U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 12:53 PM

13,049 posts, read 10,112,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Almost everybody I have known in my life values fine dining, at least occasionally. The only issue I have seen is whether or not it is affordable to a person.

I have never heard anybody complain that someone treated them dinner at a restaurant that was very expensive.
So why did you ask? You had SOMETHING in mind? For myself, I think I would catch myself thinking about doing it on his dime and would I feel bad about it.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:30 PM

193 posts, read 39,703 times
Bruh! Just swing by McDonalds and get her a McDouble, small fries and a diet coke. Then yall can see a dollar movie, i hear Dark Phoenix is still playing.

She'll be all yours after this, trust me

Old 08-15-2019, 02:32 PM

10,089 posts, read 3,869,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezku View Post
i dated a guy who made a habit of paying for expensive dates, even tho i told him i didn't think it wasn't necessary or budget-wise. then suddenly, he needed to 'borrow' from me!!
Sounds like he needed a Dave Ramsey course.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 PM

13,049 posts, read 10,112,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sounds like he needed a Dave Ramsey course.
Someone mentioned how old money stays rich and new money doesn't. INSTANTLY made me think of Ramsey.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:57 PM

12,227 posts, read 7,480,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Someone mentioned how old money stays rich and new money doesn't. INSTANTLY made me think of Ramsey.
I don't know about Dave Ramsey, but I was the one who mentioned that. Like people who hit it rich fast with a win in the lottery or even the rock stars you see who sign a contract and get a big payout, but then they blow it and have to go on ~another~ farewell tour or something because the bills need to get paid. People who come into money and don't have the mindset of how to handle it, usually wind up in worse shape for it before too long. For various reasons. My boyfriend calls it "stupid money." He recalls getting an inheritance, and he spent most of it frivolously, but once it ran out...he struggled to adjust his habits back to a sane place within his means. Ended up declaring bankruptcy. This was a long time ago, but he said the experience sure taught him some things.

Contrast that to when I worked in a drugstore in an "old money" area in Cincinnati. We had this old lady come in when there was a really good sale on toilet paper and she'd have her weekly ads and coupons and she'd clean us out of the product that was on sale for low prices. Turns out she was one of the richest people in the city, from a very old, wealthy family. Her frugal habits ensured that was not going to change, any time soon.

And that's an easy thing to say, but I bet that even the "old money" folks do have their indulgences. So it's only a matter of priorities, as there is no such thing as truly unlimited money (lol unless you're Tommy Wiseau!) and sooner or later, it is a choice of this or that.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM

685 posts, read 345,908 times
Old money people are very insular and you can say stagnant? I grew up around old money. San Marino Ca/Pasadena. The thing that makes them different from new money is they dont blow it on foolish investments, or purchases that dont make sense. Buying a new $100k car every 2 years? New money move. Making foolish land or real estate purchases which invariably go bottom up, and are a total loss? Also new money move.

Old money looks far ahead. They hold on to their mansions and pass them down for generations. They keep their cars running long as they can. They eat at home etc. They invest. Its much more of a long view than heading to Vegas and having an 8some with prostitutes while swimming in dom perignon. That said, I think a lot of it is just how anxious and frugal someone is. Im just anxious and frugal, but I know other family members that ran through their inheritance within a year. Million inheritance, because they wanted to be splashy and impress mostly. Going out to a restaurant spending $2000, for a party. Silly decision.

I feel glad I got the frugal genes though. It might be funner in the short term to blow money. Im sure its a rush, if one isnt thinking of the future. But Im thinking of 50 years from now. For that reason if a guy were willing to drop $500 on me on a first date, I might question his judgment. For a very special occasion it would make more sense. Not just getting to know someone though.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:28 PM

7,111 posts, read 1,527,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I don't know about Dave Ramsey, but I was the one who mentioned that. Like people who hit it rich fast with a win in the lottery or even the rock stars you see who sign a contract and get a big payout, but then they blow it and have to go on ~another~ farewell tour or something because the bills need to get paid. People who come into money and don't have the mindset of how to handle it, usually wind up in worse shape for it before too long. For various reasons. My boyfriend calls it "stupid money." He recalls getting an inheritance, and he spent most of it frivolously, but once it ran out...he struggled to adjust his habits back to a sane place within his means. Ended up declaring bankruptcy. This was a long time ago, but he said the experience sure taught him some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Old money people are very insular. The thing that makes them different from new money is they dont blow it on foolish investments, or purchases that dont make sense. Buying a new $100k car every 2 years? New money move. Making foolish land or real estate purchases which invariably go bottom up, and are a total loss? Also new money move.

Old money looks far ahead. They hold on to their mansions and pass them down for generations. They keep their cars running long as they can. They eat at home etc. They invest. Its much more of a long view than heading to Vegas and having an 8some with prostitutes while swimming in dom perignon. That said, I think a lot of it is just how anxious and frugal someone is. Im just anxious and frugal, but I know other family members that ran through their inheritance within a year. Million inheritance, because they wanted to be splashy and impress mostly. Going out to a restaurant spending $2000, for a party. Silly decision.

I feel glad I got the frugal genes though. It might be funner in the short term to blow money.
I agree, although I am simply older and frugal from years of having to be. When my husband and I finally had money to splurge (starting about seven years ago), we felt no need for expensive cars or to move to a more expensive home, although we did have some small splurges, such as buying fairly good wine instead of the boxed stuff. However, it did not take us long to discover that for us, a $30 Cab was just as good as an $80 bottle, for example. And we never did develop a taste for $40 tee-shirts when an $8.00 tee was just as good. And I still shop sales and clearance!

Old 08-15-2019, 09:40 PM

5,567 posts, read 6,019,868 times
Yeah.
She may think you have one thing in mind - food!

Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 PM

18,720 posts, read 20,587,517 times
Quote:
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
Depends on the woman. Some women are easily impressed and will give up the goods. Some won’t and are only looking for a free meal. And some have self esteem.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:01 PM

233 posts, read 268,129 times
Quote:
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
No. I would feel flattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or