U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM
 
5,133 posts, read 2,524,131 times
Reputation: 4667

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
If you take a woman to a $200/plate restaurant that has no Michelin stars, she'll wonder why you are wasting your money. You have to make a difference if you want to get laid!

 
Old Yesterday, 12:31 AM
 
5,133 posts, read 2,524,131 times
Reputation: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Sorry you don’t get to be the alien. I don’t agree with you all of the time, but I see your point here. I’ve been on a lot of dinner dates, I’ve never had to give it up for prime rib or catch of the day. When the menu says: “ask” instead of listing the price, I know it’s not going to be $6.99.

It’s flattering. It’s very nice, I say thank you.

I was going to eat dinner anyway, so if I decide I’m inviting a guy and paying, I don’t expect him to be in tiptop performance after that 5 course meal, either —it’s just dinner for chrissakes.
Does the ladies menu say "ask?"
 
Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM
 
5,133 posts, read 2,524,131 times
Reputation: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Do you have proof that tons of women use dating apps to get free meals? I did online dating for at least a year and very few men do dinner on the first date. Very few. It's mostly coffee or a beer. And most women I know are well capable of affording their own food to eat. They aren't starving to death waiting for a man to feed them.
You need higher standards!
No dinner, no date. Make them work for it.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:01 AM
 
853 posts, read 473,117 times
Reputation: 825
The real question is if there's top quality duck on the menu. Would that be considered a sign?
 
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM
 
5,133 posts, read 2,524,131 times
Reputation: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
The real question is if there's top quality duck on the menu. Would that be considered a sign?
The delicacies of the mallard are beyond culinary palattes.
 
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM
 
7,815 posts, read 3,062,565 times
Reputation: 12885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Does the ladies menu say "ask?"
Ah, you know she shouldn’t ask, “no prices for m’lady.”
 
Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Colorado
12,227 posts, read 7,480,849 times
Reputation: 21928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You are projecting your socioeconomic class on someone else. Someone high income taking a dinner date in a high end NYC restaurant could be like me taking someone to an Olive Garden.
And I think that's why I have expressed that I'd be uncomfortable with it, mainly. I'm doing ok but I am not THAT wealthy, and if I were to get there, I would not want it to be because I found a man to pull me up into a higher socioeconomic ranking. I'd want to arrive in that echelon of society by my own merits and efforts...or not at all. Or, I could be ok if I began a relationship with a man and we were both in about the same strata, but some event like an inheritance changed our fortunes (together) much later on. But we'd need years to build trust and bonding before that happened.

I guess part of that is that I've heard so much noise about women who chase after men with money, I don't want any partner of mine EVER to think that I love him for such a reason, rather than for who he is. When I love a man, I'm all into his whole self. And I want him to be able to see that and have faith in that, because it's true.

At this point, if I went on a date with a man and he were either far more (obviously) wealthy than I, or far less so, I would not feel comfortable. And furthermore if a guy acted like he had to put on a show, flash a bunch of money around, jump through hoops to impress or entice me, I would also feel like he was putting me on some kind of very strange pedestal. I'm a pretty down to earth human being...I don't like things that seem overly pretentious. This would, for me.

But I'm not suggesting that any other woman should feel this or that way about it. Seems there are women who would appreciate it and be flattered, which is probably good since there are men who would want to do such things! Lids for pots and all.

I think that most of the dates my fiance and I went on, in the early months of our relationship, were at the Ihop up the street. It's convenient and I like breakfast food. We each paid for our own, and we still do when we eat out. He has proven his worth to me in other ways.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
 
339 posts, read 108,192 times
Reputation: 251
Every woman will think differently. I wouldn't likely let someone spend that on an early date (probably on any date) unless I knew he had lots of money. Money spent guarantees nothing. Does it really matter what she will think?
 
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
 
14,327 posts, read 7,646,510 times
Reputation: 26197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
And I think that's why I have expressed that I'd be uncomfortable with it, mainly. I'm doing ok but I am not THAT wealthy, and if I were to get there, I would not want it to be because I found a man to pull me up into a higher socioeconomic ranking. I'd want to arrive in that echelon of society by my own merits and efforts...or not at all. Or, I could be ok if I began a relationship with a man and we were both in about the same strata, but some event like an inheritance changed our fortunes (together) much later on. But we'd need years to build trust and bonding before that happened.

I guess part of that is that I've heard so much noise about women who chase after men with money, I don't want any partner of mine EVER to think that I love him for such a reason, rather than for who he is. When I love a man, I'm all into his whole self. And I want him to be able to see that and have faith in that, because it's true.

At this point, if I went on a date with a man and he were either far more (obviously) wealthy than I, or far less so, I would not feel comfortable. And furthermore if a guy acted like he had to put on a show, flash a bunch of money around, jump through hoops to impress or entice me, I would also feel like he was putting me on some kind of very strange pedestal. I'm a pretty down to earth human being...I don't like things that seem overly pretentious. This would, for me.

But I'm not suggesting that any other woman should feel this or that way about it. Seems there are women who would appreciate it and be flattered, which is probably good since there are men who would want to do such things! Lids for pots and all.

I think that most of the dates my fiance and I went on, in the early months of our relationship, were at the Ihop up the street. It's convenient and I like breakfast food. We each paid for our own, and we still do when we eat out. He has proven his worth to me in other ways.

So what if it's the very affluent guy and that Michelin star restaurant where you have to make reservations weeks in advance? The guy had someone cancel and needs a fill-in dinner date rather than cancel. Your only ask is to be a pleasant dinner companion.


Someone that affluent doesn't need to put on a show.
 
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
 
Location: California
960 posts, read 262,586 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, I'm curious about how people would react to this. Suppose you are having dinner with a woman at a 5-star restaurant where the entrees are $200.

Is she going to think you are doing this only because you want guaranteed intimacy from her?
I wouldn't want to go to a restaurant like that even if he was paying. That's INSANE. It would make me sick to spend that much money on food.

If a guy wanted to spend that much money on me, I'd request he buy me a NORMAL dinner and donate the remaining amount to a good cause.

I wouldn't think he only had one thing on his mind. But I would think he had ridiculous spending habits, and that would be a huge turn off to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top