Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 11:07 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times

Advertisements

Technology has made many things easier but there are other things that are better off left as it is. Do you think its better to meet people face to face and with time make arrangements to go out if both like each other or do you prefer online dating sites?

I can see how online dating sites can make things easier for some. You upload your profile and picture hoping you get some people to contact you and arrange to meet. Somehow, it seems to be some sort of blind date. You get to meet someone who you’ve only seen on pictures and you don’t know if those pictures were taken when they were 21 and in good shape or if they were photoshopped. The profile might say they are great people when they are not or they may not say a lot and then turns out they are great people.

Not saying meeting someone face to face or being introduced to someone is a guaranteed successful relationship but wouldn’t that be a less risky way to date?

Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Online dating by a long shot: DATA. I don't want to walk into a room knowing nothing about anyone other than they way they look. Now, if I am set up and I have the opportunity to ask questions, then that's a lot better than "cold calling" in a club.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:27 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Online dating, in my experience, is harder. It's harder to get dates. It's harder to find quality people. It often ends up in a lot of wasted time, money, and energy. That being said, some of us would find it impossible actually to meet much of anyone without it. I don't have a ton of opportunities to meet new people my age and ask them out where I am living and in my line of work. In the interweb's defense, flakey people can be found in person too.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:28 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Technology has made many things easier but there are other things that are better off left as it is. Do you think its better to meet people face to face and with time make arrangements to go out if both like each other or do you prefer online dating sites?

I can see how online dating sites can make things easier for some. You upload your profile and picture hoping you get some people to contact you and arrange to meet. Somehow, it seems to be some sort of blind date. You get to meet someone who you’ve only seen on pictures and you don’t know if those pictures were taken when they were 21 and in good shape or if they were photoshopped. The profile might say they are great people when they are not or they may not say a lot and then turns out they are great people.

Not saying meeting someone face to face or being introduced to someone is a guaranteed successful relationship but wouldn’t that be a less risky way to date?
Another online dating thread...whoopee! Online *dating* is just another way to meet & it is very convenient.....you talk, get in video, share stuff...& if it goes all well, you plan to meet for a date! It's actually better because you can take your time to get to know someone....& really see if there is potential or if you click.....before deciding on a date right away.....(like sometimes you have to do if you meet somewhere out in person)...

It's not for everyone...many older people seem to struggle with the idea...........but it's easy to sort through the fake pictures or people who won't vid with you. Sort through all the scammer stuff....& it's super easy. People grow up on social media & taking pictures...it's truly not that big of a thang....with the right precautions!!! You have to have m o r e precautions when meeting a stranger in a bar IMO...& think of all the people who have gone home with strangers....(wasn't that big in the 70's or 80's)...?? Now you have a built in way to screen them....& you don't have to go on a date unless you really think there might be a connection.......& if they are being real with you.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Online dating by a long shot: DATA. I don't want to walk into a room knowing nothing about anyone other than they way they look. Now, if I am set up and I have the opportunity to ask questions, then that's a lot better than "cold calling" in a club.
Makes sense. Didn’t try online dating before. They would walk up to me or the other way around and start from there, go to class and talk to someone and then move on from there, and so on. It might take more time this way at least for me as I would become friends first and after some time take the step of going out. By that time we would know enough from each other to at least have similar topics of interest to talk about.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Online dating, in my experience, is harder. It's harder to get dates. It's harder to find quality people. It often ends up in a lot of wasted time, money, and energy. That being said, some of us would find it impossible actually to meet much of anyone without it. I don't have a ton of opportunities to meet new people my age and ask them out where I am living and in my line of work. In the interweb's defense, flakey people can be found in person too.
Yes, like I said, meeting someone in person doesn't mean a successful relationship will come out of it but for me it seems less risky even though it might take more time but when it came to relationships I rather take my time than rush things by going out with someone who clicked on my profile.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Another online dating thread...whoopee!
Hehehe right? But on this one we are talking about why people would prefer online dating instead of going old school face to face kind of thing.

Quote:
Online *dating* is just another way to meet & it is very convenient.....you talk, get in video, share stuff...& if it goes all well, you plan to meet for a date! It's actually better because you can take your time to get to know someone....& really see if there is potential or if you click.....before deciding on a date right away.....(like sometimes you have to do if you meet somewhere out in person)...
Interesting point.

Quote:
It's not for everyone...many older people seem to struggle with the idea
I feel old now . I guess, when it comes to this, I prefer to do it as people used to do it before.

Quote:
...........but it's easy to sort through the fake pictures or people who won't vid with you. Sort through all the scammer stuff....& it's super easy. People grow up on social media & taking pictures...it's truly not that big of a thang....with the right precautions!!! You have to have m o r e precautions when meeting a stranger in a bar IMO...& think of all the people who have gone home with strangers....(wasn't that big in the 70's or 80's)...?? Now you have a built in way to screen them....& you don't have to go on a date unless you really think there might be a connection.......& if they are being real with you.
I wouldn’t be taking home someone who I just met or have gone out with briefly. I guess you can sort out people by the things they write on their profile instead of finding out later? I can see that. Would probably skip a profile if it gave me an impression of the type of girl I don’t like instead of finding out too late.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:44 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Hehehe right? But on this one we are talking about why people would prefer online dating instead of going old school face to face kind of thing.

Interesting point.

I feel old now . I guess, when it comes to this, I prefer to do it as people used to do it before.

I wouldn’t be taking home someone who I just met or have gone out with briefly. I guess you can sort out people by the things they write on their profile instead of finding out later? I can see that. Would probably skip a profile if it gave me an impression of the type of girl I don’t like instead of finding out too late.

Better than a profile is talking, sharing pictures & video chatting......

I dunno if people prefer it....it's just another way to meet a lot of people.....do both!

A N D....it's totally messed up people used to meet in bars & hook up right away...(& totally still do)..but they think meeting someone online & talking first...for weeks or even months...is *dangerous* ....

Old 07-31-2019, 11:45 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,776 times
Quote:
become friends first
This isn't the way guys are wired.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:51 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times
OLD without a doubt.

I'm too painfully shy and introverted to just go up and start chatting with a woman.

My mouth goes dry and my peripheral vision narrows, I can't think, its like I go
into a time warp and can't think of anything remotely interesting to say. Anxiety
might be the word for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships