to date. Could you elaborate on the circumstances where you've had a connection naturally occur, without dating?
There are several different circumstances where people can meet others they are attracted to; clubs, parties, shared activity groups, malls, grocery stores, schools, work, etc. Any place where you're "forced" to be social and talk to many different people, increases your chances of "connecting" with someone. You don't necessarily have to meet potential romantic interests through dating alone. Also, the term dating, means different things to different people.

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

216 posts, read 50,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
You see, to me that would make someone a potential friend. It wouldn't inspire that spark of desire for a relationship. I don't know where people are getting that. I looked through lots of profiles and didn't feel a desire to meet anybody. Sleep with them, yes. Date them...no I didn't find that.
To me, the point of a dating app is to get a first date with someone who is reasonably compatible, attractive, and interesting to talk with. I don't expect a "spark of desire for a relationship" from reading a profile. That's why I have conversations and go on dates. Asking for a first date isn't a marriage proposal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
There are several different circumstances where people can meet others they are attracted to; clubs, parties, shared activity groups, malls, grocery stores, schools, work, etc. Any place where you're "forced" to be social and talk to many different people, increases your chances of "connecting" with someone. You don't necessarily have to meet potential romantic interests through dating alone. Also, the term dating, means different things to different people.
My post described my personal viewpoint and circumstances. I don't claim that it applies to everyone. Everything you say is true in generality, but I was hoping the other poster would describe actual experiences for context.

I agree with your last sentence

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

7,737 posts, read 4,955,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
My post described my personal viewpoint and circumstances. I don't claim that it applies to everyone. Everything you say is true in generality, but I was hoping the other poster would describe actual experiences for context.

I agree with your last sentence
I wasn't trying to "falsify" your experiences or claim they weren't true. I realize that many people have different ways of meeting people. I just saw your question and decided to answer it, despite the fact that you were talking to another poster. There are a few scenarios where I met people I liked in school. Sitting in a specific class with that particular someone and having a conversation helped to spark romantic feelings. The only difference is that, it was not arranged through a dating app and dating was not the focus of our interaction. A romantic attraction formed naturally just from talking to one another. Pretty sure the other poster will probably come back and tell you something similar. But that's just my example.

Old Today, 10:23 AM

16 posts, read 622 times
I want to start using a nice dating app but just dont trust them anymore in this 2019 world. I tried online sites in the past but, cant remember if they were a success or not. Im still single so no. My family hooked up one of my siblings with a relationship but have left me all on my own. Im attracted to intelligence mainly, sapiosexual I guess. Im busy right not in life for a relationship but not too busy for snapchat. Something about snapchat that video, is like proof you arnt being set up. Instagram is owned by facebook, so its full of trolls accounts already. Snapchat fills your feed up with women, they know if you're single from what you post and what you touch to watch. Social media is all one big algorithm and trying to find a partner, its just not safe I believe.

Have to find my relationship off social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or