U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:59 PM

1,835 posts, read 535,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He does have a good amount of savings. His parents have made him keep it in savings, probably for a future when they are no longer around. He has a dream of making movies and has wanted to spend it on that several times.
Yeah but his parents dont support his move, I wonder if they are able to keep him from spending this money, even though hes an adult.

Old Today, 05:03 PM

20,775 posts, read 16,738,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay I thought that I am willing to keep going where as other people are trying to get me to stop when it becomes difficult. They even told me that it doesn't matter what plan I come up with and that Vancouver is unliv-able for me no matter what. So I didn't think they would even listen to a plan but I can try to come up with one then. Before I ask the guy to try to help secure a job, I will research the living there more first then.

So far though, I am not seeing places for rent as cheap as I was told by the classmate who lives there though.
She was probably going by what rents were the last time she looked for a place. But in major cities all over the place rents have skyrocketed in recent years.

Old Today, 05:07 PM

20,775 posts, read 16,738,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Yeah but his parents dont support his move, I wonder if they are able to keep him from spending this money, even though hes an adult.
I donít think he would really do it if they werenít on board. I am assuming they are power of attorney however or whatever the Canadian version of that is.

OK why donít you see if you can get a job at a movie set and then just stay with one of your friends temporarily while youíre doing it and see that you could look around. You could even pay the friend a small stipend for letting you stay there. And makes a lot more sense than completely moving there. And jobs on movie sets are always temporary so thereís no reason you canít do it like this. Your parents are probably much more agreeable to this than having you actually move there. If it works out while youíre there and you get offers for full-time jobs, find reasonable rent, then your parents will be more likely to let you move.

Old Today, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I donít think he would really do it if they werenít on board. I am assuming they are power of attorney however or whatever the Canadian version of that is.

OK why donít you see if you can get a job at a movie set and then just stay with one of your friends temporarily while youíre doing it and see that you could look around. You could even pay the friend a small stipend for letting you stay there. And makes a lot more sense than completely moving there. And jobs on movie sets are always temporary so thereís no reason you canít do it like this. Your parents are probably much more agreeable to this than having you actually move there. If it works out while youíre there and you get offers for full-time jobs, find reasonable rent, then your parents will be more likely to let you move.
Youre assuming that his friends would actually put up with him.
I dont know what his ailments are, but based on what other posters said, his "Friends" are blowing smoke up his tucas and likely wouldnt take him in.
I hope he knows them well enough to know if he can trust them.

Old Today, 05:55 PM

977 posts, read 270,288 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. Well the thing about having a secured job there, is that people do not want to hire a person for a job if they don't live in that city, so I have to move their first, before they will hire me. It seems like a paradox, but what do you do, when faced with a paradox?

I was told by others that I should go out there and get on sets to learn and make connections. Other filmmakers said if you don't do it, then it won't happen. I've tried learning here, where am I at, but it seems like dead ends, and other filmmakers said there are way more opportunities out there. Half the students from the film school course I took, in my class, went out there, so there must be a reason for doing it.
I get this, but you still need a plan. How you will support yourself until you find a job, where you will live (and how you will secure such a place without having a job), what you will do if it doesn't happen and you need to come back, how long you will stay with nothing happening before giving up and coming back, whether you are willing to work another job to keep the rent paid until you get the job you want, etc.

These people from your film course who "went out there"-- what are they doing now? Do you know that they're actually working on movies, or did they move back in defeat or are working at Walmart?

Kiss your girlfriend goodbye. She already told you she doesn't want a long-distance relationship, and she won't be happy with the deception anyway. Sometimes two people just want different things out of life. It happens.

Quote:
I've searched online for some apartments so far in the cheaper areas, that former classmate suggested, who now lives there, but the rent seems higher in those, than what she mentioned like twice as high.

So maybe she is mentioning places I am not coming across, or I am not sure, but it's not adding up for her, compared to what she is saying so far.

And yes I am told by my parents that I really should stay out of those areas if the crime ridden. I'm not sure if they are, they seem like normal communities where people want to live, without being in the expensive areas, but not sure about the crime.
Rent can go up in an area very quickly, within a year or two. Yes, there are probably existing tenants who are paying less than a new tenant will. How long has she lived there, grandfathered into her rent price? She needs to take that into consideration if the numbers she's giving are based on what she started out paying X number of years ago.

Old Today, 06:31 PM

4,065 posts, read 1,734,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I get this, but you still need a plan. How you will support yourself until you find a job, where you will live (and how you will secure such a place without having a job), what you will do if it doesn't happen and you need to come back, how long you will stay with nothing happening before giving up and coming back, whether you are willing to work another job to keep the rent paid until you get the job you want, etc.

These people from your film course who "went out there"-- what are they doing now? Do you know that they're actually working on movies, or did they move back in defeat or are working at Walmart?

Kiss your girlfriend goodbye. She already told you she doesn't want a long-distance relationship, and she won't be happy with the deception anyway. Sometimes two people just want different things out of life. It happens.

Rent can go up in an area very quickly, within a year or two. Yes, there are probably existing tenants who are paying less than a new tenant will. How long has she lived there, grandfathered into her rent price? She needs to take that into consideration if the numbers she's giving are based on what she started out paying X number of years ago.
Rents also go up depending on the time of year. July is an extremely popular time of year to move, so the OP is probably looking at very high rents. I know in my area, if you move in the winter months, you can save a few hundred dollars. If you move now, right before school is starting up again, the rents will be at their highest. Usually rents start to get higher again around April, but if the OP is capable of starting to look in October or November, he might find that it is a little more affordable.

Old Today, 07:09 PM

38,199 posts, read 56,011,070 times
Quote:
I dont know what his ailments are, but based on what other posters said, his "Friends" are blowing smoke up his tucas and likely wouldnt take him in.
I am almost sure that's the scenario. They feed him BS because he is so gullible and perhaps to make him stop asking over and over again.
Everyone seems to make lots of promises to keep him in a good spirit - the filmmakers included, but no one really offered any jobs or other help. It's possible that most of those people are just simply tired of his "dreams". They know his capabilities and limitations.
It's going on for at least 5 years now.

His best friends and family, people who know him the most, told him to stop investing all his energy and money and learn a trade - to be a plumber or electrician. To get skills that would support him after his aging parents die. They all would like to see him get less dependent and learn to take care of himself.
His parents are worried that he spend all his money on this fixation with the movie making. They also all suggest to see the doctors and follow up with therapy, but he seems to always have a plethora of excuses to not to do it.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 07:12 PM

4,932 posts, read 1,569,608 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

She moved there recently a few weeks ago actually, which is what gave the idea, that maybe it's not so bad if she thinks so.

The other former classmate, got a job on the crew of the Riverdale series for a while, which is a current hit. So I thought if can get a job on a hit TV series, fresh out of a film school course than maybe that it's easier than I thought. But yes I won't move without telling my gf and family, I just got frustrated over them trying to get me to stay.

Maybe if Vancouver is the 3rd most expensive city to live in, that there is a better places to go for filmmaking jobs than Vancouver perhaps?

Old Today, 07:16 PM

315 posts, read 97,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
Sure, if you want to damage your relationships.

But if you are convinced that this would be a good move for you, then make the move. You'll never know if you don't try! (although I'd suggest telling your friends and family).
Yep. If this is your decision, your dream, take a chance but tell them you have made your decision and it's firm.

Old Today, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am almost sure that's the scenario. They feed him BS because he is so gullible and perhaps to make him stop asking over and over again.
Everyone seems to make lots of promises to keep him in a good spirit - the filmmakers included, but no one really offered any jobs or other help. It's possible that most of those people are just simply tired of his "dreams". They know his capabilities and limitations.
It's going on for at least 5 years now.

His best friends and family, people who know him the most, told him to stop investing all his energy and money and learn a trade - to be a plumber or electrician. To get skills that would support him after his aging parents die. They all would like to see him get less dependent and learn to take care of himself.
His parents are worried that he spend all his money on this fixation with the movie making. They also all suggest to see the doctors and follow up with therapy, but he seems to always have a plethora of excuses to not to do it.
Aw dammit. I didnt want to get caught up in another TV show, but now Im hooked and I have to see how this season ends, but it will likely be a cliffhanger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships