U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 09:48 PM

725 posts, read 133,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Well, should a woman breed for him and just hand over the baby to him, with no strings attached? It doesn't work that way. And it's not really ideal for a child to just have one parent.
That's not what I was suggesting.

The person implied that he shouldn't have kids because he doesn't want to be in a relationship. He can have a child with a lesbian couple or a single woman...just because he's not in a relationship doesn't mean he'd be a terrible parent.

I know someone who "couldn't figure out how relationships work" when she had her child, she was a lesbian single mum and a very good one. She later remarried but at the time she had her kid she was single. By the other's posters logic she shouldn't have had that child. I think it is prejudiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 12:29 AM

7,486 posts, read 3,108,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I know a lesbian who has a parenting arrangement with a guy (who is gay), he fathered the child and they conceived through artificial insemination (aka turkey baster)

She found him on coparent-match.com, I think it was.
A relative's granddaughter wanted a child but didn't want a formal relationship or marriage either. She "chose" a close friend as the father. They are not married, don't live together, and he does not pay formal childcare that I have heard. He's very involved with both of them and they often attend family functions together, but as friends. Their little daughter has always been told who Dad is, but she has her mom's last name. Dad is around a lot, but doesn't happen to live with them.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:30 AM

7,486 posts, read 3,108,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Did he "do it" with one of them?
No.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 AM

8,974 posts, read 7,811,799 times
Children need a mother and father.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:10 AM

2,184 posts, read 1,725,533 times
Quote:
That's not what I was suggesting.

The person implied that he shouldn't have kids because he doesn't want to be in a relationship. He can have a child with a lesbian couple or a single woman...just because he's not in a relationship doesn't mean he'd be a terrible parent.

I know someone who "couldn't figure out how relationships work" when she had her child, she was a lesbian single mum and a very good one. She later remarried but at the time she had her kid she was single. By the other's posters logic she shouldn't have had that child. I think it is prejudiced.
It was a veiled gender bash. That poster and the concurring responders probably have no problem with your lesbian friend's situation, even if all other factors were held constant.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Children need a mother and father.
I know one that's got 2 mothers, and is doing very well.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:37 AM

26,276 posts, read 28,718,038 times
Quote:
I know one that's got 2 mothers, and is doing very well.
That's pretty much what everyone says about non-traditional relationships. The truth of the matter is we really don't know the long term effects of such relationships on children because not enough of the children of these relationships have been studied in enough quantity (of people and length of time).

I remember back in the 1970s and 80s it was (and still is, to some extent) fashionable to say divorce didn't hurt the kids. Now, a ton of research (from liberal academic types) says it's quite damaging in most cases.

Old Today, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's pretty much what everyone says about non-traditional relationships. The truth of the matter is we really don't know the long term effects of such relationships on children because not enough of the children of these relationships have been studied in enough quantity (of people and length of time).

I remember back in the 1970s and 80s it was (and still is, to some extent) fashionable to say divorce didn't hurt the kids. Now, a ton of research (from liberal academic types) says it's quite damaging in most cases.
Much of the research says that children of gay people do just as well as children of straight people: https://www.apa.org/about/policy/parenting

Old Today, 11:03 AM

40,687 posts, read 40,248,076 times
Quote:
Much of the research says that children of gay people do just as well as children of straight people: https://www.apa.org/about/policy/parenting
"Studies" are much like opinions, they can vary. I've become very wary of studies because lots of them can be skewed to slant a way in which one wants them to slant.

Many studies are worthless, not say that one was/is, I'm just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or