U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:35 PM

11,150 posts, read 17,688,237 times

Advertisements

They’re meant to be worn and enjoyed all the time, unless you don’t enjoy wearing jewelry. What a strange conversation for two men to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 AM

9,791 posts, read 5,502,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
That what jewelry riders are for. Insure it and he won't have to worry.
this... If you are a homeowner, you can check with that insurance company.

I do know people in my family who loved their engagement ring but felt it was a bit too showy or extravagant to wear to work. So they simple wear their wedding band.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:53 AM

8,245 posts, read 5,034,438 times
Mod cut.

So "they" don't want you to wear your engagement ring. Hmm.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-26-2019 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Off-topic comment.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:59 AM

12,409 posts, read 13,728,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
BF and I are going to be engaged in the next month or so.

We were talking today, and he told me that he told his best friend our plans on our impending engagement.

He let me know that him and his best friend agree that an engagement ring is NOT something you wear all the time. Rather, you really only wear it to nice events, wedding-related activities, or formal events.

I said, Ďbut I think if Iím just sitting at work or doing sedentary things, I think wearing my engagement ring is fine and nothing to worry about.

I think his biggest worry is that I lose or damage the ring.

How can I calm him down and explain that, yes wearing my ring to the gym, showering, moving, and other physical activities makes sense. But itís fine for me to wear it to places where I wonít be really doing anything other than walking or sitting?

Is he being unreasonable?
if I read this right you shouldnít have possession of that ring if you are not officially engaged.

He wants it back in a very subtle way.

I bet when you take it off he will grab it.

Iím not sure if it is because he has a big engagement surprise or if he has changed his mind.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:43 AM

2,922 posts, read 5,079,905 times
This is utter nonsense. Everyone in the US wears their engagement ring all the time, unless there is a workplace safety or sensitivity issue. Your BF is either clueless, or he's trying to manipulate you.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 AM

37,395 posts, read 46,128,212 times
If you plan on being micromanaged by your boyfriend, you might as well start by letting him dictate when you wear what. Good luck with that.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:35 AM

2,922 posts, read 5,079,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you plan on being micromanaged by your boyfriend, you might as well start by letting him dictate when you wear what. Good luck with that.
Good point. This sounds like a control issue, and your relationship might not be the healthiest.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:45 AM

10,810 posts, read 4,380,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I’ve also seen situations where it is just not appropriate. I worked for a social service agency and we were typically helping people who received food stamps and other public assistance. I think it’s insensitive to go around wearing an ostentatious diamond engagement ring when others are asking for public assistance. Something simple/modest is no big deal, but big and expensive? Yep... could be seen as insensitive.
I agree, that's the one exception.

I work in social service settings, for pay and volunteer, and that's why I don't have a showy car. I have a clean car that runs well, but never a luxury car because it's off-putting.

And I often wear only my wedding band in those situations.

OP - I think you need to figure this out before being engaged. I've never heard of a man who doesn't want his fiance to wear her ring. This behavior raises an alarm.

A clarifying question would be, what did his mother do? Does she have an engagement ring? Does she wear it? Does she have a LOT of flashy jewelry that stays in a vault?

Old 08-15-2019, 08:04 AM

17,382 posts, read 17,696,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Hmmm...I don't know what to tell you. I can't remember the last time I took mine off!

It seems odd that he wants to dictate when you can and cannot wear your ring. I hope he isn't controlling about other matters.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Are you sure he wants to get married?
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
IIRC your B/f is from another country, correct? Maybe that's how its done wherever he's from.
Good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
This is utter nonsense. Everyone in the US wears their engagement ring all the time, unless there is a workplace safety or sensitivity issue. Your BF is either clueless, or he's trying to manipulate you.
Everyone that I know wears their engagement ring 100% of the time. I have wore mine everyday for over 44 years.

Post back what happens.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:11 AM

7,876 posts, read 3,091,927 times
Why are you engaged to be engaged? Then you say you have been told you can’t wear your ring all of the time?

If he asked you to marry him, you are engaged. Did he ask, or say he’ll ask next month?

You seem to put up with some crap, tell him when he asks you to marry him you’ll be engaged and wear the ring every day, if you want, because it’ll be yours. Also, his shady buddy can but out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or