U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 12:16 PM

13,390 posts, read 25,710,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Men do get a version of baby fever, and it is contagious. Is anyone in your daily life (coworkers, family) having kids?

Also possible is a death of an elder or a death around OP. It seems to make that DNA thing kick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 PM

10,011 posts, read 3,839,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The bottom line is that you do have a biological clock too. It's pretty normal, and it varies per person.
This is true. Men's fertility also declines with age. Although not as severely as women, but it does. Which is why most fertility clinics won't accept sperm donors over the age of 40.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Try fostering a child. You'd be 'doing good' while you 'test drive' what parenting is like. Your fantasy of what being a father is may not line up with the reality of parenthood, and fostering isn't permanent like adoption.
A child, especially one who has already been through abandonment or abuse, doesn't need to be used by someone for a "test drive".

Old 08-11-2019, 12:19 PM

43,775 posts, read 42,398,909 times
While men can't make children indefinitely, science shows that their urge to does increase as they get older.

Either way, it is beginning to sound like the OP's situation is more psychological than biological, and I do think he could/should seek out resources to deal with that.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:10 PM

13,469 posts, read 22,054,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
How do women do it, like Madonna or these rich movie stars? They pay big bucks for sperm from MIT or Stanford (it's basically eugenics).
A guy like the original poster could find eggs from super models (also very expensive). There's got to be a clinical service for this....

The other thing is, there are utilitarian benefits of two parents. What's the kids supposed to do while you're at work if there's no mom? Day Care? Your parents?
The two children Madonna birthed were fathered by Carlos Leon and Guy Ritchie. Which one went to MIT, and which one went to Stanford?

Old 08-11-2019, 01:15 PM

7,487 posts, read 3,108,448 times
Not exactly your situation OP but was reminded of it. A former co-worker also had hoped to be a dad someday but after a nasty drawn out divorce (no kids) he was understandably hesitant. A recently-married lesbian couple he knew asked him if he'd father their child. It seems to have worked out really well. He now has a son he adores and is very involved with but there is no "relationship" with the mother. Everyone gets along and ended up with what they wanted. I don't know what if any financial support is involved but knowing all the parties suspect it's voluntary.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-11-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 PM

2,688 posts, read 2,008,618 times
Having the urge to be a father is different from having the responsibility as a father. You have to truly understand what it is like to be a father. If you plan on raising a child from birth, then you have to know everything that comes with it as being a father, such as waking up every 3-4 hours if not 1-2 hours of every 24 hours, changing diaper, bringing the kid to see doctor when he or she is sick, etc....

If you just feel like oh being a father is to share some time with a kid and be their mentor, you are probably not ready for it.

It is a huge responsibility.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:18 PM

13,469 posts, read 22,054,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A child, especially one who has already been through abandonment or abuse, doesn't need to be used by someone for a "test drive".
You're not wrong. I can't imagine any foster agency would place a child in his care.

If there is any reason he would be unfit to foster that would be abundantly evident. Something tells me OP is not interested in any child that isn't biologically his own anyways, especially after listing 'choosing the name' as one of the reasons he wants to be a dad.

I'm relieved that men who are incapable of finding a relationship are thusly rendered incapable of becoming parents. If someone can't figure out how relationships work, they probably aren't good parenting material either.

I'm just sharing my opinions.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:34 PM

43,775 posts, read 42,398,909 times
Quote:
The two children Madonna birthed were fathered by Carlos Leon and Guy Ritchie. Which one went to MIT, and which one went to Stanford?
And where are supermodels dropping all these eggs like stiletto-wearing Easter bunnies?

Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'm relieved that men who are incapable of finding a relationship are thusly rendered incapable of becoming parents.
Same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or