Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 3,969 times

Advertisements

I’m trying to figure out whether I should be in a committed, exclusive relationship with the woman I’ve been dating for 5 weeks now. After 3 weeks, we made it an official relationship and announced it to others but for the past 2 weeks I’ve been thinking that was a rushed decision. When I’m not worrying about this issue, I actually have a great time with Mary (her name) but there’s often this lingering worry in the back of my mind. Basically, from counseling and getting in shape, my self-confidence has gone up a lot and there’s a part of me that wants to date many women (still including Mary) and then pick the one that I feel I’d have the best long-term, monogamous relationship with. I definitely could still see it being Mary but part of me feels I owe it to myself to have a larger sample of dating experiences and then figure out who I want to be with long-term. It’s not that I fear having to commit to one woman as far as sex goes. What I really fear is spending the rest of my life sub-optimally – living my whole life with someone and it turning out that I would have been happier with someone else. For my whole adult life, this has been a huge fear actually. It’s prevented me from ever settling down with a woman. I’m 33 and I seldom date a woman for more than a few weeks, though I’ve had 3 relationships that lasted between 6 months and a year. I never had an extended period of time (like more than a week) where I was very confident I was with the right person and had no lingering worries, including in those 3 longer relationships. Part of me thinks these worries now have nothing to do with Mary or my relationship with her and would have come up with anyone I’m dating. But another part of me thinks I’d know it and not have any doubts if I were with the right person. If I shared any of my thoughts with her and she decided she didn’t want to keep seeing me, I would consider it a huge loss. So I basically have no idea what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Do Mary a favor and let her go.

You are not good relationship material right now, and she needs to know that.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,089 times
I think when you are with the right person you don't want to date anyone else. You're happy with what you have. But I think it can take longer than 3 weeks or 5 weeks or even a few months to decide if you feel this way or not. If Mary is a great girl and you're happy, then why don't you stick it out for a couple months and see what happens? It will become clear to you that she's the right girl or you'll continue to have doubts and decide to move on.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
I think that when you are with the right person, you feel it in your bones.

Even if she is the right person, you have doubts and that's no good.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
u dont need marry or the other 3. u need counseling.
u r having trouble with yourself and committments.
something is bugging you big time.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,301 times
if you have to ask if you should stay in a relationship.. the answer is probably no

Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
So it sounds like at 33 you have finally reached a place where you are comfortable enough to date. A place most people get to when they are in high school or college. I think it's only fair, that like someone in high school and college, you keep your options open and experience what people in their teens and 20's go through...a pool of dating partners, weeding out what you like and dislike.

Most people would inform someone with little experience to not rush into a relationship.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 3,969 times
Quote:
So it sounds like at 33 you have finally reached a place where you are comfortable enough to date. A place most people get to when they are in high school or college. I think it's only fair, that like someone in high school and college, you keep your options open and experience what people in their teens and 20's go through...a pool of dating partners, weeding out what you like and dislike.
It does feel that way although I'm not sure I'm fully there yet.
Quote:
u need counseling.
u r having trouble with yourself and committments.
I think that's a fair statement too.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7991NNOB View Post
It does feel that way although I'm not sure I'm fully there yet.
There's your answer. Dont date this women.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
I only have time to comment on this, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7991NNOB View Post
But another part of me thinks I’d know it and not have any doubts if I were with the right person.
IME... False. Thinking people (including you, obviously) have doubts. There is no guaranteed way around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships