U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 03:27 PM
 
7,520 posts, read 11,643,642 times
Reputation: 8374

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I am not trying to say that no one hates their job. My friends...me... & men I have dated are not in that category tho..............it spills over into everything if someone hates their job....& they aren't happy...
It's a little condescending to say that everybody who dislikes their job lives a miserable existence, what about the woman who works two lower wage jobs to feed her kids.

But like I said, if you don't care, you don't care...

 
Old Today, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Texas
9,928 posts, read 3,805,243 times
Reputation: 20252
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
If there is a huge discrepancy in money, then a pre-nup could be considered.
Some people are okay with that and some don't consider that love. .
If a prenup is fair, I think it's okay to ask someone to sign one if there is a significant difference in assets. I know someone who married a woman (mail order bride scenario) and he put the house in both their names. Marriage lasted a few years and when they divorced she got half the house that he bought. His financial situation isn't that great anymore. I don't know if a prenup would have protected him very much, though. I'm not a lawyer and don't know much about prenups.
 
Old Today, 03:34 PM
 
930 posts, read 238,102 times
Reputation: 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I paid 3/4 of the bills in my marriage, but only made 20-25% more, depending on the year. I was taken advantage of and she left me with a house that was underwater financially. I won't let that happen again!
My daughter dated a guy who was very bitter. He was married a year when he discovered his wife had been having an affair. He had a high income job and she married him so he would pay her student loans off. So maybe financial exploitation is becoming more common with student loans and other indebtedness and along with it the need to protect oneself.
 
Old Today, 03:42 PM
 
6,851 posts, read 2,470,740 times
Reputation: 15719
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If a prenup is fair, I think it's okay to ask someone to sign one if there is a significant difference in assets. I know someone who married a woman (mail order bride scenario) and he put the house in both their names. Marriage lasted a few years and when they divorced she got half the house that he bought. His financial situation isn't that great anymore. I don't know if a prenup would have protected him very much, though. I'm not a lawyer and don't know much about prenups.

IF I was marrying someone primarily as a financial arrangement, I guess I'd be OK with a prenup...as long as we both know it's a financial union, and not so much a romantic union. Seems fair enough to me.


But IF this is supposedly a romantic relationship turning into a marriage, I would likely break up with the guy, if he asked for a prenup. Clearly there's no trust if I'm expected to OK the guy's exit strategy. LOL That's how I'D feel about it. LOL
 
Old Today, 03:44 PM
 
Location: new to the BA & l o v e it
1,297 posts, read 298,144 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'm amazed you know so many people who love their job. But I do see your point in that it can spill over, but it doesn't have to. You shouldn't eliminate someone for not liking their job. This is typical in America based on how companies treat their employees.
I would elminate them....because it rubs the wrong way.....if a man is unhappy with what he does in life, he is not gonna be too happy in anything else IMO...........

Nurses complain....it's not perfect ofc but most of us love it....& if we don't....we move to a different dept.!
There are many opportunities & we are paid super well....but we don't make the money some business professionals, surgeons, lawyers & VPs can make......& that is why it can't be "equal" in income........
 
Old Today, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Texas
9,928 posts, read 3,805,243 times
Reputation: 20252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
My daughter dated a guy who was very bitter. He was married a year when he discovered his wife had been having an affair. He had a high income job and she married him so he would pay her student loans off. So maybe financial exploitation is becoming more common with student loans and other indebtedness and along with it the need to protect oneself.
I think financial exploitation is becoming more common with student loan debt these days. But it seems very few people ask questions about student loans or cc debt before getting married. They just assume if the person has a good job, they are financially okay. This is a bad assumption to make. They should also look at someone's spending patterns and lifestyle expectations. It's not good if they throw money around and spend lots of time buying stuff on amazon. But it can also be a red flag if they never spend money at all and can't seem to open their wallet for any reason.
 
Old Today, 03:58 PM
 
7,520 posts, read 11,643,642 times
Reputation: 8374
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think financial exploitation is becoming more common with student loan debt these days. But it seems very few people ask questions about student loans or cc debt before getting married. They just assume if the person has a good job, they are financially okay. This is a bad assumption to make. They should also look at someone's spending patterns and lifestyle expectations. It's not good if they throw money around and spend lots of time buying stuff on amazon. But it can also be a red flag if they never spend money at all and can't seem to open their wallet for any reason.
Debt occurred before the couple was together does not count as being liable against the debt-free party.

If my partner had debt, I would help them with it, but I feel like 'you're gonna pay half because we're married' is not quite how it should work.
 
Old Today, 04:01 PM
 
930 posts, read 238,102 times
Reputation: 1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think financial exploitation is becoming more common with student loan debt these days. But it seems very few people ask questions about student loans or cc debt before getting married. They just assume if the person has a good job, they are financially okay. This is a bad assumption to make. They should also look at someone's spending patterns and lifestyle expectations. It's not good if they throw money around and spend lots of time buying stuff on amazon. But it can also be a red flag if they never spend money at all and can't seem to open their wallet for any reason.
In this case he knew about the debt and they had dated for several years. She had the lower paying job (teacher) he the significantly the higher paid and when they married he paid a significant portion of her student loan debt. It was so cold and calculating that she was having an affair the entire time of the one year marriage and it would have continued had he not discovered her spare cell phone.
 
Old Today, 04:15 PM
 
18,588 posts, read 20,442,820 times
Reputation: 27349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I can certainly understand that attitude for people who are newly in a relationship, and don't want to be taken advantage of.

But when I read threads like this, I do wonder - how does that actually work, long term?

If one makes a great deal more than the other, he/she would have to take any luxury vacation alone because the one can't afford to pay. The one who has money would end up at Cheddars of McDonalds when he would much rather be eating in an elegant place, but he'd have to do that alone.

Generosity in a partner (whether it's with their money, their time, their spirit, their willingness to give long back rubs) is what keeps happy couples happy.
We donít have a who pays more or who contributes more. Itís simply money itís there. What we do is talk about what weíre going to buy/spend.
 
Old Today, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Texas
9,928 posts, read 3,805,243 times
Reputation: 20252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
In this case he knew about the debt and they had dated for several years. She had the lower paying job (teacher) he the significantly the higher paid and when they married he paid a significant portion of her student loan debt. It was so cold and calculating that she was having an affair the entire time of the one year marriage and it would have continued had he not discovered her spare cell phone.
I wonder how much student loan debt she had? Teachers don't make tons of money. But even if he hadn't made payments on her debt, it still would have affected their joint finances in some ways. I would never marry someone who was paying child support or had massive student loans. I personally, dated mostly older men who were many years away from college and either didn't have kids or had adult children. I didn't want to marry someone else's financial baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top