U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 PM

348 posts, read 128,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Have we really become that jaded?

35 years ago, my (now) husband took me to a very romantic and very expensive (for him back then) restaurant for our first date, and I was just very pleased and flattered. It didn't even occur to me that he had any other motives than just wanting our first "real" date* to be very special -- and nothing was expected on either of our parts. Now we had been friends for 2 1/2 years before that, however, so I don't know if that had any bearing on anything, but all I know is that it was very special and memorable.

*We had done things together as friends before then, such as going on bicycle rides together or just for a walk on the beach, but that was just as friends.

I have a feeling the OP is talking about stupid dating apps. In that case, I think taking first dates to a super fancy restaurant is a bad financial decision. Way too many women use these apps to get free meals. We're talking lining up "dates" every night of the week, taking advantage of poor dudes like the OP. Seriously, take the girl to get coffee or sandwiches or something. Let your personality shine through, not your pocketbook. If she thinks your being cheap, you don't want to be with her in the first place.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:11 AM

14,498 posts, read 17,526,953 times
I'd think he's either a foodie with a bit of disposable income, or he's a high flyer who eats like that all the time. Our conversation during date will help me tell the difference. As for him expecting sex, that will also become evident on the date, because men who think transactionally like that way will likely indicate that they expect sex during the date. So basically, I'd treat it as a "wait and see" thing.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 AM

15,005 posts, read 12,441,383 times
Women today are giving it up for grubhub pizza. No need to waste $200 on 3 spoon fulls of food.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:08 AM

7,815 posts, read 3,062,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Women today are giving it up for grubhub pizza. No need to waste $200 on 3 spoon fulls of food.
I tell ya! Don’t say Groupon, but if the guy is as hot as the fried chicken, fancy cloth napkins weren’t going to tip me over the edge.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:39 PM

742 posts, read 205,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Have we really become that jaded?

35 years ago, my (now) husband took me to a very romantic and very expensive (for him back then) restaurant for our first date, and I was just very pleased and flattered. It didn't even occur to me that he had any other motives than just wanting our first "real" date* to be very special -- and nothing was expected on either of our parts. Now we had been friends for 2 1/2 years before that, however, so I don't know if that had any bearing on anything, but all I know is that it was very special and memorable.

*We had done things together as friends before then, such as going on bicycle rides together or just for a walk on the beach, but that was just as friends.
If a guy took me for fast food, I would think he wants sex
If a guy took out my trash I would think he wants sex
If a guy made me sandwich and I vomited it on his floor I would think he wants sex

I just think guys want sex

Old 08-16-2019, 02:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,354,226 times
And yet there was this regular male poster who wished he could meet and have a relationship with someone who was into Netflix and takeout. But then there were so many posters who berated him for being a damn cheapass and said what's the point of Netflix and takeout when the women could do that themselves and didn't need a man for that.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:00 PM

193 posts, read 39,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
And yet there was this regular male poster who wished he could meet and have a relationship with someone who was into Netflix and takeout. But then there were so many posters who berated him for being a damn cheapass and said what's the point of Netflix and takeout when the women could do that themselves and didn't need a man for that.
Oh really, which regular poster was that pray tell?

Old 08-16-2019, 03:01 PM

5,563 posts, read 1,392,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
I have eaten at some pretty high end restaurants but never seen a $200 entree.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:02 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,630,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
Either you're young, inexperienced or not that financially well off.

Your question is basically, "if you have a date does it guarantee intimacy?"

The answer is no.

Old 08-19-2019, 01:07 PM

6,402 posts, read 6,154,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
If a guy took me for fast food, I would think he wants sex
If a guy took out my trash I would think he wants sex
If a guy made me sandwich and I vomited it on his floor I would think he wants sex

I just think guys want sex
It's that idea that all guys want is sex and all women want is a guy's wallet and live off him. Crazy world I am telling ya'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or