U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 188 times

Advertisements

I've been having such a tough time dating. Whenever things seem to be going in a positive direction, and when I mention that I'm a single parent, it's like a popped balloon. I've no idea how to deal with this. Does anyone have any advice?

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

9,033 posts, read 5,200,195 times
Maybe mention it right up front? If its a dealbreaker, then it is. No point wasting everyone's time.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM

2,025 posts, read 982,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Maybe mention it right up front? If its a dealbreaker, then it is. No point wasting everyone's time.
End of topic. The above post said it all.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 17,468,624 times
The best bet is to date other single parents. They understand.

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

4,908 posts, read 1,504,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmington View Post
I've been having such a tough time dating. Whenever things seem to be going in a positive direction, and when I mention that I'm a single parent, it's like a popped balloon. I've no idea how to deal with this. Does anyone have any advice?
There isn't anything you can do other than accept it. As another poster mentioned, it's best to be upfront about it. If it's a problem for the other person then so be it.

I'll also add that you shouldn't resent your kid for existing. It's not his/her fault that there are people that don't want to date single parents. It's not your fault either, so don't get down on yourself.

Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 374,858 times
Really? Are you sure it's the single parent thing? Seems to me there are a lot of single parents with significant others.

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

819 posts, read 266,831 times
When I was in my late 20s and trying online dating - it is true that I had zero interest in dating a single mom.

However - after 15 years of marriage, I was in my mid 40s and divorced. I had a 10 year old, at the time of my divorce (he is 12 now). How could I set that criteria, when I am a single father?

It no longer bothered me. And, if I looked for someone single at my age, more than likely they would have a child of some age. When I did my profile, I made it clear that I was a single father - and I even had a photo of the 2 of us together making christmas cookies.

It was not an issue for me. In fact, I had women tell me that they were happy to see that I had such a relationship with my son.

So, what's my point? Don't hide it. She, it may eliminate some people. But when you do meet someone - they will at least already know.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

1,157 posts, read 568,225 times
Quote:
The reason why many childless, single adults do not want to date single parents is because the odds are very high that the child won't get along with the step parent at some point. It's very common. Teens often rebel against their BIOLOGICAL parents, aunts, uncles, etc. If they can do that to their own blood relatives, imagine the rejection of a step parent.

The best compromise is probably to date another single parent because there are very many of them. You are not alone.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

1,619 posts, read 602,172 times
Why don't you look into a local Parents without Partners chapter?

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

41 posts, read 10,537 times
Quote:
Yeah, the advice is, don't give up. People always have preferences. Some wont date short folks, or tall ones, or red heads or whatever. It's a big old world and somewhere there is someone for you who wont care if your a single parent or not. There is someone for everyone. Don't stress it, don't lie about it, don't hide it. Just don't give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or