U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

4,932 posts, read 1,569,608 times

Advertisements

Oh well if I don't paid right away, then yes I would have to leave after a few months for sure, but I was told I should move out there for 3-6 months by a couple of friends, and at least try, if they may be right?

I can use my car to drive around, but I was told that public transportation is a lot faster there, since the trains are faster than traffic jams. When I visited there before the trains were faster for sure. But if I get jobs where I am using my own audio equipment that I have to carry around, then I will use the car and make time for sure.

I would have to get a different job to pay rent yes. The former classmate who is out there gave me a list of areas where the rent is much less costly. She has less money than me I think, and she is doing it or at least she insinuates money is always really tight for her.

As for getting experience where I am it's been hard getting on other people's sets because a lot of times, they say sure, you can come on, but they get so busy making the movie, that they forget to stay in contact, which is totally understandable. But then when they are done, they finally see my email and say sorry, I got so busy making the movie I forgot to stay in touch about it. Which is understandable, but that's the reason why it's been difficult where I am, and I was told there are a lot more movies being made there, so the luck of the draw on getting on them is much bigger than here, if that's true.

But as far as banking on getting a job right away, two classmates I know got jobs on sets right away, and they said that is how available the work is out there, that you will get jobs on sets right away. According to them at least, and they seem to be doing a lot better than me now, because of it.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

38,199 posts, read 56,029,042 times
I think that OP is just wishful thinking. His move to Vancouver will progress in the same peace like his movie script - six pages in 5 years.
So let him live that dream and make plans, wants and hopes.
Be prepared for dozens of "what" and "how" and "help me understand" threads that will follow.
I don't think we can talk some sense into him. He doesn't understand the advice we are giving.

I think, OP should visit the place first and see how things are, talk to people, get an idea about jobs and places to live, costs of moving and living there etc. He might get a better perspective and reality check.
He should take his resume and portfolio, and see if anyone is even interested.
Those should be the right first step he should take.

Just read the post above: OP is comparing himself with people who don't have his mental disability and understandably doing better there. They might encourage him out of pity but don't really believe he will come, knock on their doors and say: here I am.
Same with the producers who conveniently are "forgetting" about him when they are making movie, and just write "sorry" emails after they finish. They frankly don't want to be bothered by him or think his skills could be helpful.
I don't think OP has ability to comprehend that.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 01:16 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

22,643 posts, read 24,236,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that OP is just wishful thinking. His move to Vancouver will progress in the same peace like his move script - six pages in 5 years.
So let him live that dream and make plans, wants and hopes.
Be prepared for dozens of "what" and "how" and "help me understand" threads that will follow.
I don't think we can talk some sense into him. He doesn't understand the advice we are giving.
It's good that OP has some connections in the industry who are willing to help, but from we've seen from his interactions on this board, his likelihood of following through is low. I'd be really wary of him calling in those favors and then flaking, because that could very likely burn those bridges and close doors that he may need open the future.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Oh well I am totally willing on following them, I just wanted to be ready to go, to show them I am ready, instead of taking a long time to move. Why would I be low on following through?

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

20,775 posts, read 16,747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, well I asked before on this thread and thought I would take some of the advice here on how to live there:

How do people with low paying jobs afford to live in costly cities?

I talked to a guy here who has connections in the business, and he said that the company out there, he has connections to, through filmmaking work are starving for crew right now, and since I have boom op experience from working on other people's movies here, I be a boom op, and he can help me get in with that company if I would like, or so he says. I also have connections with a student from my class, and she said she would help me try to get a job with people she knows out there as well. However, when talking to both of them their attitude is that so many people are looking for crew out there it's ridiculous and I won't have trouble finding a crew job, cause they are all over the place, looking for new crew, or that is what they say at least, but I don't see why they would lie about that, if that's true.

But if there are a lot of other competition out there, am I better off just trying to break into the film industry from where I am now then, location wise, or what?

As for having a step by step plan, I would have to talk to the two I know first who said they could help get me in, and then come up with the plan, I just feel I should be ready to go and move, after telling them.

If they can help you, they can help you ahead of time. They can put you in touch with people right now, they can send you links for housing right now. It;s not some 1950's world where you have to be in person to find a place to live and a job. If someone is starting a movie in October, they are going to be hiring people well ahead of time, so why can't they put you in touch with these people?

I have a hard time believing they can't find people. Everyone and his brother wants an "in" in the movie business. Maybe your friends are not as knowledgeable as they think.

Go there for a week, see what you can line up, like the other poster said. If they are that desperate, your friends should be able to at least introduce you to those who do the hiring. If they can't there's your answer.

What is the exact advice you are taking from that thread in order to live in Vancouver? I recall the advice was all very varied. What is your plan exactly to afford to live there? I know a lot of people advised roommates, but A. you are not going to get approved for an expensive apartment on a crew salary with little credit (if any...do you have credit?). B., getting roomates is going to be harder given your disability. Have your friends just made vague "I'll help you find housing" statements, or have they sent you actual links to places? Again, you need a plan, you need things in place ahead of time. You can't just go and wing it. And you can't just go on vague promises from friends with nothing to back them up. If I had a friend who wanted to move here and was in my industry, I'd ahead of time say "Call Rose Smith (609) 222-2222, I know their company is looking". If your friend is already working on sets he should be able to set you up before you get there. Again if he can't I wouldn't count on him after you arrive.

Also find out things like where you can park your car. You can't just assume a big metro area has free parking. In NYC, it costs a fortune to park a car, and many apartments do not have parking.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; Yesterday at 01:15 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

38,199 posts, read 56,029,042 times
Yes, that's right^^^
The problem is that OP doesn't understand the difference between a serious talk and "nice BS out of pity". I bet everyone he knows is already so tired hearing about his movie, his script, his plans, his masturbation's and other sexual deviations, his GF, his health problems, all those endless questions etc. that they just tell him what he wants to hear to get rid of him...

Most questions he ask he could Google online, but no - he will make thread after thread and ask trivial questions wearing everyone out.
He could find out about the jobs in the movie industry and if there is really such need for a crew, the housing availability and costs, and everything else. All that info is easy to obtain on the Internet.
We don't live there, we don't know the film industry. He needs to find it out by himself.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; Yesterday at 01:40 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If they can help you, they can help you ahead of time. They can put you in touch with people right now, they can send you links for housing right now. It;s not some 1950's world where you have to be in person to find a place to live and a job. If someone is starting a movie in October, they are going to be hiring people well ahead of time, so why can't they put you in touch with these people?

I have a hard time believing they can't find people. Everyone and his brother wants an "in" in the movie business. Maybe your friends are not as knowledgeable as they think.

Go there for a week, see what you can line up, like the other poster said. If they are that desperate, your friends should be able to at least introduce you to those who do the hiring. If they can't there's your answer.

What is the exact advice you are taking from that thread in order to live in Vancouver? I recall the advice was all very varied. What is your plan exactly to afford to live there? I know a lot of people advised roommates, but A. you are not going to get approved for an expensive apartment on a crew salary with little credit (if any...do you have credit?). B., getting roomates is going to be harder given your disability. Have your friends just made vague "I'll help you find housing" statements, or have they sent you actual links to places? Again, you need a plan, you need things in place ahead of time. You can't just go and wing it. And you can't just go on vague promises from friends with nothing to back them up. If I had a friend who wanted to move here and was in my industry, I'd ahead of time say "Call Rose Smith (609) 222-2222, I know their company is looking". If your friend is already working on sets he should be able to set you up before you get there. Again if he can't I wouldn't count on him after you arrive.

Also find out things like where you can park your car. You can't just assume a big metro area has free parking. In NYC, it costs a fortune to park a car, and many apartments do not have parking.
Okay sure, I can ask the one guy to put me in touch then way ahead of time of moving there, if that's best then and see what he says.

As for living there, my friend just gave me lists of places of the city to live in that are cheaper than others, and one of those areas she is living in now. I can ask the guy friend though, who said he has connections to get me a contact way ahead of time then if that's better.

As for the advice before being varried in the previous thead, I meant the advice to live in the really cheap neighborhoods I could find, if that's best.

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

22,643 posts, read 24,236,879 times
Did you do any research or price out apartments in those areas? Do you have a plan for when you'd like to move, so that if you call these connections you can tell them that you are going to be in the area and available to work on October 15 (or whatever)?

And your first post was asking about leaving without telling your family or girlfriend. Your girlfriend told you that long distance wasn't going to work for her--are you going to break up with her or ask her to move with you?

Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM

4,887 posts, read 1,486,459 times
Quote:
I meant the advice to live in the really cheap neighborhoods I could find, if that's best.
OP, are you comfortable living in the cheap neighborhoods? I don't know much about Canada....but, in the US, the cheap neighborhoods in major cities are crime ridden.

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

20,775 posts, read 16,747,244 times
Quote:
Okay sure, I can ask the one guy to put me in touch then way ahead of time of moving there, if that's best then and see what he says.

As for living there, my friend just gave me lists of places of the city to live in that are cheaper than others, and one of those areas she is living in now. I can ask the guy friend though, who said he has connections to get me a contact way ahead of time then if that's better.

As for the advice before being varried in the previous thead, I meant the advice to live in the really cheap neighborhoods I could find, if that's best.

So have you gone online and searched for apartments in the areas they mentioned? How else are you going to be able to see how much they are going for, or of any places have parking? Again, you do that right now, while you're trying to make the decision, not after the decision. Because the answers you find are necessary to make a good decision. If you can't think to do this on your own, then I understand what your parents mean when they express concern about your ability to handle life independently. It's pretty basic research that will tell you if your idea is feasible or not pretty quickly.

The "really cheap" neighborhoods are really cheap because there is a reason no one wants to live there. usually they are the scary, crime-ridden neighborhoods. If you moved to LA with a plan to live in the cheapest neighborhood, you'd be living in south central with the Crips and Bloods. You will never survive an area like that, especially with your disability.

Again, you do research right now. You look for apartments online in Vancouver, see that neighborhood they are in, then you look up info to see if that area is safe. You don't even need to look it up, I'm sure there is a Vancouver forum right here. So see if you can find an area online with affordable rents, then go ask about that area.

But again, it seems like you need a lot of guidance to do these things, to formulate how to make a step by step plan, and how to take action on it. There are things such as this which makes me think your family is right and you do need someone to assist you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships