U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:24 PM

30 posts, read 4,150 times

Advertisements

Most county health departments offer free STD testing. If your new paramour cares, he will want to protect you, give you piece of mind. There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself. Ask that he get tested. Proffer to go with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM

7,719 posts, read 3,032,095 times
I ask for the tests with my annual preventative exam. My clinic uses a system called “my chart”. A lot of them do, your results are sent to you via email, or app called “my chart”. I can open it on my phone, “see my last test results? Do you have yours?” It’s worth any extra charges at the time of the exam.

Ahhh technology!

And don’t have unprotected sex unless you’re confident you’re monogamous, there are also certain activities and populations that create a greater risk to contracting hiv, heterosexual seniors aren’t at the top of the list....other than that, nothing’s 100%, so all you can really do is make an honest effort.

Good luck!

Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM

4,367 posts, read 1,621,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I just started dating again after a 43 year marriage. Iím widowed and decided to move forward.

So please teach me. What do I do if a man wants to get intimate? Iím very attracted to one I met on line. But Iím embarrassed to ask if he has a clean bill of health in that area. But I most certainly donít want an std.

Itís been a while since I dated to say the least. So how do I go about finding out if a man is STD free. Just ask I suppose. But is he telling the truth?

Any advice is appreciated.
Insist that he get tested, and shows you the results on paper. You do the same.

If he refuses, than you refuse intimacy until he complies.

Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM

9,915 posts, read 20,247,760 times
This is slightly off topic because it involves more than safe sex.

You need to be especially careful dating people you meet online, especially if you’re older and out of practice. There are quite a few men out there who prey on vulnerable widows and divorcees. They take financial advantage of lonely women and stay around just long enough to get what they’re after and then vanish.

Take your time. Don’t be rushed or pressured. Make sure you introduce him to family and friends. Do your homework. Find people you know in common. Don’t lend him money or be too generous, especially in the first year.

STD’s are a minor concern compared to a scammer’s goals.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

460 posts, read 299,429 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. They were so inciteful!!! I can’t tell you how much I appreciated all the very good advice.

Old Today, 03:58 AM

2,141 posts, read 587,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel23 View Post
Most county health departments offer free STD testing. If your new paramour cares, he will want to protect you, give you piece of mind. There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself. Ask that he get tested. Proffer to go with him.
Same here with the health dept. They don't do Herpes testings for reasons previously explained (false positives...only test if there are lesions and it's not a blood test, but a swab of the affected area, etc.)...so I figured no harm no foul there.

https://www.self.com/story/why-docto...ly-test-herpes

The U.S. Preventative [Services] Task Force has recommended against screening asymptomatic adolescents and adults for HSV infections. The rationale is that there is no health benefit that’s been proven and there [are] a couple of risks,” Dr. Johnston says. “One is a false positive test, and the second is a risk of anxiety…[Herpes] is not associated with serious health outcomes, yet it’s still feared.

So if someone insists on it, and it comes out negative (which is good news), it may not necessarily BE good news...as the person could be carrying it, but it not possible to fully detect in a test. Sometimes false negatives can result. It cannot be confirmed in someone that's asymptomatic

So you'd be like, "Yay, I'm negative for herpes, lets have sex!" You have sex, transmit it the undetected virus, and viola....the other person is infected".

Test for herpes can happen, but they are rarely accurate or representative.

Last edited by ThisTown123; Today at 04:10 AM..

Old Today, 07:33 AM

641 posts, read 271,911 times
Condoms are always a good policy, particularly early on and if the guy is... ahem, intact

Old Today, 09:16 AM

12,094 posts, read 7,437,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanMarlton View Post
Condoms are always a good policy, particularly early on and if the guy is... ahem, intact
The choice to use a condom should have nothing whatsoever to do with a man's circumcision status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships