U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 01:35 PM

4,185 posts, read 2,731,781 times

Advertisements

Sounds suspicious to me. It sounds more like he's worried about someone finding out you're engaged. I don't think it's about the ring itself.

Tell him if he's really concerned about the ring, you will buy a cheap ring with a fake stone (they have some that look nice) and wear that. I wonder if he will still be "worried about the ring".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 02:12 PM

227 posts, read 90,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Sounds suspicious to me. It sounds more like he's worried about someone finding out you're engaged. I don't think it's about the ring itself.

Tell him if he's really concerned about the ring, you will buy a cheap ring with a fake stone (they have some that look nice) and wear that. I wonder if he will still be "worried about the ring".
Lol literally anybody and everybody knows that we are together, there would be no reason to hide it.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:14 PM

227 posts, read 90,234 times
Well just looked up that jewelry insurance is a thing and it would be like $100 a year. It covers damage, stolen, and lost rings/jewelry. I told him about it and it makes him more 'ok' with the engagement ring not just being an occasional wear

Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM

7,066 posts, read 2,552,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Well just looked up that jewelry insurance is a thing and it would be like $100 a year. It covers damage, stolen, and lost rings/jewelry. I told him about it and it makes him more 'ok' with the engagement ring not just being an occasional wear
For what it's worth, I've heard of people choosing NOT to wear their engagement ring, if it's a big and fancy very expensive piece of jewelry. What I've heard they do instead, is to have a 'fake' one made, and they'll wear that instead. To each his/her own I would say.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:20 PM

9,937 posts, read 20,286,594 times
Umm, Kate Middleton wore Princess Di’s sapphire ring this week while sailing in a regatta. That’s just nuts.

If you have a simple ring, why not wear it to the office? However, if is a super blingy family heirloom, I would save it for special occasions for maximum effect.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,448,814 times
To each their own, but what's the point of having a ring if you are only going to wear it for special occasions? IMO it's a lot of expense to not wear it and enjoy it all the time. I wear my engagement ring all the time. I never take it off not even to shower or go to the gym. I worry way more about something happening to it if I were to be taking it on and off all the time.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM

9,020 posts, read 7,844,633 times
Have you set a wedding date yet? I was and always been very proud of my wife. Shes a good wife and an outstanding person. I'd be unhappy if she didnt want to wear her ring. In fact, she has two. The second one is a band that she got for working days.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:06 PM

38,645 posts, read 56,500,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
BF and I are going to be engaged in the next month or so.

We were talking today, and he told me that he told his best friend our plans on our impending engagement.

He let me know that him and his best friend agree that an engagement ring is NOT something you wear all the time. Rather, you really only wear it to nice events, wedding-related activities, or formal events.

I said, Ďbut I think if Iím just sitting at work or doing sedentary things, I think wearing my engagement ring is fine and nothing to worry about.

I think his biggest worry is that I lose or damage the ring.

How can I calm him down and explain that, yes wearing my ring to the gym, showering, moving, and other physical activities makes sense. But itís fine for me to wear it to places where I wonít be really doing anything other than walking or sitting?

Is he being unreasonable?
Maybe it's going to be a million-dollar rock
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:48 PM

7,389 posts, read 13,327,078 times
OP, are you generally in the habit of losing or breaking things?

It does sound very strange that a guy and his best friend are even talking about this issue when it should be just the two of you deciding. The best friend's opinion is completely irrelevant.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:43 PM

4,207 posts, read 1,807,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
For what it's worth, I've heard of people choosing NOT to wear their engagement ring, if it's a big and fancy very expensive piece of jewelry. What I've heard they do instead, is to have a 'fake' one made, and they'll wear that instead. To each his/her own I would say.
Iíve also seen situations where it is just not appropriate. I worked for a social service agency and we were typically helping people who received food stamps and other public assistance. I think itís insensitive to go around wearing an ostentatious diamond engagement ring when others are asking for public assistance. Something simple/modest is no big deal, but big and expensive? Yep... could be seen as insensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or