Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:09 AM

159 posts, read 61,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
Yup.. she's exhibiting signs of obsessive controlling behavior and possibly mental illness. I think you should not be someone long-term. Plus, she wants to settle down asap for marriage. Stop wasting her time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I agree that from what is posted here, it seems as though your GF is being a jerk. That said, there are some other details that might change my opinion. Was the expectation that she would be your full-time caregiver? Would she be commuting to/from work/school while caring for you? If so, then maybe it does make more sense to stay at her place.

But if she dumped you over wanting to go home? Sounds like you had other issues going into this, maybe stemming to the lack of marriage, commitment, etc.

I'm sorry, and I hope you heal and feel better soon!
I actually went to look for engagement rings and was planning on moving to NJ as my commitment to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:13 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
You lost me at “I asked my girlfriend if I can heal in my apartment.” Then went on to give her a lengthy explanation to try to convince her to let you do that? Then you appeased her when it was you that was ill? Wow.

She sounds like a real winner.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Was the expectation that she would be your full-time caregiver? Would she be commuting to/from work/school while caring for you? If so, then maybe it does make more sense to stay at her place.

But if she dumped you over wanting to go home? Sounds like you had other issues going into this, maybe stemming to the lack of marriage, commitment, etc.

I'm sorry, and I hope you heal and feel better soon!
I would think that a two year relationship is serious enough that one partner should be there for the other if one is ill. If the person who has a mass and surgery and thus, enough to deal with, has to plead his case on where to spend his recovery and fear a negative response, that makes me very sad.

The comfort of the person who is ill should be priority number one and if she has to commute after work to get there, then that is what you do, if it's a true relationship. It's not about HER comfort and ease, it's about HIS recovery from a serious health issue.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:33 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
How long is the healing process expected to be?

Old 08-13-2019, 10:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
You lost me at “I asked my girlfriend if I can heal in my apartment.” Then went on to give her a lengthy explanation to try to convince her to let you do that? Then you appeased her when it was you that was ill? Wow.

She sounds like a real winner.
To be fair, so does he.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How long is the healing process expected to be?
2 to 3 weeks.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:59 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I don't understand how your choice of convalescence location has anything to do with her safety. Did anyone say she had to visit you, while you recover? Why can't she let your family and friends, whoever, attend to you and they see fit, and you can relocate to her place once you've recovered?

There seems to be a big piece missing from this story, unless I missed something. It makes no sense for you to live out-of-state, away from your health team, just because she's not comfortable in your neighborhood. No one asked her to venture into the Bronx during your recovery, did they? More info needed, OP. And--how long would your recovery take? How much "time out" from the relationship are we talking?

Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I would think that a two year relationship is serious enough that one partner should be there for the other if one is ill. If the person who has a mass and surgery and thus, enough to deal with, has to plead his case on where to spend his recovery and fear a negative response, that makes me very sad.

The comfort of the person who is ill should be priority number one and if she has to commute after work to get there, then that is what you do, if it's a true relationship. It's not about HER comfort and ease, it's about HIS recovery from a serious health issue.
I agree. But I'm trying to figure out why this would be a deal-breaker for her. A phobia of the Bronx? Ok, anxiety is very real, but that by itself doesn't make any sense to me for her to dump her healing boyfriend of 2 years. Like, that's a B* move and she knows it. Even a not nice person would wait for him to heal and then dump him, for the optics if nothing more.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand how your choice of convalescence location has anything to do with her safety. Did anyone say she had to visit you, while you recover? Why can't she let your family and friends, whoever, attend to you and they see fit, and you can relocate to her place once you've recovered?

There seems to be a big piece missing from this story, unless I missed something. It makes no sense for you to live out-of-state, away from your health team, just because she's not comfortable in your neighborhood. No one asked her to venture into the Bronx during your recovery, did they? More info needed, OP. And--how long would your recovery take? How much "time out" from the relationship are we talking?
Of course thier is a big piece of the story missing. Like a court room. You need two sides of a story in order to paint the picture of what is really going on. My recovery is about 2 to 3 weeks.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,409 times
I don't understand why she would dump you over this. It's controlling behaviour. You should recover where you feel comfortable and she should be able to accept that. I also thought the statement "I asked my girlfriend if I can heal in my apartment" was revealing. You shouldn't be asking her if it's OK to convalesce where you want to...she should be on board with what is best for you at this time. If she's not, I'm guessing there are bigger problems in the relationship that she's dumping you over. Either that or she's controlling and you're better off out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships