U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 02:43 PM

9,972 posts, read 6,201,054 times

Advertisements

Online dating is full of flaky people and that's why I never got into it.

One of my wife's friends told us that some of the people on there don't even want to date, they just want an ego boost from people finding them attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

9,968 posts, read 3,824,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post

One of my wife's friends told us that some of the people on there don't even want to date, they just want an ego boost from people finding them attractive.
I guess that wasn't my experience because I met my spouse doing online dating. But I was under 40, wore a size 6 and was attractive. Maybe that's why I didn't have all these negative experiences that so many others report. I did notice some people put up what appeared to be fake profiles, but anyone with half a brain could figure that out. If someone is taken in by con artists and fakers, they need to find out why they are that stupid.

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

65 posts, read 6,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post

I can definitely agree with that.... full of flakes. A lot of people are up there just to have others boost their egos. The games that women claim that men play... well guess what... women play them too. I have 20+ years of online dating stories I could share dating back to the late 90's when I start messing around online (LOL)... I'm 45 now.

Ironically... my girlfriend I met online via POF. We hit it off and dated casually for a bit then moved in together a few months later. That was 6 years ago.

Prior to that it was hit or miss. Some dates went great... some were horrible. I once met one in a coffee shop and I knew she was super high maintenance the moment she walked in... beautiful... and I still bailed.

Another time I met one for drinks after work at a restaurant on the beach... we had nice conversation and she made the first move with a kiss... then later in the evening another kiss... and another as I walked to her car. So I couldn't possibly be a bad kisser right?

The next day she texted me and told me she had a great time but she wasn't ready for dating.

Then 2 days later she had a new profile up with a new photo.

Hilarious but hey... she got her free drinks!

So in short... online dating is a big game. Play it... or get played.

Old Today, 02:46 AM

2,143 posts, read 587,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I guess that wasn't my experience because I met my spouse doing online dating. But I was under 40, wore a size 6 and was attractive. Maybe that's why I didn't have all these negative experiences that so many others report. I did notice some people put up what appeared to be fake profiles, but anyone with half a brain could figure that out. If someone is taken in by con artists and fakers, they need to find out why they are that stupid.
Hm, it has always boggled my mind as to why some people had not ONE bad experience, while others had VERY short lived, nightmarish experiences with the people they met. Recent friend of mine almost called the cops on the guy for getting to handsy with her. (Grabbing her arse/private parts). If not handsy, then verbal perversion.

Old Today, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach911 View Post
I can definitely agree with that.... full of flakes. A lot of people are up there just to have others boost their egos. The games that women claim that men play... well guess what... women play them too. I have 20+ years of online dating stories I could share dating back to the late 90's when I start messing around online (LOL)... I'm 45 now.

Ironically... my girlfriend I met online via POF. We hit it off and dated casually for a bit then moved in together a few months later. That was 6 years ago.

Prior to that it was hit or miss. Some dates went great... some were horrible. I once met one in a coffee shop and I knew she was super high maintenance the moment she walked in... beautiful... and I still bailed.

Another time I met one for drinks after work at a restaurant on the beach... we had nice conversation and she made the first move with a kiss... then later in the evening another kiss... and another as I walked to her car. So I couldn't possibly be a bad kisser right?

The next day she texted me and told me she had a great time but she wasn't ready for dating.

Then 2 days later she had a new profile up with a new photo.

Hilarious but hey... she got her free drinks!

So in short... online dating is a big game. Play it... or get played.
Agreed on the ego boost. This explains why you keep seeing the same women over and over, they use it as an extension of their social media. I had a female friend of mine tell me that she had a co-worker braggin' about how full her inbox...even showing off her smart phone with the inbox filled up.

Just another dopamine fix for some.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't get why someone would be physically intimate on a first date and then switch gears like that.

Old Today, 03:29 AM

I also don't get the whole, "I'm looking to start off as friends" or "Friends first" thing when it comes to online dating. That can be interpreted so many ways...I used to typically cater to this, even send off my first message saying, "Yeah, I like the friends first thing as well" and talk about the benefits of it. Of course, you don't get a response, so it's moot.

"First first, WITH physical attraction". You have to learn to read between in the lines.

I recall going on 2 dates with a woman, and she kept insisting on doing dutch each time and didn't even acknowledge BOTH instances as actual "dates" persee'. And they wonder why men get impatient. lol Plausible deniability I guess.

Um, we MET on a "DATING" site, of course it's a date.

Old Today, 10:46 AM

677 posts, read 179,155 times
Default It's called The Dating Game!

It's called The Dating Game! 💑

So either you play it in your favor or you wind up getting played!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or