U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,309,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
It happens enough. And it mostly depends on the woman's perception. If it's a guy that's pretty good looking, makes reasonably smooth approaches, etc. she is more willing to accept or at least not outright reject the advances and call the cops.

On the other hand, what it if was a "weird" looking awkward ugly guy that wasn't smooth and made her feel uncomfortable? then of course the woman would "strike out in anger" or call security. The intent of the guy in both situations might be the same, but perception of the woman matters most on how well those advances would be received.
You forgot the mentality that matters as well. What speak about is also true for most women, though. People are all under heavy influence of Hollywood industry, both men and women. IMO they try to emulate tge mentality, thought process and perception of men and women who are generally very dysfunctional, conflicting individuals with tons of issue and baggage.

Old Yesterday, 05:07 AM

12,553 posts, read 9,997,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I don't think even in this day and age anyone with a level head on their shoulders would freak out just because a guy talked to them. As long as he talks to them and acts and treats them like they are human.
Not freaking out is a pretty low bar of desirable human reaction.

Quote:
Oh... Just realized you're talking about outside like maybe in front of the store. That might set a few alarms off. Some might be reminded of panhandlers. The store would be inclined to ask you to leave.
I am picturing this. I just got my stuff at Target. I have my coffee in hand. mmmm Starbucks. And some guy walks up to me awkwardly (cuz he does not know what to say ... it's gonna be awkward) and asks for my number or to be his girlfriend??? Um. No. Just no.

Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Iíd much rather talk to some random guy while I am out and about than some random guy in a bar.
Iíve had guys approach me at the market, bank, post office, beach, mall, work... etc.
I think these claims of women striking out in anger because some guy merely approached her ( unless heís being a complete DB) is the stuff of urban legend. I am sure it does happen, but not to the extent I see guys claiming here. The exception, rather than the rule.
So OP... yes it is perfectly acceptable to approach a woman in a public place like Target.
OP Come back and report to us how well that works out for you.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM

2,105 posts, read 576,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why outside? It's easier to start a conversation inside ...
Yeah, I'm more about approaching ladies on the inside. I have a whole mall where I can go in and out of stores to find ladies to talk to.

But to be honest, this never works where I live because 1. They could be married 2. They have a boyfriend. 3. That sig other or husband could be right around the corner.

Anyways, women in my area aren't really opened to being approached by people they don't know.

I do recall a time where I became a regular restaurant patron and asked to be seated at a certain waitresses area where she serves so I could build familiarity with her.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Who does that? Just walks up and without any conversation asks for a womanís number? What kind of a moron would walk up and ask to be your boyfriend.... right out of the blue?

If youíre in a public place sheís probably not going to be intimidated by your size. Just donít make the mistake mistake of....telling her to smile. Lol
I got an IM from my 16yo daughter yesterday. It's official, Mom. Some old guy told me I would be prettier if I smiled. I asked if she told him to go F himself. Alas, no. She was at work.

Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald View Post
This question seems to be the result of media-infested "advice" on starting a relationship and it happens to be useful coverup for real creeps once "everyone does that" (thanks, Hollywood!).

In reality, if you're not a creep with bad intentions and give it a second thought before you try it out, you'll figure out just how awkward and stupid this happens to be, regardless if done in or outside the store. Chatting up strangers with the intention to "hit it off towards a date/relationship" out of the blue? Resounding NO!
Mad love.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

2,105 posts, read 576,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I would think most women would react this way. Sad as it is, the world is not safe for women and children. I've warned female family members about strangers approaching them, strangers offering them drinks (or leaving drinks unattended with the intent of coming back to them which is utter idiocy). It's sad that it's this way.

As a male--a big, tall imposing male--I would expect a woman to be taken aback by me randomly approaching her as she's shopping and trying to get a Mod cut. smile out of her. Thankfully I've never been that sort of pickup artist clown.

OP, I'd advise you to get a hobby and join a group of like-minded people, maybe try online dating. But at the end of the day, do you. Some women don't mind a respectful guy approaching them out of the blue.
Just think, our parents and grand parents typically met in this fashion....now...it's scoffed at.

Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

2,022 posts, read 981,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Just think, our parents and grand parents typically met in this fashion....now...it's scoffed at.
Yes, the world moves on! Times, attitudes, mentalities change! Society evolves or devolves, depending on how you look at it! No, it's not the Fifties anymore!

Strange, huh?

Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm more about approaching ladies on the inside. I have a whole mall where I can go in and out of stores to find ladies to talk to.

But to be honest, this never works where I live because 1. They could be married 2. They have a boyfriend. 3. That sig other or husband could be right around the corner.

Anyways, women in my area aren't really opened to being approached by people they don't know.

I do recall a time where I became a regular restaurant patron and asked to be seated at a certain waitresses area where she serves so I could build familiarity with her.
Life pro tip. MOST women don't walk around waiting to be "approached" by guys. Most women want to have *something* in common with the guys before the thought of going out with them even crosses their mind. My daughter learned at the ripe old age of 13 that boys will ask her out just because she is pretty. They don't know jack about her. What kind of music she likes. What she likes to do for fun. Many of us don't LIKE the fact that the only thing that a guy considers is whether or not she has an owner... um, husband or boyfriend.

Most of us, when making the big exciting trip to Target to acquire a man, are actually not. We are there to get our housewares, our cleaning supplies. I can tell you what I am thinking when it happens to me. Because, despite what one guy is saying up thread, it does happen. And quite a lot. I am pushing my cart with my groceries. And a guy asks me what I am doing? I look at him for a second as if he lost his mind. Um, pushing my groceries to my car where I will unload them. Can I help??!! No, (um) thanks. I have arms. And hands. What are you doing tonight? This is where I start to get annoyed. And want to reply something like ... well not punching you in the face since I am going to do that right here, right now. Of course I don't say that. I smile and say something benign like, none of your business. Or I might be snarky and say, picking my teeth. I love picking my teeth. I have actually said something like, I am going to bang the **** out of my **** buddy. I love it when we get together. He can do such amazing things with his mouth.

Men. Stop. Just Stop. If you don't have a life, get one. A girlfriend is not magically going to get one for you.

I was chatting with a guy from OKC. When I asked him what he liked to do for fun, he said he never really did anything but work. When he gets a woman, he wants the woman to light up his life. Think about that. What FUN! I cannot WAIT to take on the responsibility for lighting up someone's life! Giving them the wild and cray idea to go DO SOMETHING.

Just no.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM

Quote:
No they didn't. They met at church. Or through social circles. Or a decade later at work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or