U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:17 AM

12,754 posts, read 10,050,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
I've never been married in my life but currently have a long-distance relationship. I know we're going to eventually get married and sometimes this can provoke an uneasy feeling even though he already said he would never hit me. I have no idea what's it like being proud of your marriage and having a husband that never ever hit you. That must be a wonderful feeling; for a woman to be respected in that manner and always feel safe.

Out of 100% what are the chances of having a successful marriage and never ever get hit (no matter how heated an argument turns out) by a husband?

Note: Please stop referring to other past threads unrelated to this question. I don't wish to get bullied here again. I've felt some of you were bullying me.
Never get hit? I fear for you. That is such a crazy low bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 11,170,543 times
Married about 13-1/2 years and I’ve never hit my wife. Even in the middle of our worst arguments it has never occurred to me to hit her.

Old Today, 05:36 AM

14,496 posts, read 17,494,329 times
I was married for 15 years and was never hit/no violence. And no woman I personally know has reported any physical violence in their marriage. I hope this helps.

Old Today, 06:27 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,753,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Never get hit? I fear for you. That is such a crazy low bar.
It's low alright but apparently many men in the family couldn't even follow that easy, obvious expectation. They all failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Married about 13-1/2 years and I’ve never hit my wife. Even in the middle of our worst arguments it has never occurred to me to hit her.
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I was married for 15 years and was never hit/no violence. And no woman I personally know has reported any physical violence in their marriage. I hope this helps.
It helps restore some hope.

Old Today, 06:33 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,753,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Well as birdie suggested...I’ll speak for that 1:3 or 1:4. Given I met him when I was 18, came from a dysfunctional family, low esteem, all the prerequisites for disaster, I actually don’t feel like I was in an abusive relationship, but yeah...towards the end he developed an all consuming drug addiction that turned him into an entirely different person.
Sorry to hear that.

Old Today, 06:59 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,089,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
Thanks for the answer. That's still a lot.
I'm going to be nervous when I get married. There might be a short period I might take some precautions till I feel safe and reassured he isn't the type to hit.

It's refreshing whenever I hear about a man that never lay a hand on his wife (even when they've been married for lets say 10+ years) in anger. Chivalry is a wonderful trait in a man but I guess that's rare.
I would think you shouldn't even be marrying a person until you KNOW he's not the type to hit. Neither of my husbands ever hit me, nor would I have expected them to. It wasn't something they ever stated to me, nor did we discuss it. It was a basic expectation on my part, and I wouldn't even have been dating them in the first place if I had an inkling that their behavior indicated any violent tendencies. My mantra has always been "Touch me in anger, you're going to draw back a nub". I've never had to state that, but maybe I've just given off that strength of will, because I've never been hit by a man. My late sister, on the other hand, was married to a violent, alcoholic abuser for over 30 years. I never could understand it, nor could our Mom.

Old Today, 07:16 AM

170 posts, read 33,554 times
If this question is already on your mind then you should hold off on getting married for now, especially if you grew up with abusive family members.

Old Today, 07:51 AM

7,719 posts, read 3,032,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I would think you shouldn't even be marrying a person until you KNOW he's not the type to hit. Neither of my husbands ever hit me, nor would I have expected them to. It wasn't something they ever stated to me, nor did we discuss it. It was a basic expectation on my part, and I wouldn't even have been dating them in the first place if I had an inkling that their behavior indicated any violent tendencies. My mantra has always been "Touch me in anger, you're going to draw back a nub". I've never had to state that, but maybe I've just given off that strength of will, because I've never been hit by a man. My late sister, on the other hand, was married to a violent, alcoholic abuser for over 30 years. I never could understand it, nor could our Mom.
Yeah...see this is why I should’ve put a little more thought into contributing.
Do you think 1:3 maybe forgot to discuss that this isn’t “what they want”?
Never mind.

Old Today, 08:09 AM
Lou

288 posts, read 115,734 times
I never hit an SO. I would get physically aggressive only if she forced me to defend myself.

There was some violence in my extended family (slap and shove type of stuff), and I resolved that such behavior wouldn't happen in my household. I've told that to every woman I've gotten serious with, and that if I ever felt things getting that primitive I would just end the relationship right there. Likewise, I would immediately end it if she initiated any physical violence. Zero tolerance for violence.

Old Today, 08:17 AM

634 posts, read 336,661 times
Ive never been married but I cohabited with a guy who was abusive, physically and psychologically. I didnt know this when I moved in with him or of course I wouldnt have, but he actually showed violence the day we moved in. He pushed me so hard I flew several feet and landed on my ass on the floor.

That was a "wtf?" moment for me but it wasnt bad enough to call the police or file assault charges. I was not injured, no bruises, just really shocked.

Also, I had given up my apartment to get an apartnent with him, and had no other place to go.

Lets just say the abuse escalated. Eventually I got family help to leave, and stayed with family after that. Without family help I would have been stuck, basically a prisoner, as he was very controlling as well and had successfully isolated me from my friends, and had convinced his entire family that I was the problem.

But most other men I have been in n relationships with were not this way. Its not the norm in America. I consider that a pretty isolated experience in my dating history. And none of my relatives or friends have been in physically abusive relationships that I know of. Well one friend was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or