U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 02:10 PM
 
Location: new to the BA & l o v e it
1,297 posts, read 298,144 times
Reputation: 1141

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
All my conclusions are based off real life observations and couples.

Most people do not love their jobs, so the thought of slaving away for another person's luxuries is the real culprit, not $ itself per se.

But like I said, if the other person doesn't support you or bring you to another tier of style of living, it's fine.
I wouldn't want to date someone who didn't love their job........that would be a depressing way to live. I love both of my jobs.....1 is a "real job" & the other is a hobby I made into income...........

 
Old Today, 02:16 PM
 
7,520 posts, read 11,643,642 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I wouldn't want to date someone who didn't love their job........that would be a depressing way to live. I love both of my jobs.....1 is a "real job" & the other is a hobby I made into income...........
Well, that's easily the vast majority of people.

If you love your jobs, then I'd have no problem with you supporting me while I turn my hobby into an income, lol...
 
Old Today, 02:24 PM
 
930 posts, read 238,102 times
Reputation: 1592
THe monkey wrench in the works is what if one person loses their job, becomes disabled, or other unfortunate circumstance. The earning power of each person can change over the life of the relationship. That's why I think it becomes a joint financial plan unless the plan is to dump the person when they can no longer maintain their level of income.

In my case I brought more financial assets into the marriage but there were times when I had a higher income, he had a higher income, I was unemployed, started a business, etc. We never concerned ourselves with the ratios of income. We just knew our total expenses and figured out a way to jointly meet those expenses and to the extent possible, save for the future

Last edited by Maddie104; Today at 02:35 PM..
 
Old Today, 02:25 PM
 
Location: new to the BA & l o v e it
1,297 posts, read 298,144 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well, that's easily the vast majority of people.

If you love your jobs, then I'd have no problem with you supporting me while I turn my hobby into an income, lol...
It's not the vast majority IMO....or I have just been lucky to meet & date men....& work with men & women.... that love their jobs....

My friends love their jobs too.....we complain about stuff sometimes ofc.....but we like what we are doing & feel we get paid well ....tho who would reject more money?
 
Old Today, 02:32 PM
 
7,520 posts, read 11,643,642 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It's not the vast majority IMO....or I have just been lucky to meet & date men....& work with men & women.... that love their jobs....

My friends love their jobs too.....we complain about stuff sometimes ofc.....but we like what we are doing & feel we get paid well ....tho who would reject more money?
Define love.

If you would quit if you won the lottery, then you don't really love it.

It's got to be something you would do even in your spare time, like painting, or reading history or, whatever.

You're well aware that most people don't love their jobs... regardless of whether or not you happen to.
 
Old Today, 02:37 PM
 
Location: new to the BA & l o v e it
1,297 posts, read 298,144 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Define love.

If you would quit if you won the lottery, then you don't really love it.

It's got to be something you would do even in your spare time, like painting, or reading history or, whatever.

You're well aware that most people don't love their jobs...
I am in that spot.....by moving in with my Bf, I would not have to keep working in my "real job"....I could get by with my "hobby income"....BUT, I am not going to do that..........because I really do love what I do.......I just want more time for other stuff.......like answering & reading comments on my channel & social media....it brings in more when I do......

People who win the lottery & quit their jobs & change their lives.....end up broke...depressed....& empty just when they won...........IMO. It's not a fix all....
 
Old Today, 02:41 PM
 
521 posts, read 140,093 times
Reputation: 1306
Suze Orman has a formula for what to use to figure percentages of expenses for each person when one makes more money. When I first met my husband I was making more. That changed about 8 years later. It doesn’t matter.
 
Old Today, 02:43 PM
 
7,520 posts, read 11,643,642 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I am in that spot.....by moving in with my Bf, I would not have to keep working in my "real job"....I could get by with my "hobby income"....BUT, I am not going to do that..........because I really do love what I do.......I just want more time for other stuff.......like answering & reading comments on my channel & social media....it brings in more when I do......

People who win the lottery & quit their jobs & change their lives.....end up broke...depressed....& empty just when they won...........IMO. It's not a fix all....
That's all fine and dandy.

But my point remains. If you think most people love their jobs, then you have an inaccurate view of society.

If you think people who work jobs they don't like are depressing losers, then I suggest you re-assess your perspective.

But just out of curiosity, what do you do?
 
Old Today, 02:51 PM
 
10,624 posts, read 4,260,371 times
Reputation: 26828
I can certainly understand that attitude for people who are newly in a relationship, and don't want to be taken advantage of.

But when I read threads like this, I do wonder - how does that actually work, long term?

If one makes a great deal more than the other, he/she would have to take any luxury vacation alone because the one can't afford to pay. The one who has money would end up at Cheddars of McDonalds when he would much rather be eating in an elegant place, but he'd have to do that alone.

Generosity in a partner (whether it's with their money, their time, their spirit, their willingness to give long back rubs) is what keeps happy couples happy.
 
Old Today, 03:00 PM
 
1,058 posts, read 350,577 times
Reputation: 1749
I'm married, and the husband and I are common potters - meaning it all goes into one pot. For the first ten years we made similar money, but life has changed dramatically. I now make 4 times what he makes, but his value to me and our marriage is absolutely 4x mine - so it all evens out. 100% fair to both of us.

Although I often think he gets the short end of the stick - I'm a difficult person to be married to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top