Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 14,742 times

Advertisements

Alright, so let me paint a picture of my life real quick. Ive been married for 10 years, were both 35 yrs. old. We have two kids, one 8 and the other 3. I work from home and he has been unemployed for like 8 months. So we are practically together all the time. While I dont mind it, I also want to preserve my friendships. I don;t have a lot of friends anymore, I used to have a lot and through the years things change. So, the little amount of friends I have now I want to make sure I preserve them. If my friends and I go out we go have sushi (which my husband hates), go day drinking (home by 10PM-latest) or go to our local coffee shop. My husband has argued that I should invite him to spend time with my friends like he invites me. But i feel like I need to keep that separate, they are my therapists free of charge. Naturally, i dont want to mix them, i couldn't vent freely. Anyway, he says that I need to stay at home and take care of our kids like he does. I dont think thats right.
He doesnt have any friends, so when i push him to go out and have time for himself he always replies.. go out with who? what friends?? This however, is not my fault! he chooses to not have friends and now he is mom-shaming me for trying to keep mine. I have tried to reason with him, i just don't know what to do, specifically how to get through him. I feel like i am trapped in a cage. Dont get me wrong, I love my family life and I am very grateful to have it, i just dont think I am solely a mom or wife. I am still ME..
advise?

Last edited by adrimore10; 07-19-2019 at 10:55 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Ok, I think you have a few separate issues.

One, your husband needs to get back to work. His self esteem is in the toilet, and he’s too dependent on you for entertainment. He’s also probably jealous of the time you spend with your friends, because he’s adrift right now. It is not unusual for men to be uninterested in keeping up social connections, except through their work. If I didn’t do it, dh and I wouldn’t have any friends either.

Two, he probably is not crazy about you “sharing” your personal life with your day drinking buddies. You must stop that. Your personal life is not their business.

Three, I think you have lost track of each other and some therapy would help a lot.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 AM

314 posts, read 222,285 times
I don't see your situation changing unless he actively tries to make friends of his own but he sounds like a jealous control-freak. Did he ever have friends?

Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,335,270 times
It is called codependency. You all have 10+ years together with this dynamic. It is NOT going to change without drastic measures.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 14,742 times
I appreciate the blunt advise. You're right, my personal life is no ones business but mine and my partners, the sharing will stop. And you're right about his self-esteem. He has had friends in the past just not like me. He has always been a home body and doesnt like to drift from that. But yea, thanks for your input.

Old 07-19-2019, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,839 times
Are your friends male or female?

Old 07-19-2019, 11:27 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
This is pretty standard behavior from insecure men. You have friends and he doesn't and it makes him insecure. He thinks It makes you better than him in some way. Therefore instead of dealing with it, he tries to push you away from your friends. Its selfish and you need to be firm about it.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
It doesn't sound like he wants you to push your friends away; rather, I guess he's all for hiring a babysitter and tagging along with your girlfriends.

Are your friends married parents also? If so, I do think it's kind of unusual that you don't do family stuff with your friends. When I had kids at home I really didn't go out all that much with just other women. Twice a month. Otherwise, I did a lot of socializing family style.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:49 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,882 times
There is nothing wrong with girl time (or guy time for a husband). I think it's healthy to have female friends and see them by yourself occasionally. If your friends are trustworthy and you occasionally need to share or ask an opinion then I don't see anything wrong with that either. Sometimes an outside opinion is helpful. Of course this doesn't mean spilling every detail of your personal life but IMO it's OK to share some things with a couple of close friends. It's been my experience that most people do.

Unless your husband is willing to get some help/counseling and actively look for a job, I don't see anything changing. It sounds like he's afraid for you to have friends or doesn't want you to have any "outside" interests. Does he try to control you in other areas or just this one? It's almost like he may be afraid of you leaving him. Couples counseling may help too. If he's not interested in going, then go alone.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:03 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Unfortunately, you have no future with him that's any different from the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships