U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 10:21 PM

6,985 posts, read 3,896,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I disagree. I don't think it's okay because a lot of people would be weirded out. It used to be okay to do this type of thing at bars, but now it depends on the bar and the context.
Not all, but many people would take it as slightly creepy, especially younger people probably because now you have online/mobile options.

Better to try in a club/interest group and with a female that is by herself rather than within a group of people.

Or, if you are at a random, public place and can start a conversation because a girl is wearing a cool shirt of something you're really into, then maybe you can lead on with something like that slightly and if she doesn't seem to reciprocate well, then don't push it.
Iíd much rather talk to some random guy while I am out and about than some random guy in a bar.
Iíve had guys approach me at the market, bank, post office, beach, mall, work... etc.
I think these claims of women striking out in anger because some guy merely approached her ( unless heís being a complete DB) is the stuff of urban legend. I am sure it does happen, but not to the extent I see guys claiming here. The exception, rather than the rule.
So OP... yes it is perfectly acceptable to approach a woman in a public place like Target.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:51 PM

2,022 posts, read 981,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If some guy came up to me at Target and asked for my phone number I’d give him one of my “looks” and walk away. If he asked if I wanted to be his girlfriend I’d report him to security.
I would think most women would react this way. Sad as it is, the world is not safe for women and children. I've warned female family members about strangers approaching them, strangers offering them drinks (or leaving drinks unattended with the intent of coming back to them which is utter idiocy). It's sad that it's this way.

As a male--a big, tall imposing male--I would expect a woman to be taken aback by me randomly approaching her as she's shopping and trying to get a Mod cut. smile out of her. Thankfully I've never been that sort of pickup artist clown.

OP, I'd advise you to get a hobby and join a group of like-minded people, maybe try online dating. But at the end of the day, do you. Some women don't mind a respectful guy approaching them out of the blue.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Yesterday at 12:34 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:10 PM

819 posts, read 265,034 times
It depends how you do it. Maybe ask a few questions about something they are looking at in the store. Start there.

A few months ago - I was in Target, looking at the pop sockets for cell phone while my girlfriend was trying on some clothes... . Just as I was starting to walk away, a woman came up to me and said something about the pop sockets. We talked a few moments and discussed what we each liked about the product and how useful they were... For maybe a minute.

However, I am in a relationship and happy... So, I was rather dense about the whole thing at the time. I'm not out looking to meet a woman right now...

So, that was it, and I walked away. Just as I was walking away, though - it clicked in my head. I thought of that TV show I mentioned in my earlier post - and how I previously thought that I would eventually try this technique to meet women in a store... But, I never had to try it because I soon found a girlfriend.

Anyway, I joked with my girlfriend when I met back up with her - about what happened. She teased me - and said, "See, you had your chance to talk to a woman at the store"

So, if you try something like that - it might work. All my life, I have heard the grocery store is a great place to meet women...

Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM

6,985 posts, read 3,896,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I would think most women would react this way. Sad as it is, the world is not safe for women and children. I've warned female family members about strangers approaching them, strangers offering them drinks (or leaving drinks unattended with the intent of coming back to them which is utter idiocy). It's sad that it's this way.

As a male--a big, tall imposing male--I would expect a woman to be taken aback by me randomly approaching her as she's shopping and trying to get a Mod cut. smile out of her. Thankfully I've never been that sort of pickup artist clown.

OP, I'd advise you to get a hobby and join a group of like-minded people, maybe try online dating. But at the end of the day, do you. Some women don't mind a respectful guy approaching them out of the blue.
Who does that? Just walks up and without any conversation asks for a womanís number? What kind of a moron would walk up and ask to be your boyfriend.... right out of the blue?

If youíre in a public place sheís probably not going to be intimidated by your size. Just donít make the mistake mistake of....telling her to smile. Lol

Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM

8,224 posts, read 6,068,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlight04 View Post
I am a single 26 year old male and I’m trying to get a girlfriend or atleast develop a relationship with a female. I was wondering if it is okay if I start conversations with random women I see in a outside shopping setting such as in a Target for instance. Would that be considered awkward or can I actually develop a relationship with a random lady I see that appears to be single (not accompanied by a male or friend) by just talking to her? What would I have to say to start a conversation? Would most women feel freaked out if some random guy started talking to them?
I don't think even in this day and age anyone with a level head on their shoulders would freak out just because a guy talked to them. As long as he talks to them and acts and treats them like they are human.

Oh... Just realized you're talking about outside like maybe in front of the store. That might set a few alarms off. Some might be reminded of panhandlers. The store would be inclined to ask you to leave.

Last edited by TJenkins602; Yesterday at 02:09 AM..

Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM

8,224 posts, read 6,068,821 times
Quote:
No, I just workout in the gym and go home. I donít like speaking to women in the gym.

Whenever I go to target I usually see lots of really attractive women shopping by themselves so Iím wondering if it would be okay if I actually approached someone by starting a random conversation but Iím not sure what to say
Yeah, but in the store moreso than out in front of the store.

Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM

753 posts, read 450,814 times
in today's day and age it's more awkward than not. talking is ok, ulterior motives to hit on or date is not. I would not proceed to "make moves" on a woman you don't know unless she very obviously gives you the GO signals, and even then there's risk.

But it's all up to you, the lower level you are in society, the lower risk to yourself. If you're unemployed, a drug dealer, felon, already on the sex registry, student, then go for it if you wish. obnoxiously good looking guys can also get away with it. Many of the players fall into those categories. BUT the more successful you are in life, the farther you have to fall in the event you happen upon a crazy person that doesn't take well to your advances and decides to report you for sexual harrassment/assault. Personally, nowadays I have way more to lose than gain from trying to hit up some rando in front of forever 21.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I will recommend what ruth says below.

Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, do you have a life outside of work? Are you involved in any group activities, co-ed sports, hobby groups, volunteering? That's the best way to meet women. Conversation isn't awkward, because you're already sharing an activity you all enjoy. Conversation flows more naturally. Plus, they see you on a regular basis, whenever the group meets, so they have a chance to observe you and get to know you over time, and you--them.

Ambushing women outside of stores will have a lower chance of success.

Last edited by rya96797; Yesterday at 04:40 AM..

Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Yeah, but in the store moreso than out in front of the store.
In the stores while shopping for dresses or whatever or ambushing outside the stores is weird.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,309,761 times
Quote:
I am a single 26 year old male and Iím trying to get a girlfriend or atleast develop a relationship with a female. I was wondering if it is okay if I start conversations with random women I see in a outside shopping setting such as in a Target for instance. Would that be considered awkward or can I actually develop a relationship with a random lady I see that appears to be single (not accompanied by a male or friend) by just talking to her? What would I have to say to start a conversation? Would most women feel freaked out if some random guy started talking to them?
This question seems to be the result of media-infested "advice" on starting a relationship and it happens to be useful coverup for real creeps once "everyone does that" (thanks, Hollywood!).

In reality, if you're not a creep with bad intentions and give it a second thought before you try it out, you'll figure out just how awkward and stupid this happens to be, regardless if done in or outside the store. Chatting up strangers with the intention to "hit it off towards a date/relationship" out of the blue? Resounding NO!

Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Iíd much rather talk to some random guy while I am out and about than some random guy in a bar.
Iíve had guys approach me at the market, bank, post office, beach, mall, work... etc.
I think these claims of women striking out in anger because some guy merely approached her ( unless heís being a complete DB) is the stuff of urban legend. I am sure it does happen, but not to the extent I see guys claiming here. The exception, rather than the rule.
So OP... yes it is perfectly acceptable to approach a woman in a public place like Target.
It happens enough. And it mostly depends on the woman's perception. If it's a guy that's pretty good looking, makes reasonably smooth approaches, etc. she is more willing to accept or at least not outright reject the advances and call the cops.

On the other hand, what it if was a "weird" looking awkward ugly guy that wasn't smooth and made her feel uncomfortable? then of course the woman would "strike out in anger" or call security. The intent of the guy in both situations might be the same, but perception of the woman matters most on how well those advances would be received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or