U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM

12 posts, read 911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
It is easy for a website administrator to see how many hits a website page is getting. A relatively high number of hits over a short period of time could have triggered an investigation into the source of those visits, or could simply have raised a red flag. Who knows? Either he doesn't work there, or someone got wise to your obsession with his page on the site. Visiting the page twice a day is definitely a higher than average number of hits. They can also see how long you are staying on the page.
So are they able to tell that it's me who's been looking at his page over and over again?

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

4,639 posts, read 2,370,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amogersum View Post
I have no idea what any of that means.
the log contains users ip-address - datestamp - file the user is browsing - web browser and version the user is using - operating system and version of the computer the user is using.

the traceroute kinda' indicates the users i.s.p. is close to seattle.

if i was a server admin and saw that 1 random picture goes from 0 hits in several weeks to over 50 in a single day from the same web browser , i would assume something fishy (d.o.s. ?) and pull the pic if i ask the person whose profile it is and they say 'its probably my crazy ex-girlfriend'.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; Yesterday at 06:50 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

43,744 posts, read 42,365,139 times
Quote:
So are they able to tell that it's me who's been looking at his page over and over again?
They could if they investigated, but if they had you likely would have heard from the police by now. Restraining orders can apply to online activities as well.

It really would be a shame if this guy couldn't conduct normal business activities, like having his photo and credentials on his company website, because his ex wouldn't control her compulsive behavior.

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
They could if they investigated, but if they had you likely would have heard from the police by now. Restraining orders can apply to online activities as well.

It really would be a shame if this guy couldn't conduct normal business activities, like having his photo and credentials on his company website, because his ex wouldn't control her compulsive behavior.
Well, I've already stopped looking at it. I thought it was a "victimless crime," because I didn't know that anyone would ever know I was looking at his pictures. That's why I made this thread; I'm trying to figure out whether my looking at his pictures is causing him difficulty or not.

Now that I know that it's even possible that it's hindering him, I've stopped going to the site altogether.

Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

43,744 posts, read 42,365,139 times
Quote:
Well, I've already stopped looking at it. I thought it was a "victimless crime," because I didn't know that anyone would ever know I was looking at his pictures. That's why I made this thread; I'm trying to figure out whether my looking at his pictures is causing him difficulty or not.

Now that I know that it's even possible that it's hindering him, I've stopped going to the site altogether.
Yay, you're learning!!

So ask yourself why you'd want to participate in any "crime," victimless or not.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM

3,817 posts, read 3,039,264 times
Quote:

Didn't you actually stop because his photo is gone?

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

12 posts, read 911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Didn't you actually stop because his photo is gone?
I did not.

I stopped because I found out that my viewing the pictures may actually be impacting someone somewhere.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

12 posts, read 911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the log contains users ip-address - datestamp - file the user is browsing - web browser and version the user is using - operating system and version of the computer the user is using.

the traceroute kinda' indicates the users i.s.p. is close to seattle.

if i was a server admin and saw that 1 random picture goes from 0 hits in several weeks to over 50 in a single day from the same web browser , i would assume something fishy (d.o.s. ?) and pull the pic if i ask the person whose profile it is and they say 'its probably my crazy ex-girlfriend'.
Can you estimate the likelihood that this is what happened? Do most server admin's keep a close eye on the number of hits that a certain page gets?

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

1,569 posts, read 710,097 times
Quote:
My interaction with him will never go beyond simply looking at his pictures.
If that was really the case, he wouldn't have needed to get a restraining order after breaking up with you. Think about that for a second. You are obsessed and a perfect example of why movies like Fatal Attraction even exist. A true bunny boiler indeed.

Right now, you're just being utterly selfish. If you truly cared about him, you would cease your online stalking of him, get some help, and move TF on.

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

4,639 posts, read 2,370,647 times
Quote:
Can you estimate the likelihood that this is what happened? Do most server admin's keep a close eye on the number of hits that a certain page gets?
^ things like these can log/monitor/alert in real-time:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ar-4175645577/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ar-4175645578/
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ar-4175645576/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships