U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 03:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 549,372 times

Advertisements

How will you pay for a down payment to secure an apartment?
How will you pay for first and security deposits?

Old 07-28-2019, 03:08 PM

22,696 posts, read 24,289,693 times
Maybe it's time to take a short trip to Vancouver to scope out the situation. Have your friend show you around the city and where you might be living; set up some meetings with your connections in the industry. Heck, take your girlfriend with you so she can see that you're serious.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:08 PM

4,960 posts, read 1,588,586 times
Well I find this very strange cause before on here, I didn't even want to move a year ago, and people were telling me to do it as that is the only way to get into the career you want. Now people are saying it's crazy and how will I do it. I worked up the courage to follow the advice and do what it takes, and now people are saying DON'T DO IT! What changed?

Old 07-28-2019, 03:10 PM

20,930 posts, read 16,814,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
How will you pay for a down payment to secure an apartment?
How will you pay for first and security deposits?
He does have a good amount of savings. His parents have made him keep it in savings, probably for a future when they are no longer around. He has a dream of making movies and has wanted to spend it on that several times.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:11 PM

38,376 posts, read 56,182,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s more likely your friend is not as knowledgeable as she pretends to be and is either guessing or telling you about prices from long ago not realizing the extent to which real estate has risen in value. Which is why we are saying to do the research first and not to count on promises made my friends who may or may not really know what they’re talking about.

You can lol up crime statistics for a given area online. You can find online maps of the entire city with the high crime areas highlighted. You can simply go to the Vancouver forum and ask about the area. Again basic things an independent person should be able to think of and do.

Don’t forget to look up the parking info. In many big metro areas it costs hundreds of dollars a month to park. In NYC even the expensive parking places have years long waiting lists.
Canada isn't like the US. The crime there is much lower. There is no need to ask about safety and be afraid of crime, mass murderers etc.
I think the highest crime is smoking weed and using other drugs. Still very mild compared.
You can see the stats here:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by Yac; 08-05-2019 at 02:26 AM..

Old 07-28-2019, 03:18 PM

7,380 posts, read 3,060,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am heavily thinking of moving to Vancouver to advance my potential career in filmmaking but my family and gf keep trying to talk me out of it.

I know it's crazy, but does it sound like the best idea, given that they are making any moving, more difficult for me?
You keep creating new threads about all this but keep rehashing the same ground over and over again. Your family is talking you out of it because they know it just ISN'T the best idea for you. They know you better than you seem to know yourself. You don't want to hear it, you want things to magically just happen. Sorry, life doesn't work like that. It IS difficult and you are simply not prepared to handle this. If you don't want to listen to your parents, you have a loving and patient girlfriend. Listen to her. Moving out without telling anyone would be cruel.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:19 PM

4,960 posts, read 1,588,586 times
Well there have been some murders in Vancouver here and there. I thought about moving to Surrey which is a city outside Vancouver and it's cheaper cause there is one guy out there I know who lives in a trailer in a trailer park who is a friend of my ex, but people say don't, since the crime higher there.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:20 PM

22,696 posts, read 24,289,693 times
Quote:
Well I find this very strange cause before on here, I didn't even want to move a year ago, and people were telling me to do it as that is the only way to get into the career you want. Now people are saying it's crazy and how will I do it. I worked up the courage to follow the advice and do what it takes, and now people are saying DON'T DO IT! What changed?
Honestly, I don't think anything has changed. Last year you might have gotten advice from people who are unfamiliar with your saga here. This might be harsh, but you've been pretty consistently timid and indecisive, which is why most posters aren't telling your to follow your dreams no matter what. Heck, just a few weeks ago you were in the work forum needing your hand held to ask for a day off. That's not the kind of attitude that gets results.

And since we're still in the Relationships forum, you keep not answering the questions about your future with your girlfriend if you move to Vancouver--she told you no for a long distance relationship, so then what?

Old 07-28-2019, 03:24 PM

7,380 posts, read 3,060,573 times
Quote:
No, actually what people were suggesting is to move out ONCE YOU ARE PREPARED to do so. What preparations have you made since that advice was given? What research about moving to Vancouver have you done since then? Do you know what your move will cost? Do you have steady work that will pay the bills? Have an affordable place to live? Connections within the industry that will allow you to start your career in it? This is a lot different than shoving some clothes in a backpack and sneaking out without telling anyone and leaving them all to worry about what happened to you.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:25 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,363,661 times
Default No drama mama

Quote:
I am heavily thinking of moving to Vancouver to advance my potential career in filmmaking but my family and gf keep trying to talk me out of it. They love me, but they say they tell me I won't be able to do it cause I am autistic, and you don't know anything about living in the big city, and industry will eat me and all my money alive, etc etc.

I feel that they are trying to talk me out of it so much that maybe I should just act like I am not moving and secretly and discretely move there, without them even knowing, and then once I have moved, just send them a email and explain that I had to without telling them, just so I could do it, without them driving me more crazy about it.

Then tell me gf that I love her and that if she still wants to be in a relationship with me, I am completely willing to, long distance. She said that it won't work if I do but I am still willing to.

I know it's crazy, but does it sound like the best idea, given that they are making any moving, more difficult for me?

Why I never get into "wee wee contests"?

Because I avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships