Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:09 PM

8,919 posts, read 7,685,864 times

Advertisements

Ugh...so cringy...

I don't think most people who have organic natural relationships did any calculating or planning like this....they just spontaneously talked to people by being able to properly read situations and social cues. OP you're doing way too much in my eyes.....

There isn't really a right way or good way to explain it. It's more of an intuition type of thing.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:27 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,319,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
^^^Omg, that was perfect! There’s a guy like that right here...

[Snip.]
There's quite a few in my town.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-04-2019 at 11:52 PM..

Old 08-04-2019, 12:44 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,997,148 times
OP, there are places people go to meet other people - bars, Meetup groups, online dating. It can be very annoying to be approached when you are shopping, getting coffee, picking up your dry cleaning, etc.

Picture a female that you find very unattractive (for whatever reason). She hits on you as you are getting out of work. Next day, another female you want nothing to do with approaches you in the grocery. After a while it would get tiresome, right? I am not saying YOU are unattractive, I am trying to get you to see what unwanted approaches are like.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:19 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,540,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
It happens enough. And it mostly depends on the woman's perception. If it's a guy that's pretty good looking, makes reasonably smooth approaches, etc. she is more willing to accept or at least not outright reject the advances and call the cops.

On the other hand, what it if was a "weird" looking awkward ugly guy that wasn't smooth and made her feel uncomfortable? then of course the woman would "strike out in anger" or call security. The intent of the guy in both situations might be the same, but perception of the woman matters most on how well those advances would be received.
regardless of looks, i think if someone is talented with charisma and charm then it wont be awkward.

but half of us have below average personality so it will be awkward.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:26 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,545,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
regardless of looks, i think if someone is talented with charisma and charm then it wont be awkward.

but half of us have below average personality so it will be awkward.
well, there's been studies that show that women are very picky when it comes to physical attraction, which is mostly what you're offering when making cold approaches in front of a store. I think the statistic was they rated 80% of men unattractive. on the other hand, if you're a showstopper, then you wont have any issues, BUT if that were the case, the OP wouldnt have to start a thread about talking to random women in malls

Old 08-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Nothing wrong with a conversation while shopping. I'm personally the last person to initiate a conversation anywhere. I personally do not see how meeting someone at a grocery store can work. But I'm not going to brand anyone desperate, weird, pervert just because they said "Hi" to me or struck up a brief conversation. I'm a grouch and I see value in human interaction. As long as they keep it casual.

I also mentioned "talking is ok, ulterior motives to hit on or date is not. "

So yeah i agree, nothing is wrong with light conversation, should the opportunity arise. But attempting to parlay "good morning" into a sexual advance is weird.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:03 PM

6,417 posts, read 3,907,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlight04 View Post
I mean how would I approach a random girl I find attractive shopping in target ? What would I need to say and if I asked them for their phone number or if they would like to be my girl friend would they be turned off ?
Why would someone who knows nothing about you except that you're some random dude who walked up to them and liked their looks, want to be your girlfriend???

As others have said, why not get to know people and know whether you actually want them to be your girlfriend? Otherwise you're just going to be back on here complaining that there are no good women, when you're making your choices based on looks rather than personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
So OP... yes it is perfectly acceptable to approach a woman in a public place like Target.
With the caveat that it is also perfectly acceptable for her not to want to stop what she's doing to chat to a stranger, especially one who's trying to get in her pants.

Quote:
Well sometimes when I am at target walking through those walk path ways and there are like groups of teens/early 20s girls together some of them look at me so I’m assuming they think I’m attractive because they are eyeing me
Or... maybe... they are just looking at a person walking by. If every person my eyes happened to pass over thought it was because found them attractive, I wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

I'm kind of afraid now to ask how old you are... hopefully also a teenager.

Mod cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
I also mentioned "talking is ok, ulterior motives to hit on or date is not. "

So yeah i agree, nothing is wrong with light conversation, should the opportunity arise. But attempting to parlay "good morning" into a sexual advance is weird.
Agreed, but the impression I get in the world is that men don't make "light conversation" with women-- if they're talking to one, it's because they're trying to get with her, and they wouldn't just "make friendly conversation" with a woman they weren't interested in.

Quote:
I’m trying to find the best way to approach a lady at target, if I were in the women’s shoe section and I saw a cute lady looking at shoes could I say something like those shoes are very beautiful and they would look great on you?
Why would you? This is all I can think of when you suggest that: https://youtu.be/BNi7SjgxQQI?t=32

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-04-2019 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Orphaned and off-topic.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,149,542 times
Is there no one even the slightest bit concerned about the women who this dude is likely to creep the heck out?

Old 08-04-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Agreed, but the impression I get in the world is that men don't make "light conversation" with women-- if they're talking to one, it's because they're trying to get with her, and they wouldn't just "make friendly conversation" with a woman they weren't interested in.

i think it really depends... situations where you might end up talking to other men or women and not be weird is situations where you're waiting, like in checkout lines or in aisles regarding certain products. I think the assumption that if a dude talks to you, he's definitely interested sexually is a pretty dangerous one.

On the other hand, if by "light conversation with women", you mean guys like the OP following women around attempting to pick them up, then yeah your impression is accurate. lol

Old 08-04-2019, 03:24 PM

11,767 posts, read 11,976,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Is there no one even the slightest bit concerned about the women who this dude is likely to creep the heck out?
Of course not, because it's all about how he feels, to heck with how women might feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships