U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 01:05 PM
 
3,872 posts, read 1,791,545 times
Reputation: 7647

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Here's the thing. The guy who is a creep has NO IDEA he is a creep. No one sits in their mother's basement and thinks, How can I creep out today??
That may not be a helpful stereotype. Plenty of creepy men are on the ground floor or higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 01:09 PM
 
12,789 posts, read 10,050,793 times
Reputation: 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
That may not be a helpful stereotype. Plenty of creepy men are on the ground floor or higher.
It is not a stereoptype. It is a FACT. NO ONE wakes up thinking I am an *******. I wonder how I can be an ******* some more today.

They think, heck I want a girlfriend. Why can't I have a girlfriend? They may think things like It's a numbers game. And I have to work past the rejection...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:27 PM
 
3,872 posts, read 1,791,545 times
Reputation: 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is not a stereoptype. It is a FACT. NO ONE wakes up thinking I am an *******. I wonder how I can be an ******* some more today.

They think, heck I want a girlfriend. Why can't I have a girlfriend? They may think things like It's a numbers game. And I have to work past the rejection...
Also the MO for plenty of guys who aren't thought of as socially awkward. Or does basement dweller mean something else now? And many socially awkward men do not behave in the manner you carelessly ascribe to them.

Finally, some fairly functional men who have apartments and jobs do in fact wake up in the morning intending to behave in the manner you describe above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:30 PM
 
7,547 posts, read 11,659,006 times
Reputation: 8389
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Also the MO for plenty of guys who aren't thought of as socially awkward. Or does basement dweller mean something else now? And many socially awkward men do not behave in the manner you carelessly ascribe to them.

Finally, some fairly functional men who have apartments and jobs do in fact wake up in the morning intending to behave in the manner you describe above.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthon...xting_scandals

https://gothamist.com/2010/10/08/all...pics_emerg.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:33 PM
 
647 posts, read 336,661 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
In all actuality, there is nothing wrong with a gentle rejection. But if you are not interested, the best thing to do is to send a clear message. If you sense that the person might be unstable, do what it takes to get clear of this person while not pushing him over the edge...if possible.

It is a jungle out in the world and anything can be taken in any way depending on the person.
I agree. I think since Im more introverted I just havent run into a lot of shady guys. I just tend to be naturally selective with who I spend time with. Most guys I have been involved with were guys I knew way back in high school, or friends of friends I knew when I was 5. Ive been in a little bubble of a social world I guess. So being rude and saying Fck noo! As a response to being hit on would have been inappropriate.

That said I also traveled abroad. In Morocco stalkerish guys would follow me around. I stopped going out after dark. If they tried to talk to me I pretended I could only speak Japanese or some language they definitely wouldnt know. (Most could get by in English, French, Spanish, German etc.).

In north america in my experience it just hadnt been an issue before my stalker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:39 PM
 
12,789 posts, read 10,050,793 times
Reputation: 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Also the MO for plenty of guys who aren't thought of as socially awkward.
Aren't thought of by whom?

And, um, bingo. Must be the front row.

Quote:
Or does basement dweller mean something else now? And many socially awkward men do not behave in the manner you carelessly ascribe to them.
I never said anything about basement dweller. I said "creep". Many guys think they are just peachy when they are, in fact, creeps.


Quote:
Finally, some fairly functional men who have apartments and jobs do in fact wake up in the morning intending to behave in the manner you describe above.
Yup. They are creeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:44 PM
 
12,789 posts, read 10,050,793 times
Reputation: 16402
^^ Sucky but the truth is, what I am saying is that some of the men who come on this board complaining about women have a high likelihood of being creeps based on what they write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:54 PM
 
3,872 posts, read 1,791,545 times
Reputation: 7647
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Aren't thought of by whom?

And, um, bingo. Must be the front row.


I never said anything about basement dweller. I said "creep". Many guys think they are just peachy when they are, in fact, creeps.




Yup. They are creeps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Here's the thing. The guy who is a creep has NO IDEA he is a creep. No one sits in their mother's basement and thinks, How can I creep out today??
You actually did, unless you're claiming that distinction without a difference is in fact a difference?

Your whole thesis is off. A creep is defined by his or her behavior. Someone who behaves as a creep is, at some point, a creep. If they then consistently behave in a non creepy manner, they cease to be a creep.

And as I said, some creeps who don't fit your judgment of what makes one a creep do plan their creepy day with full awareness that they're going to creep people TF out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:56 PM
 
12,789 posts, read 10,050,793 times
Reputation: 16402
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
You actually did, unless you're claiming that distinction without a difference is in fact a difference?
Woops. My hyperbole got the best of me. One needn't be a basement dweller to be a creep.

Quote:
Your whole thesis is off. A creep is defined by his or her behavior.
Nope. A creep is in the eye of the beholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:03 PM
 
8,315 posts, read 6,094,099 times
Reputation: 5893
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I agree. I think since Im more introverted I just havent run into a lot of shady guys. I just tend to be naturally selective with who I spend time with. Most guys I have been involved with were guys I knew way back in high school, or friends of friends I knew when I was 5. Ive been in a little bubble of a social world I guess. So being rude and saying Fck noo! As a response to being hit on would have been inappropriate.

That said I also traveled abroad. In Morocco stalkerish guys would follow me around. I stopped going out after dark. If they tried to talk to me I pretended I could only speak Japanese or some language they definitely wouldnt know. (Most could get by in English, French, Spanish, German etc.).

In north america in my experience it just hadnt been an issue before my stalker.
It might just be your area because I'm an introvert and I have dealt with way more shady characters than I can count on both hands and feet.

I'm very sought out and all I try to do is go where I need to go, get some work done, and get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top