U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:21 AM

40 posts, read 15,862 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend's dad doesn't approve of me because I'm an atheist and he comes from a conservative, religious upbringing. My girlfriend's mom isn't as religious as he is and my girlfriend says that she "kind of" believes in God, but I honestly feel like she only says so to put up with her father. Anyway, he's not exactly keen on being around me and he doesn't like whenever I come over to their house, so I've done what I can to avoid him. But just last week, I ended up going on vacation with my girlfriend and her family. Her dad was against it, but the trip was to their Summer rental house in North Carolina and it's an annual trip they take, the house being paid for by my girlfriend's uncle. (her mom's brother) Her uncle actually likes me and he was more than happy to let me join the trip and her dad didn't have any say in me tagging along.

The trip consisted of me, my girlfriend, her parents, her brother and his girlfriend, her aunt and uncle, and her cousin. It was the nine of us going to the Summer rental, all looking to have a good time, but my girlfriend's dad ruined it for everyone. We mostly avoided each other on the first day and it was easy since I drove in my own car with my girlfriend, but the next day we went out to eat and I ordered a salad since I want to eat healthy. Her dad was sitting right next to me and he ordered himself a full plate of prime rib. He began criticizing me for eating a salad and he start bragging about his "manly meal". He told me to "man up" and stop eating "women food" and I just sat there and took it to keep the peace.

The next day, he suddenly barges into the room that me and my girlfriend were staying in and he starts yelling at me to pick up my clothes and stop leaving them all over the floor. I told him that he's not even paying for this house, so he has no right to be saying this. I then argued that it's my room and I can do whatever I want in it. I even said to him "I could take a dump in my hand and smear it all over the walls and it'd be fine since it's MY room." Her dad simply said "Don't push it" and then came dinner. We barbecued and again, I just chose to have some salad and a bowl of fruit. My girlfriend's dad saw and he said "You're ruining this vacation. Live a little, why don't you?" I just kept ignoring him, but then said to my girlfriend "This guy's not ever gonna be part of MY family." I looked up, asked him what he meant by that, and he said to me "You're not ever going to be welcome in my family. I'm just doing what Jesus would do." I snapped, grabbed one of her mom's homemade pies, and threw it at her dad. He was covered in pie and yelling at me to leave and that's what I did. I went out in the front yard followed by everyone else, I got in my car, and drove off.

I drove on my own back home and I've been ignoring my girlfriend's calls, texts, and voice mails. That trip was last week and I'm still avoiding all of them. Part of me wants to just never contact my girlfriend again and just leave things as they are, but another part of me wants to try and make things right. I just really hate her dad and I don't know how much more of this I can put up with. He's always like this when I'm around, but he gets along just fine with my girlfriend's brother's girlfriend. I do really care about my relationship with my girlfriend and I'm struggling on how to handle this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:24 AM

78,988 posts, read 70,797,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancined;
I'm struggling on how to handle this
Um, throwing a pie at him isn't the way to handle it.

I find some details of this story hard to believe.

Granted, the dad is very rude. Where was the uncle during these altercations, especially the mealtime ones?

P.S. "...doing what Jesus would do"? Laughable. Jesus wouldn't be rude to someone quietly minding their own business.

Has your gf ever talked to her dad about his behavior? Does her mom tolerate this extreme rudeness?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; Today at 11:45 AM..

Old Today, 11:28 AM

105 posts, read 5,139 times
That was pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiUhSPje0xY

Old Today, 11:33 AM

22,602 posts, read 24,191,613 times
Quote:
My girlfriend's dad doesn't approve of me because I'm an atheist and he comes from a conservative, religious upbringing.
How and why did this even come up?

Old Today, 11:36 AM

8,581 posts, read 7,160,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How and why did this even come up?
I have a father in law who is as stereotypical and old world as it gets concerning this topic. He would just straight up ask you so he could understand for himself who he was dealing with.

Old Today, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
I have a father in law who is as stereotypical and old world as it gets concerning this topic. He would just straight up ask you so he could understand for himself who he was dealing with.
That's exactly how he is. He just asked me and I was honest with him.

Old Today, 11:43 AM

20,231 posts, read 11,210,470 times
Aren't you unmarried so that you can walk away over issues like this?

No point in staying in a lot of drama unnecessarily. In the long run, it's doing nothing for your life.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

43,500 posts, read 42,009,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancined View Post

We mostly avoided each other on the first day and it was easy since I drove in my own car with my girlfriend....
From your camping trip thread just last month:

Quote:
I didn't want to have to mention this, but I might as well: My license was suspended because of a DUI. I legally can't drive.

So your license is no longer suspended?

Old Today, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
From your camping trip thread just last month:

So your license is no longer suspended?
Correct. I got my license back at the end of June.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

43,500 posts, read 42,009,843 times
Quote:
Correct. I got my license back at the end of June.
Why are you so unstable? You push people's face in the snow and throw pies when you're angry. Sounds like you should be under supervision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or