Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:23 PM

30,888 posts, read 36,926,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Some people are happy being unhappy. Whatever works for you.
That goes back to the familiarity thing. The pull of familiarity is often stronger than the pull of happiness, especially if you had an unstable, unhappy, or chaotic childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 02:43 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,339,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That goes back to the familiarity thing. The pull of familiarity is often stronger than the pull of happiness, especially if you had an unstable, unhappy, or chaotic childhood.
As the saying goes, Better the Devil you know...

Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM

2,554 posts, read 2,674,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant17 View Post
A toxic person will always be such.
I disagree with this.
People can definitely change. It's not likely, but it is very possible.

Sometimes, I feel like I had an unintentional visit in this space before.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 4,630 times
Before I ended the relationship we had been talking about moving in together. I've found that by thinking about what my life would have been like if we had done that has really helped me a lot.
It would have been complete and utter misery and unhappiness for me 100%.
Focusing on that has actually helped me stop missing her to a certain degree. Not completely but enough to help me feel a lot better.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:37 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,339,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKaymen View Post
Before I ended the relationship we had been talking about moving in together. I've found that by thinking about what my life would have been like if we had done that has really helped me a lot.
It would have been complete and utter misery and unhappiness for me 100%.
Focusing on that has actually helped me stop missing her to a certain degree. Not completely but enough to help me feel a lot better.
That does help.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,364,706 times
Quote:
I've been hitting Tinder and Bumble to find someone else. Those apps are hard work though!
it will pay off eventually. It's very easy to forget about someone, once you find interest in someone else.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:59 PM

2,066 posts, read 899,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
it will pay off eventually. It's very easy to forget about someone, once you find interest in someone else.

How does the old expression go, "the easiest way to get over someone is to get on top of someone else" ?

Something like that.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,814,771 times
Quote:
I broke up with a woman a couple of months ago. I was unhappy in the relationship and when it ended I was relieved and happy. Unfortunately I now feel like I'm missing her and I really want her back.
The thing is I know if we got back together I would be unhappy again.
Why do I feel like I want her back when I know it would end up with me being unhappy again?
Eat a Snickers.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:13 AM

15,066 posts, read 10,083,448 times
Quote:
I broke up with a woman a couple of months ago. I was unhappy in the relationship and when it ended I was relieved and happy. Unfortunately I now feel like I'm missing her and I really want her back.
Why do I feel like I want her back when I know it would end up with me being unhappy again?
My take:

You don't miss being with her.

You miss having a companion to share your life with.

Easiest way is to find another.. The better way is to give yourself some time to work through your feelings.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:47 AM

421 posts, read 237,363 times
Quote:
That's the addictive quality of relationships. Usually when you're with someone ttoxic, usually they are very good and very bad. There's an abuse cycle. Bad behavior followed by wonderful behavior, they're just so sorry for what they've done. You get hooked on the good. You know they're bad so you leave but then you miss the good.

I guess every relationship has it's good and bad. Do we listen to our head or our heart? When you're young, I think your heart for most. But where has that got most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships