U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

307 posts, read 129,760 times

Advertisements

I dated a guy for about 4-5 months and we broke up ultimately because we just couldn't see eye-to-eye on a lot of stuff. It's been about a month and a half since I've seen him and we resumed friendly communication via Facebook messaging. Both of us are out there dating but neither of us is in a relationship. He often brings up how he "is down to grab a beer sometime" and he's often in my area visiting a friend.

I don't think he wants to get back together, as we had that discussion and ultimately he said he's glad we broke up because things were getting "very complicated." I also happen to know he is casually dating other women and he even says he's "not looking for anything serious at this point." He just says he "misses me as a friend" and would like to catch up.

Is this a good idea? What do you think his intentions are here?

As a side note -- I'm in my late 20s looking for a serious relationship that would end in marriage and kids. He's not looking for that right now. He's actually 33 and looking to join the military in the next year and said he might be away for 1.5 years at some point with all the training. So dating-wise we are not really compatible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

356 posts, read 63,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
Is this a good idea?
What do you think his intentions are here?
Sure, why not if you want to .(Do you want to, would you want to if this was a chick?)
To get laid but you don't have to satisfy his intentions.

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

166 posts, read 37,037 times
Will seeing him as a friend (without "benefits") be a distraction from dating and meeting someone who is a good match for you? If so, focus on your priorities. If not, go for it (assuming you like hanging out with him).

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

23,667 posts, read 33,522,553 times
I would not. I made the mistake of meeting my ex for a meal while I was in her city last year as just friends and for her it just brought up those feelings she felt when we broke up and for me it brought me a lot of guilt for putting her in that place again. I would just let sleeping dogs lie and don’t even entertain anything that would bring up the possibility of emotional investment again.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

315 posts, read 98,645 times
This will only distract you from your goal of meeting and marrying a man to have a family with. He likely wants benefits if you're willing. There is nothing there for you except distraction. You know not to go, that's why you're asking. Follow that instinct.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

7,850 posts, read 4,812,350 times
Quote:
Is this a good idea? What do you think his intentions are here?

You know what his intentions are.

He's got nothing to lose by trying.

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

1,556 posts, read 702,324 times
Quote:
What do you think his intentions are here?
From what you wrote, it's pretty clear what his intentions are:

"he said he's glad we broke up..."
"he is casually dating other women..."
"he even says he's not looking for anything serious at this point..."

If he's "missing you as a friend", it's probably because he's hoping to get some side "benefits" without having to endure the complications of a regular relationship with you.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,233,365 times
I personally don't see anything wrong with it. The choice is yours. I personally try to build something platonic with everyone I meet, and I make my boundaries very clear if applicable. It's really more about you, yourself, and how you would handle such situations. I think it is good to try to have the attitude to have as my friends or "friends" as possible and to be able to compartmentalize such a balance and advocate for yourself if appropriate.

If benefits without commitment are involved, just be straight up and tell him if you'd consider that or not, and if he's not okay with your wishes or doesn't give a clear answer, move on. If he does give a clear answer that you can be compatible with, give him a chance if you can manage your time and life well.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

119 posts, read 22,472 times
Quote:
we broke up ultimately because we just couldn't see eye-to-eye on a lot of stuff..
If you two didn't see eye-to-eye on a lot of stuff and broke up because of a lack of compatibility, what would be the basis for a friendship? Or the desire for it?

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

7,695 posts, read 4,920,979 times
Depends on the true motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or